Fifa bans England players from wearing a poppy against Spain

Butthead

Not sure if its been mentioned but FIfa haven't backed down at all, there was never any rule on having a Poppy on an armband, so they're doing that instead. They still won't allow Poppies on the shirt. Not because of any significance regarding politics or religion etc, but just because they're far too strict on the rule that allows nothing being added to the shirts.

I think we should have worn them anyway of course and paid any fine coming towards us, made a point about it etc. Still, it does seem like a media circus designed to distract us from other events.

No matter, we've got the poppies now. Time to sit back and watch the Spanish humiliate us and show how far behind we are of winning anything anytime soon! (I'm hoping for a win but it isn't going to happen)

I think FIFA did back down in the end. They released 2 statements, the second one being their "final" word on the matter (because their view was the poppy represented a political and religious symbol) but following intervention by way of letters of concern by David Cameron and Prince William, they decided on the poppy armband.

Completely agree with you about the rest of your post though! In Cappelo's own words "England don't stand a chance of beating Spain", (if you believe RD that is). Great vote of confidence that

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived