Bywater hopes to earn deal

David

Derby County goalkeeper Stephen Bywater is determined to play his way to a new contract by impressing manager Nigel Clough.

The 27-year-old's current deal is set to run out at the end of the season and the former West Ham man is keen to stay at Pride Park.

Bywater has established himself as Clough's No.1, relegating fellow shot-stopper Roy Carroll to the bench.

The keeper, who was linked with a move to Tottenham in the summer, is likely to be in action on Wednesday in the FA Cup fourth round replay against rivals Nottingham Forest.

The two sides could not be separated at Pride Park and now the Rams know that a win would set them up for another home tie with Manchester United.

"I've only got four months left and I don't know what the future is for me," Bywater admitted to the Daily Star.

"I want to be here because there are exciting times ahead. I'm a confident person and believe I should be playing anyway."

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4893486,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4893486,00.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a similar article on DET site aswell, he mentioned Pearson had already spoken with his agent. I don't think there was any doubt he'd get a new contract.

I'm still unsure who I'd like to see as first choice number 1, alot of people seem to be on Carroll's back recently, although he has put in some decent performances aswell. Both keepers would more than likely be first choice at most of the CCC clubs this year.

Carroll is still a quality number 2 to have available on the bench, if he will accept a number 2 role at the club.

I don't understand the fans who are calling for him to be sold, we need Price to go out on loan for a full season at a League 1 or 2 club and gain first team experience before being a suitable number 2.

I think there's no doubt that we'll be offering him a new contract.

He's a great 'keeper and makes less mistakes than Roy Carroll. Carroll was a Jewell signing so I think that was the main reason why he started every week pretty much.

Bywater is our number 1, or number 13 anyway.

I feel we have two of the best keepers in the CCC. Carroll would be a premiership class keeper if he wasn't so easy to beat from distance and if he could kick. Bywater is a good keeper aswell and his kicking and throwing game is great

Originally posted by CumbrianRam;1053

I originally thought that Roy Carroll was the better 'kepper, but I have to say, Bywater has impressed me.

Cumbrian my old mate

Good to have you onboard and you Thornhill.

Bywater gets the nod for me, been there and done it. Wore the JErsey with pride and always gives 100%, Carroll is just as good though....we have a Dilemma on our hands.

Whoever is in goals, i think many of us will just hope that they play to the best of their ability.

2 great keepers in the team, can't beat that.

To be honest if Bywater keeps playing as he is doing we havent got a dilema, what we have is a very capable number 2 that can come in when needed.

I think we are in a similar situation as when we had Camp and Grant, both were decent enough keepers for this level, although both were prone to mistakes.

Thats the case for every club tho, unless your a world class keeper you have to accept that at certain stages of your career you may spend time as a number 2. Problem is some won't accept that and look to move on.

Carroll left Rangers for the same reason so I doubt he will be here for next season unless he's first choice again. Price will be back tho, hopefully will have gained experience at Luton and be ready to fill his shoes.

It's very interesting how keepers fluctuate with their form and drift in and out of the number one role. It's like for England; David James went through a terrible stage to be replaced by the excellent Paul Robinson. Robinson became rubbish and David James took the chance and jumped back between the sticks.

I'm very content with the keepers we have. Fergie couldn't say no to Carroll in one of the seasons where they won the title. He is very good back-up, as is Lewis Price who might be a decent younger prospect. It will be very beneficial for him to go out on loan.

Do you think he will stick around as a backup keeper tho? he left Rangers as he was'nt first choice. At 31 he's still got a good couple of years left as a first choice keeper and would walk into most clubs in this league starting 11.

Originally posted by David;1078

Do you think he will stick around as a backup keeper tho? he left Rangers as he was'nt first choice. At 31 he's still got a good couple of years left as a first choice keeper and would walk into most clubs in this league starting 11.

Maybe they should have a home and away policy....

Bywater at PP Caroll Away

Wonder if anyone has ever done that, or just a simple roatation system...2 on 2 off....

Then again....forget all that....just play the best for the situation.

Originally posted by PearTree Ram;1080

Maybe they should have a home and away policy....

Bywater at PP Caroll Away

Wonder if anyone has ever done that, or just a simple roatation system...2 on 2 off....

Then again....forget all that....just play the best for the situation.

Like the way England used to it.

Archived