Tesco rip off.....

Subman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They keep half a million people out of job centres and offer cheap food with decent offers plus a reward card. Don't get all the hate?

If it wasn't for Tesco I'd have to go to the local corner shops and pay ridiculous prices and live off junk food.

If they made £3.5bn pre-tax profits this year fair play, or are we just supposed to hate businesses that make decent money?

They keep half a million people out of job centres and offer cheap food with decent offers plus a reward card. Don't get all the hate?

If it wasn't for Tesco I'd have to go to the local corner shops and pay ridiculous prices and live off junk food.

If they made £3.5bn pre-tax profits this year fair play, or are we just supposed to hate businesses that make decent money?

I hate shopping, therefore I hate Tesco, simples

I can see points from both sides - it's a shame that farmers markets, green grocers and butchers are going out of business - but for me, the prices they charge can be a bit high (the price of veg is an example of this) - I feel it's cheaper going to Tesco's, but saying that, Tesco veg doesn't keep as well. You have to blanch it quite quick as it's only got a couple of days before it's past it's best.

But, where Tesco have the market nailed is in it's convenience. I can get everything I need all in one place, which is good for me seeing as though I don't drive, I don't drive about using petrol between the supermarket, butchers, veg bloke....looking for all the best bargains and as Daveo says, order it online and get it delivered straight into your kitchen for a fiver, or a quid cheaper if you don't mind having it delivered in the evenings! I do that, it saves me on bus fare there and taxi money back home, which would normally cost me £7.50.

Then, at the end of the year, use your clubcard vouchers (we got over £100 last month) which you can double up and spend on pressies. It works for us. Other supermarkets don't offer the same voucher scheme at Christmas and a lot of people find them vouchers useful.

Same, even though I'm a good 15 mile away from my nearest supermarket I'm fecking glad.

Where are you living, always presumed you were in Carlisle? I'm working at Sellafield at the moment so I'm based in Millom during the week.

Back to topic, its sad seeing so much tradition, culture and ofcourse small businesses being lost to Tesco. Its not surprising to hear of Uttox's example, government should be protecting the market place from such a monopolising bully as Tesco but money obviously talks.

I can see points from both sides - it's a shame that farmers markets, green grocers and butchers are going out of business - but for me, the prices they charge can be a bit high (the price of veg is an example of this) - I feel it's cheaper going to Tesco's, but saying that, Tesco veg doesn't keep as well. You have to blanch it quite quick as it's only got a couple of days before it's past it's best.

But, where Tesco have the market nailed is in it's convenience. I can get everything I need all in one place, which is good for me seeing as though I don't drive, I don't drive about using petrol between the supermarket, butchers, veg bloke....looking for all the best bargains and as Daveo says, order it online and get it delivered straight into your kitchen for a fiver, or a quid cheaper if you don't mind having it delivered in the evenings! I do that, it saves me on bus fare there and taxi money back home, which would normally cost me £7.50.

Then, at the end of the year, use your clubcard vouchers (we got over £100 last month) which you can double up and spend on pressies. It works for us. Other supermarkets don't offer the same voucher scheme at Christmas and a lot of people find them vouchers useful.

It comes down to whether you're prepared to pay the premium for ethical shopping. Tesco are only going to exasperate the price difference the larger they become as they bulk buy on increasingly ridiculous levels. I personally don't want to browse through everything in one shop from electronics to clothes to food, I hate the soulessness of a massive warehouse packed full of miscellaneous goods.

Where are you living, always presumed you were in Carlisle? I'm working at Sellafield at the moment so I'm based in Millom during the week.

Back to topic, its sad seeing so much tradition, culture and ofcourse small businesses being lost to Tesco. Its not surprising to hear of Uttox's example, government should be protecting the market place from such a monopolising bully as Tesco but money obviously talks.

In a small village between Kendal and Penrith.

Hate all this snow, a nightmare to get around.

Read this as well. It's well dodgy. Basically the gov are forcing jobseekers to work for Tesco for free.

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/16/young-jobseekers-work-pay-unemployment]http://www.guardian....ay-unemployment

I think it's pretty disgraceful considering Tesco are making profits.

Mmmmm, that's pretty bad if it's true - is it a ploy so the government can play down the youth unemployment figures? I thought my YTS wage in the 80's was bad enough. 40 hours a week for £25.00.

The government get away with paying peanuts and the employer gets free labour. They're always going to be the winners but to make a profit like Tesco does and not pay them a penny is shocking.

Archived