Strikers

roosram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want your strikers to score around 30 to 35 league goals in a season, at the minute we have...

Only if you want to finish mid table at best, getting a 20+ goal a season player pushes you up the table.

30-35 goals a season that leaves 50ish coming from the rest of the team just to finish mid table.

Only if you want to finish mid table at best, getting a 20+ goal a season player pushes you up the table.

30-35 goals a season that leaves 50ish coming from the rest of the team just to finish mid table.

Usually a play-off side will score around 65 goals, midtable 55 and relegation dogfights >50... doesn't always work out, one season swansea finished 7th only managing 40 goals, in my opinion you want..

Strikeforce -> 30-35

Midfield -> 20-25

Defence -> 10-15

which is far from unreasonable, a 20 goal a season striker isn't needed at all, in fact if you a relying on one player to get goals you will find uncertainty, in the season under Billy Davies, how would we of faired if Howard was injured for 10-15 games? we'd of definitely been mid-table fodder, instead of spending 3 million on one striker, much wiser to spend 1million on 3 strikers but that's just my opinion.

I to would rather spend a million on a striker as think we can get a decnet one for that (not a championship name as people want though). I would spend the million left over on the midfielder we need to conduct things from the centre of the park.

If Norwich gets the lad from Birmingham as rumoured then Grant Holt should become available and that is one striker i would buy as he hits all the things we are after big striker who can hold the ball up, can score goals and can play up front on his own

If Tyson and Davies could keep fit I do think we have enough strikers, Ball needs to go out on loan when everyone is fit, he could become the battering ram we need! I think Grant Holt would be more than happy to stay at Norwich and dont think we should even waste our time asking about him!!!

Usually a play-off side will score around 65 goals, midtable 55 and relegation dogfights >50... doesn't always work out, one season swansea finished 7th only managing 40 goals, in my opinion you want..

Strikeforce -> 30-35

Midfield -> 20-25

Defence -> 10-15

which is far from unreasonable, a 20 goal a season striker isn't needed at all, in fact if you a relying on one player to get goals you will find uncertainty, in the season under Billy Davies, how would we of faired if Howard was injured for 10-15 games? we'd of definitely been mid-table fodder, instead of spending 3 million on one striker, much wiser to spend 1million on 3 strikers but that's just my opinion.

But if Swansea had had that striker they would have probably got into the play offs.

Dont understand your comment about Howard, we got promoted because of Howard, had we not spent that money of him, and brought in the 3 strikers you are talking about, we would have finished mid table. You have to pay for quality, thats why proven strikers command such a high transfer fee.

I to would rather spend a million on a striker as think we can get a decnet one for that (not a championship name as people want though). I would spend the million left over on the midfielder we need to conduct things from the centre of the park.

If Norwich gets the lad from Birmingham as rumoured then Grant Holt should become available and that is one striker i would buy as he hits all the things we are after big striker who can hold the ball up, can score goals and can play up front on his own

Grant Holt would still command a decent wage and a big fee, which I agree with you we should stay well away from, especially as strikers in this division (the majority) have one good season and dine out on it.

I think we need 3 players to come in, a striker who can hold the ball up, like you said grant holt is great but he wouldn't come cheap, I suspect it would be his last major contract and coming off the back of a good season, he would want around 15-20k a week, and norwich would at the very very very least want around 1.5million,2million, I suspect no less than 3 though, still in the squad every game and scored a few goals. I honestly don't know where we could go with this, because I am not a scout, I do however think we may have to either go for someone out of form, and build them up or search abroad, there are no proven, available around only players like Howard, Hulse and could even count Harewood into that!

The only proven target man in the leagues at the minute is Lambert and Rhodes, Lambert would cost around £4million and Rhodes around £2million, both significantly out of our price range!

But if Swansea had had that striker they would have probably got into the play offs. Dont understand your comment about Howard, we got promoted because of Howard, had we not spent that money of him, and brought in the 3 strikers you are talking about, we would have finished mid table. You have to pay for quality, thats why proven strikers command such a high transfer fee.

I was implying that how often does a striker play over 50 games in a year, without coming off? it was an unreasonable to expect that and without him we would of been mid-table, Steve Davies for instance much better goal to game ratio as a striker than Howard in a Derby shirt but keeps getting injured, we could blow our transfer and wage budget on a billy sharp who I think can leave for 4million, and would command a 20k wage easily! we can't afford for him to get injured, so unless he agrees to a pay as you play, I would edge our bets as it were.

I was implying that how often does a striker play over 50 games in a year, without coming off? it was an unreasonable to expect that and without him we would of been mid-table, Steve Davies for instance much better goal to game ratio as a striker than Howard in a Derby shirt but keeps getting injured, we could blow our transfer and wage budget on a billy sharp who I think can leave for 4million, and would command a 20k wage easily! we can't afford for him to get injured, so unless he agrees to a pay as you play, I would edge our bets as it were.

Celtic apparently looking at Rhodes for January which would pretty much rule out any championship side if true

We don't need a target man, we just need someone that is mobile and has an eye for a goal..

People bang on about Holt and Lambert as target men, yes they are big and good in the air, but don't be fooled into thinking that is all they have in their locker.. Both players are decent on the floor and move about.. Lamberts movement ripped our defence apart at times..

Target men are your typical lump it up type guys, I think you are using the term too loosely.. Crouch, K.Davies and Steve Howard are typical target men, all strong in the air but lack real movement.. Lambert, Holt and Rhodes are far better along the floor than you give credit for..

Also a 20 goal a season striker isn't that neccessary.. Well the scoring part, other strikers help contribute to 20 odd goals by doing the team play to go with it.. Shane Long rarely scores 20 goals a season but he easily creates more than that with his superb touch, vision and movement..

I have no doubt that Theo could contribute to 15-20 goals a season through his general play.. We've missed him badly, he's been far better than any of our other strikers this season..

Two obvious signings that would have improved us greatly up top were Le Fondre (Reading) and Craig Davies (Barnsley).. Both very good for this level and also very cheap..

We got loads of strikers, fair do's they not very good but we have loads!! Don't expect any more in until we have sold some, and I can only really see clough getting rid of maguire and can't see many wanting him!!

Now what we do need is. STREAKERS ( of the lady sort) that would give the team a boost and would prob be the breast bit of action at p.p for a long while!!

Plays for Watford pal! Don't rate to highly plus he injury prone (not good for us)

Just saw him a few times last season and he was half decent, but he did spend most his time on the bench AND transfer list.

Speaking of Watford, Sordell is surely due a transfer. Hes looked pretty comfortable at this level for a while now. Young, fast and a bit of promise in front of goal.

Archived