Luis Suarez charged over rascist remarks to Patrice Evra.

ladyram

I know this was an FA verdict but will Liverpool not push it all the way to CAS - if so I think the case may fall down.

Agree with froggg, if racism is proven then the book needs to be thrown at the offender as examples need to be made but this is not clear cut - if someone stuck two fingers up at you you might be offended but in other places it means something else or nothing at all, you have to look at everything and this case is not black and white (no pun intended)

I am not comparing the 2 fingered salute to racism as one is clearly worse than the other but it is just an example of something that is different in one country to another and where you could have a misunderstanding.

They have looked at everything for days and found him guilty. There is no way in this incident can the exchanges be anything other than hostile and the conclusion and punishment seems fair and Liverpool have done him no favours with that ludicrous response.

An appeal can be expected but is is highly unlikely and stupid in this case to take it any further than that.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What words did he use? mono? negro?

If it's 'negro' then the FA can do one basically, as this term is used all the time in Spanish without it being offensive, and who are they to interpret terms in another language..

If it's mono then 8 games isn't enough.. As that is racist, different language or not.. Suarez should know better

it was negrito

They have looked at everything for days and found him guilty. There is no way in this incident can the exchanges be anything other than hostile and the conclusion and punishment seems fair and Liverpool have done him no favours with that ludicrous response.

An appeal can be expected but is is highly unlikely and stupid in this case to take it any further than that.

You have a lot more faith in the competency of the FA than I do - they are hardly the highest law in the land and could be made to look very stupid if Liverpool escalate this as I am sure they will. as I said, if there is something that I haven't seen then fair enough but what I have seen is very flimsy.

Also I am not questioning whether the environment was hostile or whether Suarez is or isn't a "nice" person (IMO great player but a bit of a tw*t) - I am questioning whether the comment was racist - if people got 8 match bans for hostile comments we would have no players left - as mentioned a few times by a few people Negrito (or Negrita for that matter) in South America is not a racist term (I lived there for over a year and speak Spanish and can confirm it is widely used and is totally acceptable - I never used it as I felt uncomfortable with it as a word but this does nothing except confirm there is a cultural difference when using this particular term).

Liverpool will defend their player so we will see where this leads but it won't end here.

You have a lot more faith in the competency of the FA than I do - they are hardly the highest law in the land and could be made to look very stupid if Liverpool escalate this as I am sure they will. as I said, if there is something that I haven't seen then fair enough but what I have seen is very flimsy.

Also I am not questioning whether the environment was hostile or whether Suarez is or isn't a "nice" person (IMO great player but a bit of a tw*t) - I am questioning whether the comment was racist - if people got 8 match bans for hostile comments we would have no players left - as mentioned a few times by a few people Negrito (or Negrita for that matter) in South America is not a racist term (I lived there for over a year and speak Spanish and can confirm it is widely used and is totally acceptable - I never used it as I felt uncomfortable with it as a word but this does nothing except confirm there is a cultural difference when using this particular term).

Liverpool will defend their player so we will see where this leads but it won't end here.

In the past the FA have given some bizarre judgements but on this one it seems they have considered every thing fully and have come out with a fair verdict. With the guilty verdict he can count himself lucky they kept a sense of proportion and didn't ban him for months, he might get worse in an appeal. He admitted he used the word on a TV interview as well (not too bright) and we are in England and he has to abide by the FA code, ignorance is no defence. Different views have been made on when it is and isn't acceptable in South America but Evra took offence and claims he was abused more than 10 times.

Liverpool will take it further but it seems they can only look at losing a top player, understandable as they now will have to play Andy Carroll. They should accept he crossed the line of what is acceptable on a football pitch and take the ban and stop playing the victim but that would break from the DNA of the whole club and city. I am hearing now that Terry is facing criminal charges that guy is in trouble.

It wasn't the FA that came to the verdict, a 3 men Independant panel found Suarez guilty and if Liverpool do appeal a new 3 man panel will be appointed again.

The FA simply handed out the punishment.

Those panels are not independent they are FA guys on them.

All I can say is that Terry must be bricking himself if he got 8 games what is Terry facing seeing as he has been charged for racism.

I think 8 games is harsh if it is one word against the other as reported and no other independent evidence. If he got 8 games and proven on this Terry must be looking at a lot longer ban and stripped of his national captaincy.

Didnt Terry call Ferdinand a 'black pr*ck' or something along those lines? If that gets proven it's far worse than what Suarez said.

Cant stand all this, you'd think Ferdinand and Evra would have thicker skin and would have been called far worse things in their time. Both should have replied with 'honkey ****' and got on with the game.

After he said the word once and saw that Evra took offence he shouldn't have said it again, apologised and after the game explain that he didn't mean to offensive and give the full meaning. But if he used it more than once then he is an idiot and should be banned.

After he said the word once and saw that Evra took offence he shouldn't have said it again, apologised and after the game explain that he didn't mean to offensive and give the full meaning. But if he used it more than once then he is an idiot and should be banned.

Totally agree with that great post.

Just to continue on with BorneoRam.. To ban him for the word negrito is absoloutely ludicrous.. That is not racist in the slightest.. When you add 'ito' on to a word in Spanish it's to say in a lightt hearted manner in a way not to offend the other person.. My friend is overweight, he's referred as (gordito).. I get called guerrito (blonde).. Another guy gets called flacito (skinny).. Negro as a word is used commonly to describe other people, black people, and to avoid offending them you cn use 'negrito'.. I know people who are referred to as 'el moreno' (brown/tanned skinned) or 'el negro' (black)

Girls in Cuba are regularly known as negritas.. People are regularly asked if they want a negrita..Jaja!

I thought the word 'mono' was used as this can be stepping over the line.. But negrito, what the feck is going on with our politically correct country.. Ridiculous

That I do agree with in a sense though. Despite it not being a racist term, if Evra thought it was perhaps Suarez should have stopped and explained after the game.

Didnt Terry call Ferdinand a 'black pr*ck' or something along those lines? If that gets proven it's far worse than what Suarez said.

Cant stand all this, you'd think Ferdinand and Evra would have thicker skin and would have been called far worse things in their time. Both should have replied with 'honkey ****' and got on with the game.

So if he had just called him the name , without the black bit , would that be OK.

He is black isnt he, I see no problem, it just mardyness,IMO

So if he had just called him the name , without the black bit , would that be OK.

He is black isnt he, I see no problem, it just mardyness,IMO

I agree with you completely, too many minorities are always prepared to play the vicitim these days and take offence to petty insults. Take it on the chin and give it back.

Was just saying, if Suarez serves an 8 game ban then Terry should serve at least that.

I agree with you completely, too many minorities are always prepared to play the vicitim these days and take offence to petty insults. Take it on the chin and give it back.

Was just saying, if Suarez serves an 8 game ban then Terry should serve at least that.

He may get a big ban, but the most they can fine him is £2500, he earns £27000 a day 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived