Cwyka and Maguire

RotherhamRam

1 bad game and you have written them off just like our manager.

You won't be able to pick a team by the end of the season if you carry on like this.

I remember one of our best attacking players we've had at the club in years, Commons his name was, I wonder how many games he went missing in...

Its not one bad game for Cywka. He is remembered for his goals in the purple run last year and supported more becuase of the outburst by Clough v Portsmouth. Have you actually seen him over last season and in preseason especially against Villa. He does no defensive work, he rarley looks for a pass, he takes bad options. So for him no it is not for 1 game. Take the purple patach out last yr and the outburst by Clough who pointed out something correctly in the wrong manner. So this for me is about an overall picture.

Maguire again is not a one of game. I watched him against Villa with Tyson looked good because his loose passes worked out as tyson had the speed and skill (better than Robinson) and it worked. Apart from the goal against Portsmoth there was the odd touch which was good but in the second half drifted out of the game. Against Cardiff he was has affective as he was yesterday and threw a strop when substituted and he was substitued for right reason he was supposed to be leading the front line but never got closed to doing so. He was dropped because of this and Clough has said on a number of occaisons that he needs to show in training his desire but if it is not there he will not get picked. So he is given another chance (due to Robinson injury) after Cardiff yesterday. He threw a strop the home game before, hes been told to pick it up in training. Now you have a chance to really stake your claim as Robinson, Tyson and Davies are all out.

do you

1)) wonder about like lost chicken,

2) not put any effort into the box to get to the end of a cross

3) not put pressure on their centre halves or defence

4) not look interested

5) Work you fecking socks off to make sure you can not be dropped for the next game - even if it doesn't work out.

If you can not be arrsed then chose all of 1-4 if you want to earn your place then choose 5. Like in the answer even if it does not work out if the effort is there then it is just a case of bad luck maybe next time. But in the three performances in the league over the last 4 weeks apart from a goal in the game against portsmoth (who were *****) and about 55 mins of good play the following two games he has been a waste of a player on the pitch. Bennett at 15 showed him up agsainst Cardiff with the effort he showed on the pitch and this is a lad who is not really fighting for a place in the team. Says it all for me.

So please do not say it is one game judgement, look at the time and games they have played for the club Cywka all of last season until Portsmoth and see if you honestly believe he is a team player. Maguire as been a substitute, has played on more than one occaison. Neither have proven they deserved a start for me and Clough is right in what he says fringe players should take their chances when offered.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Cywka is one of very few match winners we have in our squad. Doesn't help NC batters him every time he plays, doesn't help with his confidence at all. Ok he doesn't have the work rate like alot of the squad, but now it seems because we're losing games, we need somebody like Cywka who can pull that piece of magic out of the bag and create or score a goal.

1 bad game and you have written them off just like our manager.

You won't be able to pick a team by the end of the season if you carry on like this.

I remember one of our best attacking players we've had at the club in years, Commons his name was, I wonder how many games he went missing in...

Nearly the first two seasons with one hamstring injury or another played the last 4 months of him being here to earn a contact elsewhere. Yes he was good attacking player and I used to shout at him for the same reason in first two seasons needed to do more for the team. The last 4 months here the first 3 months were great the last month he knew he was going and could tell with his performances and to be fair it would have been a disaster to keep him.

Clough said we needed a £2mil player to replace him we did not get it and Cywka and Maguire have shown no desire, attitude to step up and fill his shoes. Least he would look at times to be trying even when he wasn;t

Cywka and Maguire have shown no desire, attitude to step up and fill his shoes. Least he would look at times to be trying even when he wasn;t

Completely disagree what you said about Cywka. He does try and make things happen, its just he's coming in at the wrong time when the whole teams playing dog poo.

Do green boots mean you can play like Messi?

Because B.Davies must of rejected hundreds of easy options in favour of trying to take on 5 players. That was an awful performance from everyone. But I can't abide thick football. Davies played with half a brain. O'Brien too.

It's not all about effort for me. You might aswell stick 11 fans out there if that's all you want. Players can't hide behind effort all the time. I'd swap B.Davies for Commons any day.

You look at all the promoted teams over the last few seasons, how many of them just had a squad of work horses and triers? the only teams I can think of are Stoke City and Hull City. The majority of teams has a talisman or two which wins them games. And we don't have that sort of player.

You look at all the promoted teams over the last few seasons, how many of them just had a squad of work horses and triers? the only teams I can think of are Stoke City and Hull City. The majority of teams has a talisman or two which wins them games. And we don't have that sort of player.

Agreed. I think that's the main reason we will continue to struggle. We haven't got a dominant central midfield player, we can't afford one [so we're told] and nobody on the books can do that kind of job. We haven't got a great striker either because we can't afford one [so we're told]. That's why I'll settle for half way. I'm just being realistic.I don't think I understand why other folks are so unrealistic.

Bisgaard, Tommy Smith, Idiakez.. A proper target man in Rasiak.. A rock in CM in Ian Taylor.. We miss those 3 key types of players now.

Our squad is a bunch of triers with little quality.

They didn't cost the earth either. All five were free transfers I believe. So it just shows you that millions don't always have to be spent to bring in quality. It makes you wonder what Burley would have done here with £6m and three years to make his mark like Clough has had. He, or at the very least his scouting network, sure could spot a player. Do we have a scouting infrastructure resembling that now?

As with any team you need mostly triers and then the 'flair' players where it's most important, unless you're a top quality side in which case you can have players who do both. (Hard to keep those players at this level)

We need someone to partner Robinson who can really finish and make a difference. We need some bite in midfield as we've got nothing there aside from pretty passing at the moment which is being walked through by other teams.

But Clough has said as much before, and even with a full squad out he's always said we're a few players short of where we'd like to be. Now that side, that wasn't ready for play-offs anyway, is riddled with injuries and suffering from some poor form and a lack of.....well......anything at all upfront.

Maguire i'm slowly turning against due to his lack of effort and Cywka just isn't a striker. I don't care what he's classed as on the official site or whatever, he's far more useful in that attacking three as we saw at times last season. That's not to say that if he's not putting effort in that he doesn't deserve some flack of course, but he really shouldn't be played there. (Not that Clough has much choice at the moment)

Seems to me like everyone is panicking about results when it's not all that hard to realise why things haven't quite gone our way. I'd be much more worried if the side out there weren't trying at all. (Strike-force aside) We really need to start looking at why we get so many injuries though, could just be really bad luck of course but its been three years of it now.

Geninuly I love players who show quality over triers

I prefer a Commons over a Green

I Kinkladze over a Bolder

etc.

I really think we miss a player who can give us a bit of magic. Work rate will only get you so far.

Take a look at the best players in the Premiership, they all have a high work rate. In Commons best period with us he had a higher work rate. I agree we need a touch more quality but we shouldn't underestimate the need for them to work hard.

They didn't cost the earth either. All five were free transfers I believe. So it just shows you that millions don't always have to be spent to bring in quality. It makes you wonder what Burley would have done here with £6m and three years to make his mark like Clough has had. He, or at the very least his scouting network, sure could spot a player. Do we have a scouting infrastructure resembling that now?

Nowadays I don't think it's the price tag that's the issue it's the wage packet that's the problem.

I'm not saying the above were on massive wages cause I honestly don't know but just pointing this out.

Take a look at the best players in the Premiership, they all have a high work rate. In Commons best period with us he had a higher work rate. I agree we need a touch more quality but we shouldn't underestimate the need for them to work hard.

It's all about finding a balance and right now, there isn't one with us. Work rate is heavily favoured over creativity and flair. There's a distinct lack of variety.

When you look at our successful sides in recent history, they had balance. For example in 06/07, the midfield 3 of David Jones, Seth Johnson and Matt Oakley was very well balanced because they all offered something different and something valuable i.e. Jones - technique, Seth - work rate, Oakley - leadership and experience. The central defence of Moore and Leacock too was well balanced. Or in 04/05, you had the contrast in styles between Taylor and Idiakez in midfield or Rasiak and Tudgay further forward.

When you look at the current team, we are predictable. Teams know that when they come up against us, it's a team full of enthusiasm and industry but no craft. We don't have the kind of player who would have unlocked Barnsley's defence to score that elusive second goal or dinked the ball over Coventry's keeper when clean through in the first half. Instances like that where we just miss that extra quality.

Nowadays I don't think it's the price tag that's the issue it's the wage packet that's the problem.

I'm not saying the above were on massive wages cause I honestly don't know but just pointing this out.

Fair point, Norfolk Ram. It's worth taking into account the wages. But sometimes it makes sense to pay that little extra for that little extra quality. When you mentioned this, I instantly thought about how there was plenty of debate about the practicalities of bending the wage structure to keep Hulse and Commons here last year. For me, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture, if it's going to cost you a few extra grand in the short term to achieve the long-term goal, it'd seem worth it. Of course with the way things transpired, it's very hard to tell if the long-term goal (promotion) would have been achieved.

utter nonsense, the second best player in the world christiano ronaldo who tore up the premiership had an extremely low work rate.

Archived