Roberto Martinez

Fowkesy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very good manager and i imagine a very good motivator from his interviews, praising the players for a good work ethic and creating chances even when it didn't come off and showed good form when they needed it most. I hope he stays at wigan because i think he could do a good job there and make an unfashionable club pretty successful in the premier league given a few years.

I hope he goes he deserves the opportunity, he has done a great job at Wigan and is the sole reason that I was glad that they stayed up. If he goes I can concentrate all of my energy in willing the relegation of such a pitiful, soulless club next season....

Loyalty is VERY hard to come by these days in football especially if your name is Steve "backstabbing" Kean or Marlon "True Gent" King ,, but Roberto Martinez has gained alot of respect by showing his loyalty to Wigan by snubbing Villa even though they offered to Triple his wages he showed he had a backbone by turning the money down alone. from what i read his only terms to stay at Wigan was to upgrade to the Training ground ,a very selfless move from a true footballing gent

Not sure I would of resisted a triple yer money pay rise. May never get another opportunity like it, and doesn't Whelen want out, who'sto say the next owner will show him the same loyalty. Fair play to him tho,.

Although I think it shows a great deal of loyalty that he's staying, I'm not entirely sure of the value, on either side, in doing so...

Unless Wigan are prepared to spend big, they'll won't have a squad that will challenge in the top half any time soon. They need to stop becoming a selling club and developer their own talent. To that end, I don't know what more Martinez could add. A couple of seasons in lower mid table, and then he'll probably be off anyway.

I think Martinez has shown loyalty and i think wigan could do well next season, they showed real form when needed and played good quality football, the players he has got can I think do well enough in that league and if he gets them playing like he did during the back end of the season they could be mid-table towards top half i think.

Great choice.. Stay at a club where if you avoid relegation, job done.. He has no pressures.. The PL is an absoloute bore fest, why would anyone want to manage there? The top 6 Liverpool, Spurs, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City will never change.. That is the top 6.. Everton will never be relegated.. You have a top 7 fixed every year. Every other club is in a fight to avouid relegation, and if you're a big club like S'Land Villa. or Newcastle the best you can hope for is a 10 finish, and if you end up 13th or below you're likely to be shown the door..

Martinez would be a fool to move to Villa, what can he possibly do there? Finish 7th is his only realistic option, and perhaps a good cup run.. Boring. IMO he'll stick it out at Wigan, make them a solid club like Fulham playing good football then wait for a big club in Spain to get rid of the manager..

It's so much better in Spain, outside of Barca and Real Madrid there are many big clubs who can be taken over and you can realistically finish in the top 4 and get Champions League football. It's much more open.. Anyone from Atl Madrid, Valencia, Villareal, Espanol, Sevilla, Real Betis, Malaga, Real Zaragoza, Atl Bilboa can make the top 4 given their fanbase and potential.. Villareal for instance before 2002 were a smaller club than Derby, they weren't bankrolled, they just gradually improved like Spurs and went on from there.. La Liga IMO is a much more attractive league than The PL and has much more potential IMO.

I can see Roberto Martinez at someone like Sevilla in 2/3 years.

Comes down to a 2-horse race tho, I guess. A very attractive league and one of the top 2 in Europe (alongside the EPL), but the EPL is getting more and more unpredictable and exciting at the same time. Hopefully more young English players will continue to be 'over-hyped' and therefor feature more often.

Crazy about Villareal tho!.....Have they had to spend big tho?. By that I mean, Spurs have spent a hell of a lot of money shipping players in and out and buying back ex players etc. I presume Villareal have done it a lil bit more shrewd??

Comes down to a 2-horse race tho, I guess. A very attractive league and one of the top 2 in Europe (alongside the EPL), but the EPL is getting more and more unpredictable and exciting at the same time. Hopefully more young English players will continue to be 'over-hyped' and therefor feature more often.

Crazy about Villareal tho!.....Have they had to spend big tho?. By that I mean, Spurs have spent a hell of a lot of money shipping players in and out and buying back ex players etc. I presume Villareal have done it a lil bit more shrewd??

The top of the PL is also very predictable.. It's only Man Utd with the occasional good season from Chelsea.. Man City are improving, but Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool aren't challengers and IMO won't be for the foreseeable future.

La Liga is dominated by one of the best teams that's ever graced the game plus Real Madrid, are European powerhouse whose had endless success for the past 50-60 years.. If Man Utd were in La Liga it would still only be a two horse race..

Villareal just invested in youth, and bought in players from South America.. They were so close to an all Spanish CL final with Barca, Requilme missing a last minute penalty to put them through.. Crazy the journey they went on.. Sevilla were also never really a big club until they won back to back Uefa Cup titles.. Destroying the likes of Spurs and Boro on their way.

I like the way Liverpool and Spurs are going after English players, could actually improve the national team in the long run.

Anyway, Roberto Martinez.. Rate him as a cracking young manager and a top guy.. His English is immaculate, puts Arsene Wengers English to shame.

The top of the PL is also very predictable.. It's only Man Utd with the occasional good season from Chelsea.. Man City are improving, but Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool aren't challengers and IMO won't be for the foreseeable future.

La Liga is dominated by one of the best teams that's ever graced the game plus Real Madrid, are European powerhouse whose had endless success for the past 50-60 years.. If Man Utd were in La Liga it would still only be a two horse race..

Villareal just invested in youth, and bought in players from South America.. They were so close to an all Spanish CL final with Barca, Requilme missing a last minute penalty to put them through.. Crazy the journey they went on.. Sevilla were also never really a big club until they won back to back Uefa Cup titles.. Destroying the likes of Spurs and Boro on their way.

I like the way Liverpool and Spurs are going after English players, could actually improve the national team in the long run.

Anyway, Roberto Martinez.. Rate him as a cracking young manager and a top guy.. His English is immaculate, puts Arsene Wengers English to shame.

As a person, or on his English speaking?

Archived