Alex Ferguson - Best manager in the world ever?

David

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surely he has to be up there, certainly better than Brian Clough, better than shankley and any other english manager i can think of. Better than Mourinho? what mouriniho hasn't done is built a long lasting dynasty, he has gone in won trophies and quickly exited.

It depends, the bloke was given the Manchester United job. I'm sure he worked hard to get there and hes done a truly brilliant job for 25 years, but others have done argubaly better jobs with different teams and less resources too, in a number of jobs.

Very hard to compare, but not for me. Brian is up there, for definite. He built sides from nothing, Fergie already had a quality side, or atleast a very good one.

Sir Bobby Robson for me, though that's very much a personal choice, a big inspiration to me was Sir Bobby.

Hard to say, personally I'd say Brian because of what he achieved with two clubs who were relatively unknown, United have always been a big team. But then, most Derby and Forest fans would say that, wouldn't they.

He wasn't always at United. Ferguson achieved exceptional success with a small team - Aberdeen.

Hard to say, personally I'd say Brian because of what he achieved with two clubs who were relatively unknown, United have always been a big team. But then, most Derby and Forest fans would say that, wouldn't they.

Er....ever heard of a team called Aberdeen??? AND whenhe took over at United they hadnt won the league for 20 odd years.

It's surely impossible to narrow it down to THE best. Certainly one of the best though. Paisley's record at Liverpool was phenomenal. Is he still the only man to win 3 european cups as a manager?

Then you have the likes of Busby who built three great teams.

Domestically I'd say so.. But you can't compare, despite being there for 25 years he's never dominated on the European stage (2 wins in 25 years for a regular 25 years isn't particularly good) nor has he been abroad..

He's been very comfy for years now and a few years ago they were down in 3rd and 4th and with any firehappy chairman he probably would have been sacked.. His record domestically though is phenominal, he deserves huge credit for that because Arsenal and Chelsea have had some great teams over the past 20 years also..

One slight downer though is that he's never built a team to remember.. His teams have always been hardworking gritty teams with a touch of flair.. Hence why he's never really dominated in Europe.. I struggle to think of any real worldclass players they have had other than Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and Schmeichel..

I personally think Jose Mourinho has a better all round record despite not being around that long, I also think Pep has built a style at Barca that will be far more remembered than any of Fergies teams.. But are they better managers? I'm not so sure.

Either way Fergie is part of a little group of 'elite' managers.. There aren't that many that can compare with him

I am not sure if anyone has done what fergie has done, which is consistently rebuild a team from scratch and make it successful. The problem with mourinhio and guardiola is they haven't had to constantly rebuild and make success happen over a period of time. People go on about europe, now he had european success with aberdeen and lets be honest, winning the champions league is a damn sight harder than it used to be. It is more like a european super league than the knockout competition it used to be. Mourinhio has had success with different teams but only for a short period of time, fergie has done it consistently for 20 years with manchester united. Bris add cantona to that list, ferdinand at his peak, van nistelroy gary neville was a top class full back at his peak as well, along with countless others.

I am not sure if anyone has done what fergie has done, which is consistently rebuild a team from scratch and make it successful. The problem with mourinhio and guardiola is they haven't had to constantly rebuild and make success happen over a period of time. People go on about europe, now he had european success with aberdeen and lets be honest, winning the champions league is a damn sight harder than it used to be. It is more like a european super league than the knockout competition it used to be. Mourinhio has had success with different teams but only for a short period of time, fergie has done it consistently for 20 years with manchester united. Bris add cantona to that list, ferdinand at his peak, van nistelroy gary neville was a top class full back at his peak as well, along with countless others.

Contona wasn't world class, he was never a top goalscorer nor did he ever win anything in Europe.. He was a brilliant player, like Zola for example, but not world class.. Ferdinand perhaps, Neville, Van Der Sar and Van Nistelrooy were also top players yes but I wouldn't put them in the world class bracket.. Though my world class bracket might be slightly different to yours..

Ottmar Hitzfield is also one of the best managers around.. Won league, cup and CL titles with Dortmund before going onto Bayern and winning the lot again.. And being incredibly successful, they dominated Germany and in Europe for a good 6-7 years until he had enough.. The only difference between him and SAF is that Hitzfield left on his own terms wanting a break, And though SAF said he'd retire he carried on. OH went back for another year in 08 to help out and won the league and cup double but then went into international football with Switzerland..

He's IMO a top top coach too.. Part of that 'elite' group.

Just a quick note also, he won the double a few times in the Swiss league with Grasshopper Zurich and took over Dortmund when they were 10th.. IMO this feat is fantastic

Archived