Tangerine upset for PNE fans

Hucknall Ram

Stick to the Seaside!

Furious Preston North End fans have complained to rival football team Blackpool after receiving glossy brochures plugging the club through their doors.

Angry Preston fans have even been sending the brochures back to Bloomfield Road while some supporters have destroyed them in a variety of ways and sent photographic evidence of their actions to their own club at Deepdale.

The Tangerines have been targeting homes in the Preston and South Ribble area with the mailshots, outlining season ticket prices and featuring a message from manager Ian Holloway.

Lilywhites supporters have been outraged at what they claim is an attempt by the Seasiders to poach PNE fans following their own relegation to League One.

Holloway’s message reads: “This region has a team to be proud of and I would encourage everyone in the area to come out and show their colours at Bloomfield Road.”

Lifelong PNE fan Chris O’Neill, 26, was so annoyed when he got two brochures through his door in Lostock Hall that he tried to burn them.

The assistant office manager said: “I thought they were taking the mick out of me when I got it twice.

“I work with a bunch of Blackpool fans so I thought it might have something to do with them at first!

“I tried to set the first one on fire but it was made from glossy paper that just would not light, so me and my four-year-old daughter Jessica ripped it up instead. My dad and my brother, who are even bigger fans, got them too.

“Everyone I have spoken to is thinking of ways to get back at them.

“PNE can go to the bottom of the league and I’d still support them.”

PNE season ticket holder Greg Wright, 36, also got a Blackpool brochure delivered to his Lostock Hall home.

Greg said: “I don’t know why they are bothering - they are just wasting their time.

“There’s enough competition around Preston to go and watch Premiership teams, so why people would watch Blackpool I don’t know.

“I’m going camping and the brochure will be the first thing on the campfire.”

Adrian Ward, PNE’s marketing manager, said: “We are well aware that several of our supporters were not too keen to receive Blackpool paraphernalia through their letterboxes and this is quite understandable as football fans are quite protective of their territory.

“Far be it for us to condone the actions of fans, but we understand that several supporters have sent the brochure back to Bloomfield Road while others have destroyed the brochures and sent us the pictorial evidence.

“We accept Blackpool’s right to target supporters any where they want, but the actions of our fans has shown the passion they hold for supporting North End.

“It has been a friendly pre-season tussle.”

Blackpool FC did not reply to several requests for a comment this week.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/tangerine_upset_for_pne_fans_1_3631142

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived