Cwyka and Maguire

RotherhamRam

I don't think it was working well personally, i'm not sure if you can remember the Ipswich game but with those two in the middle it was all pretty passing going forwards but no-one to stop the Ipswich players getting forward, if Liam Trotter and Danny N'guessan could finish we could have easily been 3-0 down in that first half.

He made an attempt to get someone in and couldn't, whether he decided it wasn't worth chasing or he just had the one target in mind is up for debate. With the attacking options we had at the time and the fact that Bryson can play there and probably add more bite to things then i'm not sure it required a loan in for first team action though. Clough has said before that we're light in centre-midfield and we were linked with a few players, plus the move for Oakley, so I think it's something Nigel was looking at but didn't see as that much of a priority.

To be honest, moving Bryson should've meant that Cywka could've played somethere in that attacking three, not sure why that never happened.

Saturdays display

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturdays display

Saturdays display has alot more than just that to blame on what happened and you know that. The Portsmouth game worked out pretty well didn't it?

We've had those two playing together for a while, with either them or someone else in midfield we're still getting overrun, last saturday was about having no strikeforce and the ball coming back against a less than impressive defense.

Saturdays display has alot more than just that to blame on what happened and you know that. The Portsmouth game worked out pretty well didn't it?

We've had those two playing together for a while, with either them or someone else in midfield we're still getting overrun, last saturday was about having no strikeforce and the ball coming back against a less than impressive defense.

Maguire yes Cywka came on I believe as a sub and hardly touched the ball and did not attempt to get the ball.

Don't get me wrong I want these two to do well as I believe they can make a difference. However Maguire has had one gd half aginst Shewsbury and 55 mins against Portsmoth but nothing else with his sub and starting performances.

Cywka in the home games he has played including Villa did nothing to warrant a place. He too has had one good game against Reading but was not there honestly to say was it a good game or was it the goal.

It is ok having these two players in the side IF and I mean IF, only if the team is doing well. However neither player are capable to role up their sleeves and get stuck in to the other team. Until they can do this and work hard for the team then they will not play and rightly so. Against Portsmoth defence played well they had no midfielder playing well like ours at the moment and certain players did not try their hardest like some on Saturday.

At present we need players to give 100% to fight to the final whistle and nothing suggests these two can do this. When the team is doing well and injuries are back and performance improve may be able to play one or both but by then think it will be too late for them

Maguire yes Cywka came on I believe as a sub and hardly touched the ball and did not attempt to get the ball.

Don't get me wrong I want these two to do well as I believe they can make a difference. However Maguire has had one gd half aginst Shewsbury and 55 mins against Portsmoth but nothing else with his sub and starting performances.

Cywka in the home games he has played including Villa did nothing to warrant a place. He too has had one good game against Reading but was not there honestly to say was it a good game or was it the goal.

It is ok having these two players in the side IF and I mean IF, only if the team is doing well. However neither player are capable to role up their sleeves and get stuck in to the other team. Until they can do this and work hard for the team then they will not play and rightly so. Against Portsmoth defence played well they had no midfielder playing well like ours at the moment and certain players did not try their hardest like some on Saturday.

At present we need players to give 100% to fight to the final whistle and nothing suggests these two can do this. When the team is doing well and injuries are back and performance improve may be able to play one or both but by then think it will be too late for them

I agree there RR but that wasn't the point that I was arguing.

What I was trying to say was that even with Bailey and Hendrick in midfield we were still getting overrun, and it was due to some great defending and good finishing that we were getting away with it. It's not made that much difference with him being out, the lack of a defensive midfielder to win us the ball has been a problem all season.

The only reason people are bringing up the midfield area now is because we've stopped winning. This has been a problem with or without Bailey in the side. We really need atleast some defensive cover in January, is Jay Spearing involved much at Liverpool? Someone in that mould is needed.

I agree there RR but that wasn't the point that I was arguing.

What I was trying to say was that even with Bailey and Hendrick in midfield we were still getting overrun, and it was due to some great defending and good finishing that we were getting away with it. It's not made that much difference with him being out, the lack of a defensive midfielder to win us the ball has been a problem all season.

The only reason people are bringing up the midfield area now is because we've stopped winning. This has been a problem with or without Bailey in the side. We really need atleast some defensive cover in January, is Jay Spearing involved much at Liverpool? Someone in that mould is needed.

Sorry misunderstood the argument. Agree we missing that player in the midfield. Clough acknowledges this and also up front acknowledges we needed a striker and one that we paid good money for.

The question for me is that Clough has elluded to this a couple of times and especially in respect of strikers (Southampton and Hull just to name 2). Why on earth would he comment on this in interviews, post game interviews and not being doing something about it. Where is the blockage, are we chosing players we have no chance of signing, don't we have the money to actually get a player who could play in the championship, Glick not releasing funds to get the players or is it that he has no targets.

For me I think it is more than likely we don't have the money to get players and potentially it is Glick not releasing funds. The football director was due to be in place in August and for some reason never materialised and no reason why this is not the case. May be again to Glick thinking the money is not there or just does not want to relinquish the control over the purse strings to another person

I don't think it's a case of no funds being released, I think it's a case of either the loan players available for the position are too expensive or not good enough. Someone like Coquelin at Arsenal you would think would be an easy capture seeing as he's a hot-prospect at Arsenal and cheap on wages etc.

In reality even West Ham were denied permission to take him, and West Ham are obviously a big club in this league. It could also be Clough only having one or two targets that he deems good enough and not being able to get them.

We'll see. At the moment it's not a pressing issue with Green coming back but we do need a defensive midfielder. Green can do that of course but it's not his strong point even if he does do it on internetional duty.

Sorry misunderstood the argument. Agree we missing that player in the midfield. Clough acknowledges this and also up front acknowledges we needed a striker and one that we paid good money for.

The question for me is that Clough has elluded to this a couple of times and especially in respect of strikers (Southampton and Hull just to name 2). Why on earth would he comment on this in interviews, post game interviews and not being doing something about it. Where is the blockage, are we chosing players we have no chance of signing, don't we have the money to actually get a player who could play in the championship, Glick not releasing funds to get the players or is it that he has no targets.

For me I think it is more than likely we don't have the money to get players and potentially it is Glick not releasing funds. The football director was due to be in place in August and for some reason never materialised and no reason why this is not the case. May be again to Glick thinking the money is not there or just does not want to relinquish the control over the purse strings to another person

i dont think its so much that we dont have the money i think clough has spent his budget, but Tom Glick has said that they board are willing to allow him to go over his budget again but there seems to be a lack of players out there that fit Nigels expectations - that may then go back to the Football Director - when we bring the guy in - in my opinion he doesnt have to be a scouting/coach type of guy (id be against an ex-player/manager/coach type of football director btw), he can be a guy that knows how to pull all of the parts of the football side of the club together and make it work and one of the things that would have to happen is for a better scouting system to be set up, recruiting more/better scouts that actual work as part of a structure to provide the manager with more options (although if the manager is stubborn in his views on what he wants then the Football Direcor can do no more than supply the information)

i dont think its so much that we dont have the money i think clough has spent his budget, but Tom Glick has said that they board are willing to allow him to go over his budget again but there seems to be a lack of players out there that fit Nigels expectations - that may then go back to the Football Director - when we bring the guy in - in my opinion he doesnt have to be a scouting/coach type of guy (id be against an ex-player/manager/coach type of football director btw), he can be a guy that knows how to pull all of the parts of the football side of the club together and make it work and one of the things that would have to happen is for a better scouting system to be set up, recruiting more/better scouts that actual work as part of a structure to provide the manager with more options (although if the manager is stubborn in his views on what he wants then the Football Direcor can do no more than supply the information)

The big issue for me today was not the players at the club but the fact that we had to rely on Barker, Bailey, Green, Brayford and Priskin for one reason or another are still not all match fit. For 60 minutes ish they did not look all that much better and when we scored we looked on top but the goal at half time hit us hard. The 5 players mentioned are still only upto about 60 minutes of first team football and it told.

However what I did like to see and the positive I will take especially from the first 45 mins is that the return of the 4 of the 5 players from injury and Priskin up I don't think once they are up to match fitness it will be long before we start turing performances aroung.

could have done with Cywka and/or Maguire on the bench today

Why we had super Conor Doyle ready to change the game or give us another attacking option if needed.

There lies the problem put the injured players back into match day squad these 3 would not be near the squad. To be fair I would not have them near the squad now as none of them offer enough. The fact that this is the case is poor. Although we are to squad number 33 there are only 18-19 players I would have anywhere near the 1st team squad. This includes Priskin, Barker, Bailey, Brayford and Green coming back from injury or just signed plus Robinson, Tyson, Steve Davies who are still injured and this is 8 of the squad. Then this leaves youngster O'brien and Hendrick who are improving all the time. Players who have been playing with injury in Shackell along with Obrien. So 11 of the actual first team squad are not match fit or can not play through injury. What does the board expect.

Feck of Bywater, Leacock and Pearson let them go on a free pay em off anything get em of the wage bill. Re-negotiate Greens contract with a buy our clause on lower wages (but not 300k) the first 3 players will leave us way under wage bill so that is frightening. Whilst we can but players before the new financial restrictions come in buy a few players keep under the wage bill and actually give us the depth.

Bemused at Cloughs decision to leave out these 2 again.

Have you actually watched these players play this season, when they get a chance they don't take it. They play in the reserves and are not pushing the 1st team. Look at the players and their efforts before asking why clough not picking them.

Time players on the edge of the first team grew a set of balls rolled up their bottom lip and put extra time on the training pitch and say look at me and then when you get on the pitch work your ballacks off instead of waiting for the game to come to you

Have you actually watched these players play this season, when they get a chance they don't take it. They play in the reserves and are not pushing the 1st team. Look at the players and their efforts before asking why clough not picking them.

Time players on the edge of the first team grew a set of balls rolled up their bottom lip and put extra time on the training pitch and say look at me and then when you get on the pitch work your ballacks off instead of waiting for the game to come to you

Talking of bottom lips it was embarrassing watching him virtually burst into tears at Peterborough because he was so out of depth and he knew it. Maguire and Cywka would give infinately more to the team than him, but because of Clough's petty schoolboy squables we're having to watch the same thing over and over again. It's pathetic.

Archived