Daniel Lafferty

NothernRam

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derry City defender Daniel Lafferty has joined English Championship side Brighton and Hove Albion on trial.

The 22-year-old left-back had been on trial with Derby County last month but his time with the Rams was prematurely cut short after he sustained a minor hamstring injury.

Lafferty will take part in training this week and may be given a chance to impress in a reserve game with Reading.

The player may attract a fee in the region of £250,000.

"The injury I picked up when on trial with Derby County was a minor one and I feel 100 per cent. I've been keeping myself in shape and training away," Leffrrty told the Sunday Journal.

"I am really excited to be going.

"Getting a chance to shine with a club like Brighton is why I became a professional footballer.

"I'm delighted to get the chance but I am under no illusions that there's still plenty of hard work to be done.

Lafferty was previously on Celtic's books before signing for his home town club Derry in July 2010.

The left-back has also been attracting interest from Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield Town.

During his time at Celtic, Lafferty had a loan spell at Ayr United.

This year his impressive form for Derry led to his inclusion in the Airtricity League side which played against Celtic in July.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16033868.stm

Hope we dont sign him, Roberts is the only one for me whos putting a shift in the team...

Agree but be that as it may it's a long old season and if Roberts gets injured again were stuffed unless Naylor can play there as hasn't kilbane gone back to hull know? So we still need cover no matter who it is

judging from the article in the Argus today i don't think Poyet wants him.... he says that he needs more money and that trialists are the only way he can look at players at the moment.... although he suggests loans in Jan for the Seagulls - probably from his PL mates... whilst some of this is slightly off point it does perhaps show:

- the lad may well be *****

- Poyet thinks that loans for quality players who they couldnt afford wage wise is a useful option.... why dont we?

- some joker on the argus site thinks that they could sign Jamie Ward who would be the perfect foil for CMS!!

Archived