Will Hughes....in Derby Squad tomorrow?

Pudding Jack

He also created one our only worked goal against Swansea last season, and for the reserves hes looked very good. He's also a utility player, he can play in one of about 5 positions. What he needs to do is be fixed down to one position, in fairness to him he's a striker being told to play wide right, which isn't his game. Hes worked hard and deserved a shot in the first team, unfortunately he didn't have an impact by the sounds of it, but all players have poor games.

Perhaps they think it's something that needs to be sorted by the club? If you loan a player out it looks like you're just getting rid of the problem and waiting for someone else to come in for him. Wheras Maguire can probably be dealt with and his attitude changed by Clough this month while there are injuries. Pearson was a different case, he has no future at the club (or atleast doesn't look like he has) and has openly asked for a move. So he was allowed one.

I suspect Clough thought that Cywka hadn't made enough of an impact against Cardiff, and he's in the matchday squad atleast so he's clearly still wanted. My view on it is that he chose the bench to fit what he might need. Lagdzins is clearly needed, as is Kilbane for defence. Bennet has performed better than Maguire and Cywka, and so is included. Ball is the long ball option, if you need to punp the ball forward for the end of the game we've got no-one to hold it up, so he's included. Hughes is there I am guessing as he is not prepared to use Cywka or Maguire as midfielders. If we had an injury we'd need a midfielder in there, and Hughes is the next best man to play in there at the moment I presume. That is my explanation of it anyway.

I realise you're not someone to just bash Clough or whomever as I still read these pages and know you're not like Bris Vegas etc (Sorry Bris, but you are one for the needless attacks) but I don't think there's that much of an issue here. People were saying "If they're good enough, they're old enough" when things were going well. We lose a result where the lads don't really do anything wrong and people suddenly aren't happy. We were beaten by a great finish, that's all. Shackell, our most experienced defender and best performer so far deserves the criticism, he was the one making a stuipd mistake for their second. (Not that i'm going to have a go at him having seen how good hes been for us, but you see my point)

very good post alex - i agree on all points. - that's not to say you agree with NC choices...

my only criticism of doyle is that he lacks the aggression that i think is essential in this league. i don't mean agression in being dirty - but rather the ability to assert yourself physically through your running, tackling and making yourself hard to knock off the ball.

a bit of devilment. look at how ward uses his 'aggression' to his advantage.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did against Portsmouth. Maguire can't play midfield though and has been poor, petulant, and in generally lazy for most of his time here. Maguire is a hot and cold player yes, but there is a difference between having a poor game with effort and not trying enough. I agree that Clough picks favourites at times, but I can see why he went with the people he did. My own worry was that we went with Buxton at RB when Kilbane would have been my choice, but Buxton didn't have a bad game so I can't moan.

Doyle has had three good games (or atleast decent) out of the five or so i've seen of him, and looks good for Reserves and U21 duty. He deserved a start through his work, but unfortunately didn't take his chance. I doubt he'll be in the match-day sqyad next time round if we have people back, but he earned his chance through hard work. I can't be-grudge him that. He doesn't need getting rid of, he has talent, but I do think he needs to be trained in one select position from now on and be loaned out for some constant first-team match experience when we have enough players back. That'll do him the world of good, not coming in half match-fit due to a lack of reserve games. That won't have helped him.

in my opinion against portsmouth he didn't but that is just my opinion, maguire to me tried but to no avail on wednesday night and was frustrated when substituted is he likely to do more than ball or hughes probably yes. He certainly should have at least have been on the bench instead of ball. Doyle from what i have seen has been poor and is not a championship player, the only good game he has had was against preston who went down that season.Kilbane and Buxton are both poor, however Kilbane is slightly less poor than buxton.

very good post alex - i agree on all points. - that's not to say you agree with NC choices...

my only criticism of doyle is that he lacks the aggression that i think is essential in this league. i don't mean agression in being dirty - but rather the ability to assert yourself physically through your running, tackling and making yourself hard to knock off the ball.

a bit of devilment. look at how ward uses his 'aggression' to his advantage.

I agree, but you've got to remember that the lad came from indoor American football, and since then despite his appearances for his country, hes had no real first team football which is where you get that edge. Without it you will be bullied out of games as you say, he hasn't had the chance to learn first hand really. Reserves football is nowhere near competitive enough, and his first team outings are too few and far between.

I hope that once we have recovered atleast slightly from this injury crisis then he gets his chance out on loan in League Two somewhere, that'll really test him and we'll find out if he's going to be of any use in the future. Personally I really like him, however he's more of a striker to me, though I can see why he's being used elsewhere. He has alot of talent, he just needs to be 'fine-tuned', which to me means a fine course of league two defenders to toughen him up and give him some confidence in his own abilities.

And I did agree with his selections for the most part, though I would've chosen Cywka over Ball and Kilbane over Buxton. I tend to think that RB's should be able to switch over to LB more easily than centre-halves, though Brayford made it seem like a hard job last season and he's as reliable as they come, so Buxton may have been the right choice. Didn't let us down according to Clough, and i've not heard too many bad comments against him from people who've been.

indeed - we can see choices made by NC that we don't agree with - but at least see why he made them.

agree entirely with doyle - i haven't given up on him like others seem to have. he's still young and only time will tell if he develops the physicailty required.

a trip to L1 or 2 would do him wonders.

in my opinion against portsmouth he didn't but that is just my opinion, maguire to me tried but to no avail on wednesday night and was frustrated when substituted is he likely to do more than ball or hughes probably yes. He certainly should have at least have been on the bench instead of ball. Doyle from what i have seen has been poor and is not a championship player, the only good game he has had was against preston who went down that season.Kilbane and Buxton are both poor, however Kilbane is slightly less poor than buxton.

Against Portsmouth he certainly tried, it was his big chance, I wonder if complacency set in though. Thought he'd 'made it' perhaps. I don't know. Whatever reason, presumably the kicking off the bench adding to it, meant he wasn't on the bench. Cywka i'd have taken too, but it depends if he wanted the long ball option or a tricky striker as a sub. With Bennet already on there, perhaps he thought it worth taking Ball ahead of Cywka purely on play-style?

Kilbane is too slow for me yes but is decent enough back-up, and Buxton is just a stop-gap who does a job if needed. Neither are made for RB, but one of them had to start, and the other needed as back-up. There's no-one left. (Well, i'd have looked to Dean Leacock possibly, but personalities and all that rules him out entirely)

indeed - we can see choices made by NC that we don't agree with - but at least see why he made them.

agree entirely with doyle - i haven't given up on him like others seem to have. he's still young and only time will tell if he develops the physicailty required.

a trip to L1 or 2 would do him wonders.

Exactly. If I can see the reasoning behind a decision I agree with them i'm content. If it's a total balls-up and goes wrong then I will point out my objections, but hes done a good job so far so i'll trust in his judgement.

If you ever get the chance and it's on tv, watch him for the USA U21's, he's like a totally different player. Different style of football and no pressure on him, he stands out by a country mile against most of his other team-mates. Hopefully after some toughening up he can start to show it for us.

Archived