Fifa bans England players from wearing a poppy against Spain

Butthead

Are you sure any councils banned the St. George's flag Staffie? A few may not have flown them from the town halls but thats different from "banning" them.

I can't remember the exact wording but the marketstalls in Leek were told that they absolutely could not have any flags up. 'ban' is probably the wrong word, but people were certainly 'encouraged' not to show their pride in country. And people wonder why our national identity and togetherness is going down the pan.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. It's like Oxford council banning the words Christmas Lights and calling it the Winter Light Festival, in an attempt to be more "inclusive". It's rubbish, Christmas is Christmas the world over (well, except for Jehovas witnesses), it's just celebrated in different ways. This way is how we choose to celebrate it, so please leave it alone!!

Gone slighty OT there but you get me drift.

I can't remember the exact wording but the marketstalls in Leek were told that they absolutely could not have any flags up. 'ban' is probably the wrong word, but people were certainly 'encouraged' not to show their pride in country. And people wonder why our national identity and togetherness is going down the pan.

If our marketstall holders had their national flags up it'd look like Independence day in Islamabad! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

David Cameron has asked FIFA to reconsider their decision, calling it outrageous and stating quite rightly that the poppy is NOT a political or religious symbol. Anybody with half a brain knows that, except FIFA it seems.

Well said PM

FIFA = a bunch of clueless *****.

The Poppy is a symbol of remembrance for all those who died in WW1, WW2 and more recent conflicts, people of all colours and creeds. Old soldiers will remember all comrades who fell on remembrance day, Aussies, Canadians, Americans, Gurkhas, Indians, French, Russians, Polish, etc, etc, too many nationalities and religions to remember.......the Poppy is not racist, xenophobic or political.

Even if you don't wear a poppy, stick a quid or two in a collection tin. The British Legion use that money very well to help ex-squaddies.

FIFA allow England to wear poppies on their black armbands against Spain - Sky Sports News. Sensible outcome.

Does anyone know the name of the first team to wear poppies on their shirts ?

Yes! Poppies, poppies, poppies! In all this poppycock, I almost forgot that our national team are a bag of *****, we'll get totally outplayed, if not thrashed by the Spaniards (Facists of course) and that our wonderful captain is been investigated for racial obcsenities.

Regarding the symbolism of the opium bearing flower, didn't it orginate during the 1st World War, when loads of working class people from western europe and beyond were sent to the slaughter so the elite could keep their wealth. They in still in charge now. This slaughter continued throughout the 2nd World War when the Germans and co were defeated, but the Nazis were evil so that was a good thing.

To our country now, the poppy reminds us mostly of the sacrifice that so many people made in those 2 world wars. It seems possible though, that to people of another country the poppy and the link to British/Western military action might hold other meaning.

For example, say you were humiliated and tortured in an Afghan prison. Or that all your children were killed in bombing raids in Iraq a few years back. Or your ancestors were starved to death during the Boer War. Or your daughter was raped in Cyprus by soldiers.

One day, the West will realise that many parts of the world don't hold us in quite the same high esteem that we hold ourselves in.

FIFA allow England to wear poppies on their black armbands against Spain - Sky Sports News. Sensible outcome.

Does anyone know the name of the first team to wear poppies on their shirts ?

I think somebody has been reading this forum. I'm sure sone clever member suggested poppy armbands as a simple solution to this row.

Yes! Poppies, poppies, poppies! In all this poppycock, I almost forgot that our national team are a bag of *****, we'll get totally outplayed, if not thrashed by the Spaniards (Facists of course) and that our wonderful captain is been investigated for racial obcsenities.

Regarding the symbolism of the opium bearing flower, didn't it orginate during the 1st World War, when loads of working class people from western europe and beyond were sent to the slaughter so the elite could keep their wealth. They in still in charge now. This slaughter continued throughout the 2nd World War when the Germans and co were defeated, but the Nazis were evil so that was a good thing.

To our country now, the poppy reminds us mostly of the sacrifice that so many people made in those 2 world wars. It seems possible though, that to people of another country the poppy and the link to British/Western military action might hold other meaning.

For example, say you were humiliated and tortured in an Afghan prison. Or that all your children were killed in bombing raids in Iraq a few years back. Or your ancestors were starved to death during the Boer War. Or your daughter was raped in Cyprus by soldiers.

One day, the West will realise that many parts of the world don't hold us in quite the same high esteem that we hold ourselves in.

Calm down. The poppy is not a symbol to glorify war, its a symbol of the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for freedom...

Britain are the only country in the history of mankind to wage war and dominate the weaker people of the world ? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Stop being so liberal and man up. Show a little bit of mettle.

Stalin killed 20,000,000 of his own people so maybe you should comment on him. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Goodo, FIFA has seen sense at last. The only problem I have now is the national anthem, it's rubbish, we should sing Jerusalem instead. Just a thought, we are England after all.

And while I'm on with all things patriotic, the Olympic organisers have produced a very glossy poster which shows off The Thames in all it's glory to promote the games but have "accidentally" airbrushed out HMS Belfast. Some more do gooders no doubt trying to pretend our military history doesn't exist, when in fact, it does.

Another great move from some half wit, sticking em up in London 2 days before Rememberance Sunday. Good one, how's that for an insult to it's former crew and Armed Forces members?

As a result, people have complained and they have agreed to rectify the situation - which is great - but can't they see for themselves that they were wrong to do it in the first place?

So glad they've seen sense.

One thing that's annoyed me about Remeberance week is the lack of...well...remembrance. The two World Wars seem to have been mentioned less than ever this time round.

Anyone know how many times England have played matches between 1st and 11th November without any of this poppy fuss? 36. Where the dickens has it come from this time. I suppose it's stopped all talk of Terry's racist incident. There is probably a PR/Publicist behind it all, feeding the Mail and co stories to bury bad news. Also, I know the government is in a bit of a mess with the economy/border control/NHS plans/protests/plans to make firing easy/Liam Fox/defence cuts etc etc but Cammy came good when it really matters-the poppy ban by FIFA. Nice work DC.

I think it's a disgrace that for years our armed service have had to put up with poor pay, dire equipment, fighting in unwinnable situations and taking on massive casualites and deaths-then have to rely on charity to support them when they finish. But as I'm Britsh, I'll just keep putting my 2 quid in the poppy collection each year, bang on about 'our boys' in the army and let the rich continue to hold all the wealth and power for themselves. The poppy is not a political symbol. It's a a symbol of a country burying it's head in the sand and allowing the elite to send young people to meaningless and avoidable death.

Anyone know how many times England have played matches between 1st and 11th November without any of this poppy fuss? 36. Where the dickens has it come from this time. I suppose it's stopped all talk of Terry's racist incident. There is probably a PR/Publicist behind it all, feeding the Mail and co stories to bury bad news. Also, I know the government is in a bit of a mess with the economy/border control/NHS plans/protests/plans to make firing easy/Liam Fox/defence cuts etc etc but Cammy came good when it really matters-the poppy ban by FIFA. Nice work DC.

I think it's a disgrace that for years our armed service have had to put up with poor pay, dire equipment, fighting in unwinnable situations and taking on massive casualites and deaths-then have to rely on charity to support them when they finish. But as I'm Britsh, I'll just keep putting my 2 quid in the poppy collection each year, bang on about 'our boys' in the army and let the rich continue to hold all the wealth and power for themselves. The poppy is not a political symbol. It's a a symbol of a country burying it's head in the sand and allowing the elite to send young people to meaningless and avoidable death.

Good post, 100% agree. But I still think we should be allowed to wear the Poppy in one sense, because for me, I don't think we should EVER forget the World Wars. We should really be saying "never again", every November.

Can't stand people saying our boys are fighting for our freedom. No they're not. We're sending young men away to a dessert to die for a knee jerk reaction 10 years ago.

To put some of what you've said in to statistics:

95% of land owners in this country are of Norman descent - they still own the place!

1 in 4 homeless people have served in the armed forces.

Not sure if its been mentioned but FIfa haven't backed down at all, there was never any rule on having a Poppy on an armband, so they're doing that instead. They still won't allow Poppies on the shirt. Not because of any significance regarding politics or religion etc, but just because they're far too strict on the rule that allows nothing being added to the shirts.

I think we should have worn them anyway of course and paid any fine coming towards us, made a point about it etc. Still, it does seem like a media circus designed to distract us from other events.

No matter, we've got the poppies now. Time to sit back and watch the Spanish humiliate us and show how far behind we are of winning anything anytime soon! (I'm hoping for a win but it isn't going to happen)

Not over here, France have a national holiday.!

That doesn't surprise me, after being in Normandy on the 60th Anniversary of D-Day. It was the same weekend as Le Mans, North France came to a stand still!

I think the French take their nationalism too far sometimes but their knowledge of their history and appreciation for it is something I wish we had.

Archived