Christmas Day in your house.

ladyram

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally hate Christmas as it's the only time of the year I really miss my family (living in Japan). This year will be better as it will have a little meaning as I can share it with my wife and new addition.

I asked my students the other day how long Christmas lasted for and the answer was between one hour and one day. Only 40% had ever heard of Jesus and most thought the meaning of Christmas was simply giving presents. These students are 18~21.

On a different note campers, we all think Jesus was born on December 25th but I don't think that's strictly true - wasn't he born in March? From what I remember from me history, when Jesus was born, December didn't exist as isn't it true the year ended in October? Wasn't it something to do with the Greek alphabet ending with O for Omega being the last letter of the alphabet?

It was an attempt by the church to wipe out paganism but to do it subtly and slowly, obviously orchestrated by Constantine the Great who was seeing his Roman empire dividing along religious grounds- not acceptable. To this day, Pagans still celebrate Yule (starting on Dec 25th), a winter festival very sacred to them. Catholic mass takes place on a SUNday (and not on the traditional saturday) to coincide with the pagan day of worship (Pagans worshipped mother nature and the sun). Most Pagan churches were infiltrated with christian works (and later vice versa) which is why the confusing symbology of the Roman catholic church takes a lifetime to understand. Truth is noone knows the month or the day Jesus was born or even the year. In summary, the church makes it all up as it goes along, that some people actually believe a word is beyond me. But, each to their own.

I generally hate Christmas as it's the only time of the year I really miss my family (living in Japan). This year will be better as it will have a little meaning as I can share it with my wife and new addition.

I asked my students the other day how long Christmas lasted for and the answer was between one hour and one day. Only 40% had ever heard of Jesus and most thought the meaning of Christmas was simply giving presents. These students are 18~21.

They need proper education that the true meaning of Christmas is getting drunker than Father Jack. For the whole of December.

its all a load of expensive ******,and i have to be nice to people i would like to kick in the eye.

possibly one of the funniest posts of all time........... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Glad to hear you're not spending Christmas on your own this year mc, hope you have a good one.

The idea of Christmas being about giving presents isn't too far from the truth when you think about it. It all started with St Nicholas giving gifts to children didn't it? Or from a religious point of view, didn't it start with the 3 wise men giving gifts to Jesus? That's a bit of a contradiction though if he was born in March. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

This is my 3rd Christamas straight away from England, parents and my brother.. It's also the only time of the year I wish I was back there.. Cold weather, snow, proper Xmas tree, the lights, presents, family dinner, English people smiling and laughing, the chocolate and the movies on the telly..

I miss it all..

Anyway I'll get up early, go and play football with the guys around 10am - Midday then I'll head off to my girlfriends house for a family dinner and then I'll probably go to the cinema or something in the evening.. With the weather being a mild 26 degrees I imagine.

This is my 3rd Christamas straight away from England, parents and my brother.. It's also the only time of the year I wish I was back there.. Cold weather, snow, proper Xmas tree, the lights, presents, family dinner, English people smiling and laughing, the chocolate and the movies on the telly..

I miss it all..

Anyway I'll get up early, go and play football with the guys around 10am - Midday then I'll head off to my girlfriends house for a family dinner and then I'll probably go to the cinema or something in the evening.. With the weather being a mild 26 degrees I imagine.

Aw, bad luck Bris - someone else missing the cold comforts of dear old Blighty.

My sister, who's off to live in Oz (she flies out on the 20th of Dec) told me yesterday she's spending Christmas Day in a mansion (belonging to friends), complete with huge swimming pool, the bbq and the sunshine. I could tell she's not convinced by it as it's totally unfamiliar. We moan about the dark nights and cold whether but in all honesty I wouldn't want it any other way.

Just been given my itinery for Christmas Day. Apparently I'm up early in the morning for present opening. Allowed to stay up for welcoming in-laws before slipping back up the wooden hill to bedfordshire. Sleep til about 6pm then off to work about half 7. Get in Boxing Day morning around 7 and repeat...apart from the present opening situation, there'll be none of that Boxing Day more's the pity.

Just been given my itinery for Christmas Day. Apparently I'm up early in the morning for present opening. Allowed to stay up for welcoming in-laws before slipping back up the wooden hill to bedfordshire. Sleep til about 6pm then off to work about half 7. Get in Boxing Day morning around 7 and repeat...apart from the present opening situation, there'll be none of that Boxing Day more's the pity.

Surely you'll be able to listen to us smash the leeds scum?

Archived