John Brayford - Crewe Alexandra

vicky-27

Looks like it might be back on again

John Brayford is thought to be on the verge of signing for Derby County this week.

The former Burton right back has been at the top of Nigel Clough's (Derby boss) wishlist all summer and whispers mount that a deal is close to being concluded.

There is some talk that Brayford has already spoken to Derby whilst the two clubs thrash out a deal, but that's the stumbling block. The Crewe board, and Gudjon, are looking at a fee of at least £500k, before you add the clauses on to the deal.

Obviously Derby are reluctant to pay that much for a player who has just one league season under his belt, having already had a smaller offer rejected earlier this season, but you would think it's unlikely that the two clubs will not come to a deal before long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GUDJON Thordarson admitted he fears that defender John Brayford could be snatched away on the eve of the season kick-off.

The Alex boss revealed that Derby County manager Nigel Clough’s interest in the right-back remains strong, and conceded it would be difficult to replace him as the early August start closes in.

He would not be interested in a player-plus-cash deal – ending rumours that Rams full-back Jason Beardsley could move to Gresty Road.

And the Icelander would not be able to splash the £500,000 Crewe want for Brayford on replacements.

Thordarson said: “It is a big concern if it drags on and then happens quickly I am left in the misery.

“John is definitely going to be a key player for me.

“There is definitely interest there but you would have to ask Cloughie. I know Cloughie is keen to do it but he inherited a big squad and he has work to do on that.

“If John is suddenly pulled out it is hard to replace him.”

Clough was Brayford’s boss at Burton Albion when Crewe snapped him up for £80,000 last summer.

Thordarson admitted he has already started to make contingency plans in case the 21-year-old is sold.

He added: “If they come for him I’d rather find my own replacement.

“I don’t want the replacement forced on me. I’d rather sort it my own way.

“I’ve looked in to it to be honest. You have to try to prepare. I’ve looked in to loan and permanent signings but we have to wait and see.

“If the club is going to sell Brayford there won’t be a great deal of that money coming back to the squad.

“His salary will be available to me but the club is trying to balance the books.

“If we spend the money there is no point selling him in the first place.”

[url=http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-alex-fc/crewe-alex-fc-news/2009/07/15/crewe-alex-boss-is-braced-for-last-ditch-rams-raid-for-brayford-96135-24153495/]http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-alex...96135-24153495/

Moxey

McEveley

Leacock

Addison

Buxton

Barker

Connolly

I think we'l still go for Brayford as cover for Connolly, I know Barker can play on the right or centre but if Leacock and Connolly get injured we're screwed again, better to have the backup in place.

Originally posted by David;23554

Moxey

McEveley

Leacock

Addison

Buxton

Barker

Connolly

I think we'l still go for Brayford as cover for Connolly, I know Barker can play on the right or centre but if Leacock and Connolly get injured we're screwed again, better to have the backup in place.

Cover for Connolly... f*ck that, stick him in right back, stick a bollard at right back an would do a better job.

I haven't seen him play other than what's been on TV and said during radio commentary and to me he doesn't seem that bad. I guess you season ticket holders get to see abit more of him so I won't argue his case until I have seen him this season.

According to someone on the DET Brayford want's out from Crewe as he's being fed microwave meals and told to find his own way to Wales for pre-season training camp. Also a press conference has been called today at Pride Park if you believe what's been said.

[url=http://forums.therams.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=30458&start=0&tstart=0]http://forums.therams.co.uk/thread.jspa?th...tart=0&tstart=0

Crewe boss Gudjon Thordarson has warned Derby that they will not let Rams-target John Brayford leave on the cheap.

Nigel Clough has made no secret of desire to take right-back Brayford to Pride Park this summer, but Crewe are doing all they can to keep a hold of the 21-year-old.

If Derby are to meet the Alex's valuation of Brayford, who played under Clough at Burton, then Thordarson wants the deal to be wrapped up quickly in order to give him time to find a replacement.

Speaking to the Derby Evening Telegraph, the former Stoke boss said: "There is definitely interest from Cloughie, because he has spoken about him on quite a number of occasions.

"I don't want to sell him because John is going to be a key player for me. Every player in the world has a price but we won't be selling him for anything less than what we think he is worth.

"I don't want it to drag on until the eve of the season and then in a flash of smoke he has gone, because he would be another influential player I would have to replace."

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guess what ? :rolleyes:

Friday, April 09, 2010, 09:20Comment on this story <-- just to prove it's a NEW story !

CREWE duo John Brayford and Ashley Westwood could be prised away from Gresty Road in a summer Rams raid.

Derby County are understood to have placed both youngsters on their list of close-season transfer targets – and cash-strapped Alex may be forced to sell.

County boss Nigel Clough has retained an interest in 22-year-old defender Brayford after selling him to Crewe for £80,000 during his Burton Albion days.

Homegrown talent Westwood, aged 20, has emerged on Clough's radar after a series of impressive performances in the centre of midfield.

Offering an eye for goal with five in 32 appearances this term, Westwood has been one of the few bright spots of Crewe's poor campaign and could run away with the player-of-the-season awards later this month.

what ever happens this season clough has got to gut rid of some of the deadwood out,

i know i harp on about kc

but would you really want another season of hit and misses,

this also goes for leacocok porter davies etc

what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

CREWE have agreed to sell captain John Brayford to Derby County at the end of the season, The Sentinel understands.

The Alex are likely to receive about £400,000, plus add-ons, from the Championship side for the 22-year-old defender when the transfer window reopens.

Brayford has been linked with a switch to Pride Park since last year, but Derby boss Nigel Clough, Brayford's manager at Burton Albion, was reluctant to match Crewe's £500,000 valuation.

Brayford, bought for £80,000 from Burton in 2008, has proved a mainstay in the Alex defence and been captain since February.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Crewe-Alex-Brayford-set-Derby/article-2105012-detail/article.html

Archived