Neal Bishop

EpidemicRam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough would know about him from his time as manager of Burton as Bishop played in the conference for a number of years. He would have been watched a few times as Clough and Co usually look at the available options nearby first of all. With funds obviously tight, not just hear but throughout the football league (Even Premier League Everton were refused a loan from the Bank for transfers this summer aparently)it is hard to offload the likes of Leacock, Martin and Bywater for fees. Watford obviously tied up Eustace. Bishop sounds exactly like the kind of player, Clough would now have to look towards as an option to fill the "experienced defensive midfielder" role. Neal Bishop has progressed up the league Pyramid, playing most of his career in non league. He had two solid years with Barnet and then was snapped up by splashing the cash Notts County in 2009. From his experience at having to work his way up from the bottom, following his release from Middlesborough as a youngster, he will have the desire to challenge himself at a new level, ala Ben Davies.

I remember years ago Clough was at Burton and he was naming the very lively threat of Steve Morrison, called him an exciting player and the most dangerous striker in the league.

Why he never went for him in his time here is a wonder :confused:

Because he never really had enough to buy a 20p mix up here and after all the bashing he gets when he does sign a lower league player how many would have been happy at the time and given him chance

Plus he joined Millwall in 2009 6 months after Clough came when he was told to get rid of players before he could bring anyone in. They spent the million pound on Barker and that was pretty much it. The case of damned if he does damned if he doesn't. That was the same season we dipped out on Charlie Adams and look at that one more than Morrison.

The question is in respect of this people ask can CLough spot a player, these two examples plus Barker, Shackell, FIelding, Brayford, Bywater, Bryson, Hendricks, Croft again, Ben Davies starting to do a job, Maguire once settle looks like a gd player, Ward, even Robinson starting to develop, surely the answer is yes.

The question is then why is the money not there. Someone has quoted this early the current economic marker has seen the arse ripped out the financing of football and the club is progressing on sound footing. If by Jan there is every chance of playoff/promotion I hope the investors invest into the team. For now I am happy with the progress.

I remember years ago Clough was at Burton and he was naming the very lively threat of Steve Morrison, called him an exciting player and the most dangerous striker in the league.

Why he never went for him in his time here is a wonder :confused:

yes clough was a bit of a john the bishop in the case of morison.

Never heard of the bloke, let alone seen him play, as I only catch up with lower league football vicariously.

Nonetheless, I'd never heard of Brayford, Bailey, Bryson etc before Clough signed them, so I'll trust his judgement. I'd be surprised if we sign any household names in the near future anyway.

Archived