defence let clough down yesterday

Curtains

What are you talking about? I wasn't disputing that, I was just saying he was one of our best loan signings last year

What are you talking about? I wasn't disputing that, I was just saying he was one of our best loan signings last year

Calm down, calm down, merly intimating he did not play in the best period of last season.

We signed Robinson on the strength of him making Barker look a right twit when scoring Milwalls second goal against us .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calm down, calm down, merly intimating he did not play in the best period of last season.

We signed Robinson on the strength of him making Barker look a right twit when scoring Milwalls second goal against us .

We were linked with him when Millwall first signed him from Huddersfield long before he played against us.

It's got nothing to do with that duck, we'd talked about him before that.

And i'd be putting money on Angyemang or someone like that being looked at. Vine isn't going to improve us and I can't see Hulse arriving, even if I personally would go for him.

The problem is that we've only just needed them, Robinson has always been able to lead the line for us and anyone can play just off of him and see us do well. Without Robinson there, we've got very little, he's an unorthodox target man. Not an actual target man that you can boot the ball to, but his play holds the ball up or wins it back.

I suspect someone similiar will be looked at, Agyemang for example. I'd love to see us get Simeon Jackson here but i'm unsure of his status at Norwich at the moment, I was gutted that we didn't move for him when Norwich did originally.

Think Jackson is getting little but some game time so unlikely, plus chris Martin has just gone out on loan I think. He could have probably done a job.

Got to agree I think with robinsons injury we do need a loan now but we were fine before (was very impressed with Bennett when I saw him v Pompey which was a very mature cameo)

CM to be fair has been one of our strongest positions all season with Hendrick and Bryson in so original worries for an experienced head were solved from within and same goes for OB and shacks.

In short didn't need loan cover but with losin Theo we do now.

On a side note any news on how serious theos injury is?

May I remind you that our best period last season came about because of loans .

Partcularly a C/F, who is now flirting them in for Oldham .

Not disputing that I'm just saying that people moaned when we had loans and didn't use our own youth system in past.

Jake Livermore springs to mind

I don't think he just throws them in though. O'Brien is in a bad patch but is clearly a good player, and so is Hendrick, he's done well with them both.

I think hendrick has something but dont see it with O'Brien sadly, I dont think he looks as good as Pablo Mills did or Steve Elliott. He is just a bit of a stopper who came in and did ok. I know he could learn etc but I dont see the tools he has to be a good player.

Think Jackson is getting little but some game time so unlikely, plus chris Martin has just gone out on loan I think. He could have probably done a job.

Got to agree I think with robinsons injury we do need a loan now but we were fine before (was very impressed with Bennett when I saw him v Pompey which was a very mature cameo)

CM to be fair has been one of our strongest positions all season with Hendrick and Bryson in so original worries for an experienced head were solved from within and same goes for OB and shacks.

In short didn't need loan cover but with losin Theo we do now.

On a side note any news on how serious theos injury is?

It's all opinions isn't it? In my opinion, we needed loan signings after the Southampton game. When Steve Davies got injured, the warning signs were there that with numerous first-team players, including our first-choice centre back, central midfielder and only right back, suffering with long-term injuries already, the squad needed a shot in the arm. Instead Clough decided to persevere and put his faith in the current squad. It was a gamble that clearly didn't pay off.

No one hates loans more than I do, they should IMO be banned, but needs must, as they say.

It is what it is at the end of the day, a short term plug.

But it still doesn't explain why clough is blamed for using them when youth is available then using youth when loans may be available.

Correct me if I'm wring but it seems we may get a loan in by Thursday but I'll bet my motor on the fact that the 'clough haters' (I.e those that blindly blame clough for the recent fog) will moan of the quality of this loan before he even kicks a ball. Infect they will probably come armed with a list of players that they have personally enquiries about and budgeted for seeing as they know so much about the behind the scenes of football.

The sheer pig headedness of football fans will never cease to amaze me!

one or two loans can enhance the team, as can one or two youth players, it's when you go to the extremes of playing 5 youth players in one game, or relying too heavily on loans like we did last year that you come unstuck.

It seems fairly obvious to me.

O'Brien will be quality one day, for now he's League Two level and once Barker is back he could do with being loaned out there for 6 months to get him constant first team football.

Hes been thrown in to CHampionship football when he's not ready for it, he will be within a few seasons, but not quite yet. If he wasn't good enough we'd have known before now at the start of the season.

He WILL be good enough, but not someone we should be relying upon at this moment in time.

No point getting rid of Buxton, O'Brien would benefit from it, Buxton can step in as third/fourth choice if needed, aswell as Naylor. (Though it'll be a learning curve with him too).

In January O'Brien would benefit from a loan move, somewhere in League Two where he can learn his trade that bit more. At the moment, he's not ready for this league so we might aswell get him improving somewhere else while we have back-up.

And he's still alright in this league as it is, it's just that when off-form and without a top defender next to him he's going to make mistakes and we're going to be punished for them.

Agyemang is just speed, that's it. And the only reason they sent him back was because their strike force hit I think 9 goals in 5 games or something like that. They didn't want to extend the loan for someone who's not needed anymore.

It's all opinions isn't it? In my opinion, we needed loan signings after the Southampton game. When Steve Davies got injured, the warning signs were there that with numerous first-team players, including our first-choice centre back, central midfielder and only right back, suffering with long-term injuries already, the squad needed a shot in the arm. Instead Clough decided to persevere and put his faith in the current squad. It was a gamble that clearly didn't pay off.

It is yes and I won't knock him for it because with theos form and the availability of ward and Maguire ( who you would have expected to play every game with a point to prove) along with some very competent displays from Bennett and young Balls goal scoring for the reserves, I would have done the same.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Theo went down yesterday when no one was anywhere near him, rotten luck, Maguire, excuse my French, was utter sh1te yesterday and uninterested (bad form is expected when in and out, ask my missus, but lack of effort is not tolerated at any level in any country) Bennett may need a bit of time just to settle down before having another crack at it, though still an option, and Ball is still as such untried.

CM and CB have looked somewhat fine with the young uns but I would say now green and barker could freshen this up quite nicely and keep both of them (especially henricks agent) on there toes and on ground level.

Brayford I'm guessing Anderson and croft were seen as adequate cover and injuries to both was a shock, maybe not Anderson, but by that time Buxton could get is to the 2 week break and now brayford is back and Naylor is cover

He WILL be good enough, but not someone we should be relying upon at this moment in time.

Sorry to be picky Alex, but 'will' is used in the English language as a prediction.. So putting it in bold is only pointing out your opinion (prediction) further.. If you want to make out it's a 100% certainty, you need the words 'GOING TO'

And I think one day he will be good enough.. But I'm not 100% certain 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Sorry to be picky Alex, but 'will' is used in the English language as a prediction.. So putting it in bold is only pointing out your opinion (prediction) further.. If you want to make out it's a 100% certainty, you need the words 'GOING TO'

And I think one day he will be good enough.. But I'm not 100% certain 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I write on here as I speak, i'd have emphasised that word if i'd spoken them, hence the caps 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I write on here as I speak, i'd have emphasised that word if i'd spoken them, hence the caps 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

But it's still a prediction, no matter how much you emphasise it.. If you want to be a journo and are 100% certain on things these are the little words you need to pick up on 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

But it's still a prediction, no matter how much you emphasise it.. If you want to be a journo and are 100% certain on things these are the little words you need to pick up on 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I'm not writing articles here chap, i'm writing my thoughts. Have you not noticed how many typo's I make on here? Haha.

This is the equivalent of writing on facebook to me, not columns for a weekly blog.......

And besides, I am one, it already pays my way as it is 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> But thank you for the concern, I shall write properly henceforth.

Archived