England Vs India

StaffsRam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, cricket is not my sport but I am gaining an interest in it- mainly for the late night streams from the ashes etc. Seems like the boys have done us proud again today, could not have hoped for a better series so far. If we win the series do we get the rank of world no.1 or does it not work like that?

To complete England are 84-0 at close.

Great day which would have been amazing had it not been for Dhoni but he did show that this is not a bad pitch.

England bowlers were awesome, the big difference is that when England bat you can almost guarantee that one of the Indian seamers will be off (Sreesanth so far in this test) and they can relax a bit and get quick runs - the England 3 just do not let up and they reduced a terrifying looking top 5 on paper (Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar Laxman) to looking very ordinary.

On the whole best batsman in the world thing mentioned earlier I don't think you can look past Tendulkar and Kallis with Ponting as an honourable mention although he seems to be in decline. On form Bell, Cook and Trott are as good as anyone but they need to keep it going for a long time to get close to those 3 names.

Dravid is the next best in the India line up imo (and probably the World) followed by Sehwag who changed the game when it comes to opening in tests. Laxman is probably the most talented (aside from Tendulkar), he is a better version of Gower in that he makes it look so easy, he has little or no foot movement and relies a lot on boundaries - can't field too well either - old school batsman who whilst being brilliant will always be the last name remembered in that middle order although people will always talk about that innings against Waugh's Australia...

Cook and Strauss need to make sme runs here, the batting line up has been mixed up which is never good and England do not want to be chasing any sort of total batting last at Edgbaston.

Tendulkar's one of the greatest batsmen that there's ever been IMO. It's almost a shame to see him in the kind of form that he currently is, at least it would be if they were playing anyone besides England right now.

Kallis also brilliant as mentioned, and despite him being a bit of a **** at times, I think Ponting's been right up there (although not for the last 12 months!) as well.

On current form though, I find it very difficult to look past Bell, he's just in such imperious form.

the England bowlers have made the Indian top order batsmen look ordinary in this series.

i would like to see Tendulkar get his 100th international century though.

in a losing cause of course but as a fan of cricket it would be good to see him do it

Agree on the Ponting comment StaffsRam, I was at the game in 2005 where Ponting got run out by a sub fielder, I was one seat away from the steps so heard all of the abuse he was shouting at the England dressing room, it was so funny, he totally lost it - good player though - I think we got Warne for a duck that day as well.

India have been really, really poor, what made that 2005 series was that every game was close and you were never sure which way it would go - this England side are very good but this is no longer a test - India's hearts are not in the game and they just don't care - they have had the IPL and a West Indies tour before this and I think they want to go home.

Having said all that England are not letting up which would be easy to do given their dominance - they are twisting the knife the way the great ozzie teams of the last 15 years did and as a DCFC and England football supporter I am not going to complain when the team I want to win is so far ahead of it's rivals - it makes a nice change. I think the real test will come in SA, If Steyn, Morkel, Kallis, Amla, DeVilliers and Smith are all fit and firing that will be close

SA are the only thing standing between this current England side and complete and utter domination of the world game.

Top 4 sides in the world for me - India, SA, England and Australia (still) - We've utterly and completely destroyed Australia away, drawn with SA away, and we're in the process of completely humiliating India.

If SA fall in a similar manner then it bodes well for long term domination of the game.

I think SA will give us a sterner test, but I do expect us to beat them.

Archived