England Vs Spain - Matchday Talk

Ambitious

To be fair to Welbeck, he was the only one near the half way line in the second half. England did defend well but the midefield really needed to push up after clearing the ball.

Parker was deserved MOM and seems to be ahead of anyone else in that midfield role

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Capello may have finally found a formation which he could stick to. Ok Spain weren't at their best but we worked really hard pressing the opposition. We found acres of space in the centre of midfield, its just unfortunate Phil Jones can't distribute the ball like a Lampard or Gerrard. I'm not Lescotts biggest fan but he played fantastic. Parker was MOM.

I have just watched the game again, and do you know what, in the cold light of dayi

It was even better!

Hart never looked troubled and what he did have to do hedealt with suberbly, his kicking was awesome too.

The back 4 were great, having 2 centre halves who can play football helps. Cole is world class.

The midfield were tireless, great efforts from them all, even Fat Frank must have lost a few pkunds in sweat!

The forwards worked their back 4 well.

The Don....he pulled a tactical masterstroke.

Bring on the Euros!!!!

Disgraceful that they have made that horrible man captain for the game tomorrow. Completely disgusting.

Can you imagine if you had any "normal" job in the country and you were currently the subject of a criminal investigation for racism, do you think that you might just be suspended?

Vile man.

Cesc Fabregas - England lack quality to upset rest of the world...

f*ck off bench boy and go get xavi's dry cleaning 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='-_-' />

Sour grapes yes, but it was only a friendly and he has a point..

Only the deluded think we'll get past the 1/4s in next years Euros..

We haven't got a chance, the moment we come up against either Spain, France, Germany, Holland or Portugal it's game over.. I wouldn't put it past someone like Denmark, Italy or Sweden knocking us out on either..

It will be interesting when the group stages come out..

No way will we be a pot A club so we're going to have ether the hosts (Ukraine), Germany, Holland or Spain in our group.. Pot Bs will be England, France, Italy and Portugal. Pot C Denmark, Russia, Sweden, Greece Pot D Ireland, Czech Rep, Croatia and Poland

I can see our group being something like Holland, England, Denmark and Ireland.. Which we'll probably win 1 draw 1 lose 1 and finish 3rd..

We haven't got a chance, the moment we come up against either Spain, France, Germany, Holland or Portugal it's game over.. I wouldn't put it past someone like Denmark, Italy or Sweden knocking us out on either..

No way will we be a pot A club so we're going to have ether the hosts (Ukraine), Germany, Holland or Spain in our group.. Pot Bs will be England, France, Italy and Portugal. Pot C Denmark, Russia, Sweden, Greece Pot D Ireland, Czech Rep, Croatia and Poland

I can see our group being something like Holland, England, Denmark and Ireland.. Which we'll probably win 1 draw 1 lose 1 and finish 3rd..

The best draw we could get would be one of the hosts, but whatever group we are in its going to be tough.

I wouldnt worry too much about Portugal knocking us out...they have got to qualify yet!!

Dont be surprised if Italy turn up in force.

Portugal might not even make it, they drew their first game in the play-offs so all hangs in the balance but I wouldn't worry too much about the euros, no-one is expecting much and there isn't anyone clear cut in the side apart from joe hart. I would see where we are at the end of the season and take the players who've showed the most form and ability in this season and let momentum take them.

I think we'll do a lot better than expected, due to the pressure being off but that is marely a predicition!

Walcott had to do it didn't he? He had to come out and say England can beat anyone now. That they have lots of "great" player for each position. Everyone starting all the hype again. The Sun building them up after the Spain game.

Costa Rica 2-2 Spain.

Chile were 2-0 up and should of had 2 more before HT when they played Spain the other month. Argentina thrashed them. Germany too I think. Beating Spain in a friendly proves nothing. It's just a competitive training session. But as usual the media go way OTT.

Really spoils it. England are the Leeds of international football.

Nice one Walcott. Show me your "great wingers" then.

pot a with current fifa standings will be ukraine poland spain and holland. Pot b will be germany italy england greece. Pot c will be portugal denmark croatia russia. Pot d will be sweden france czech republic and republic of ireland. This could change when the fifa release the next rankings next week (23rd I think)

pot a with current fifa standings will be ukraine poland spain and holland. Pot b will be germany italy england greece. Pot c will be portugal denmark croatia russia. Pot d will be sweden france czech republic and republic of ireland. This could change when the fifa release the next rankings next week (23rd I think)

I can't see France being a pot D team.. 1st in the group, qualified for all of the last majors.. Croatia and Russia didn't even qualify for the WC and Croatia finished 2nd in their group..

We should make a group prediction thread..

I'm gonna stick my head out and say we'll be fortunate and be lumped with a competitive but not too difficult group of Ukraine, Croatia and Russia which we should qualify.. Probably in 2nd place as usual.

They'll be a group of death containing 3 heavyweights and an unlucky one.. Holland, France, Portugal and Czech Republic or something similar.

My groups just for fun

A: Ukraine, England, Russia, Croatia

B: Poland, Germany, Denmark, Ireland

C: Spain, Italy, Greece, Sweden

D: Holland, France, Portugal, Czech Republic

First names as Pot A.. Second pot B.. Third pot C.. Fourth pot D

I'd take a group like that in a heartbeat given the names in there.. I still can't believe how lucky we got in the WC with USA, Slovenia and Algeria.. 3 teams I wouldn't consider in the top 30.. Crazy!

Walcott had to do it didn't he? He had to come out and say England can beat anyone now. That they have lots of "great" player for each position. Everyone starting all the hype again. The Sun building them up after the Spain game.

Costa Rica 2-2 Spain.

Chile were 2-0 up and should of had 2 more before HT when they played Spain the other month. Argentina thrashed them. Germany too I think. Beating Spain in a friendly proves nothing. It's just a competitive training session. But as usual the media go way OTT.

Really spoils it. England are the Leeds of international football.

Nice one Walcott. Show me your "great wingers" then.

Walcott is a plank.. He said that Arsenal can match anyone in Europe and that they had a great chance of progressing against Barca.. He's just trying to get people excited, the level headed people won't get carried away after the last 12 years of disasters after disasters..

I'm going to expect the worst and be happy should we progress.. Too many times in the past I genuinely believed we were going to win (Argentina, Brazil, Portugal x2, Germany) etc.. all spring to mind. I'd gladly take a semi-final finish now, would be a great achievement by Capello.. Let's face it, he's hardly blessed with world class players.

Russia in a pot B. What a joke.

Is that confirmed? They'll surely be a pot C team, having not even qualified for the previous WC but winning their group giving them an advantage over Ireland, Czech, Croatia and Sweden..

I'm still a little perplexed that we're a pot B team.. We didn't even qualify for 08 and won 1 game at the WC 2010.. I really don't get why FIFA add friendly games into the ranking, when they clearly don't mean anything.. That's the only reason why we keep being a seeded team for the qualifiers, we're prolific in friendlies!

Is that confirmed? They'll surely be a pot C team, having not even qualified for the previous WC but winning their group giving them an advantage over Ireland, Czech, Croatia and Sweden..

It's confirmed, Bris.

Croatia was to beat Turkey, to bypass Russia in the ranking but it's 0-0.

Pot A: Poland, Ukraine, Spain, Holland

Pot B: Germany, Italy, England, Russia

Pot C: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden

Pot D: Denmark, France, Czeh Rep. Ireland

Looks a well balanced competition tbf.

OK everyone creams over Spain but apart from that its a bit like the NPC, anyone can beat anyone.

With a reasonable draw there's no reason England can't make the semi without playing particularly well, as long as they are well organised, resolute, play to their strengths at set pieces and don't give "unforced error" goals away.

Oh yeah, and the ref dunna disallow English goals that are 3 foot over the line......

Mad as it may sound, I hope we get the hardest group imaginable. I just feel it'll take some pressure off the players and perhaps bring out the best in them too. With that and Rooney's ban in mind, it could create a real siege mentality amongst players and fans alike. For once, it'd be nice for us to be the team wobbling the apple cart instead of wilting under the pressure of great expectation.

I mean think back to the World Cup, we got what should have been a straightforward draw with USA, Algeria and Slovenia and the instant reaction was '3 wins, 9 points, job done'. Complacency crept in, we started sluggishly and never truly recovered.

If we get a tough draw, we'll have to be focussed and at our best from the first whistle.

I'd love to draw Netherlands, Portugal and Ireland.

Archived