Luis Suarez charged over rascist remarks to Patrice Evra.

ladyram

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he dives,waves imaginary cards,handles the ball in world cup games....enough for you?

The first 2 I understand but..

As for the handball.. How is that cheating? If that was an English player and he made no attempt to clear the ball off the line with his hand I'd never want him to play for England again.. Suarez took one for the team (country) at the expense of getting himself sent off, it was a brilliant and valiant decision.

It's not like he scored one with his hand without owning up.. Like Maradonna.

He is annoying but that isn't the question, It is about the comment and whether it was racist - I agree with rynny but playing Devils Advocate if you were playing in a foreign country and used a word like Jackass to an opponent and saw that he got highly offended would you apologize or keep using it as you saw it wound him up and to you the word was basically harmless?

Then later on you find that the word is racist as it is offensive to compare people to a donkey in that particular culture - would you be a racist?.

To be fair the FA have come out and said that the case was very complex and that they took regional differences into account, I think their point is that if they felt the word used was clearly racist the punishment would have been much bigger (watch out JT). I see it has already gone to appeal so we will see - my feeling is that Suarez has a case in so much as he can argue that the word he used was not a racist term, my feeling is that any judgement needs to be very clear that he was not being racist but was guilty of offensive language and should get a punishment - my worry is tarring people with the racist tag when it is not justified no matter what my personal opinion is on the player or the club.

I agree with you about the handball Bris, but every week he's diving and wining, one of the most annoying players about.

I've seen many situations where Luis Suarez has fought with strength to stay on his feet when he could have easily gone down, I don't agree he is a diver, Rooney is far worse than Suarez will ever be.

The sentence was made with an appeal in mind. It'll be reduced to 3 or 4 games.

Skybet are offering 4/7 that its cut. 5/4 that it stays at 8.

Very unlikely it will be cut if any appeal is upheld as it surely must be. An increase is the more likely option plus an extra 2 matches for the gesture at Fulham. The best thing to do is take the medicine and move on, if they had really taken it out of proportion they could have banned him for months.

Didnt Terry call Ferdinand a 'black pr*ck' or something along those lines? If that gets proven it's far worse than what Suarez said.

Cant stand all this, you'd think Ferdinand and Evra would have thicker skin and would have been called far worse things in their time. Both should have replied with 'honkey ****' and got on with the game.

Ferdinand hasn't once said anything against Terry. He didn't even hear him say it.

Suarez is a breath of fresh air for the Premier league, him and Balotelli are both excellent footballers with something special about them.

Balotelli is a top player, Suarez a good one but not top level, he was at Ajax a long time and none of the real big boys ever wanted him. Dalglish had 50m burning a hole in his pocket and took the best was available.

People seem to be honestly suggesting that before I foreign player comes to this country, he should look up every single word he knows in his own language and find out if its offensive here.

Get real.

Suarez, meanwhile, clearly wasn't using this term in a nice way. He didn't repeat it 8 times as a compliment to Evra. What I'd like to ask Suarez, is you've told us how you didn't mean it - but please explain how you did mean it to be interpreted. That explanation has not yet come from Suarez.

That said, I don't think it was said with racist malice behind it. He wasn't being pleasant, and even taking the racism out of it, I don't think there should be a place on the field for players who try to wind up the opposition.

Suarez hasn't even lived in this country for a year. He trains with his team-mates a couple of hours everyday, and then probably goes home and watches Uruguayan TV, goes on facebook and talks to his Uruguayan friends, and eats out at a South American restauraunt. With that sort of life style, he's not going to learn the offensive words of our language that quickly.

"I don't think there should be a place on the field for players who try to wind up the opposition"

this has always happened and always will....its all part football

its not good when robbie savage gets a penalty in the last minute for leicester... but it is good when he plays for derby and winds tarbat up so much he play rubbish then signals to the crowd putting him in his pocket! classic

it happens at every level too, surley you have played 5 a side and beat a team who are better than you by getting at them???

"I don't think there should be a place on the field for players who try to wind up the opposition"

this has always happened and always will....its all part football

its not good when robbie savage gets a penalty in the last minute for leicester... but it is good when he plays for derby and winds tarbat up so much he play rubbish then signals to the crowd putting him in his pocket! classic

it happens at every level too, surley you have played 5 a side and beat a team who are better than you by getting at them???

A player can wind up the opposition without saying a single word.

Take rugby for instance, when in the past NZ have been doing the Hacka which is their way of laying down a challenge, or in other words saying "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" - the opposite team have been known to get right in front of them, right in their faces or surround them while they've been doing it.

That, for me, would be far more intimidating than using any spoken insults. They're just not necessary for me. They should just use Jedi mind tricks. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Personally I hope it gets completely overturned and it explained exactly why.

One thing that will really harm efforts to defeat racism is to lump in things which are clearly not racist. Then you get a backlash; then you EDL-types jumping in and claiming to "defend the majority" etc.

Ferdinand hasn't once said anything against Terry. He didn't even hear him say it.

He hasn't actually confirmed publicly either way, all we know is he has "very strong feelings" on the matter. He hasn't come out and publicly defended Terry or denied he's a racist (as Evra has done with Suarez) which says to me that if he testifies in court, it'll be against Terry, not for him

"Take rugby for instance, when in the past NZ have been doing the Hacka which is their way of laying down a challenge, or in other words saying "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" - the opposite team have been known to get right in front of them, right in their faces or surround them while they've been doing it"

didnt the team that did this get into trouble for trying to intimidate the nz team??

Archived