16,200 Season Tickets Sold

Srg

DERBY County have already sold more than 16,000 season tickets for the 2011-12 campaign.

The early bird period for renewal closed on Sunday and around 16,200 season tickets have been purchased.

"We are delighted with the take up of renewals, it is a very positive response," said a club spokesman.

The figure is a few hundred down on this stage last year, possibly around 500. The drop is not unexpected after the Rams finished 19th in the Championship but the amount already sold is extremely healthy compared with other Championship clubs.

Some disappointed fans are deliberating over whether or not to buy a season ticket. They are waiting to see which new signings arrive this summer as the club bids to reshape its squad. But manager Nigel Clough has told fans: "We understand if you are unsure at this stage, but stick with us, if you can.

"Think about the improved performances generally at home this season and have a little bit of faith in us that we are going to bring players in.

"Let's see who we get in. We have our targets and if we can get the majority of them we're pretty confident we can compete.

"We are going to try and build on the positives of this season.

"People will look at the league table and the fact we finished lower and did not get as many points as last season but the performances and the entertainment have improved

"There have been a handful of games when we haven't been very good, a handful out of 23, but fans have also said they have seen some of the best football from a Derby team in 15 years."

Derby hit a purple patch earlier this season when they won six consecutive home league games, a club record at Pride Park Stadium, and supporters lapped up the entertainment. Clough has praised the loyalty of the fans.

"Derby supporters are very loyal, never for one second do we take them for granted," he said.

Rams fan Stuart Hughes added: "I renewed my season ticket – for me there was never a possibility of not renewing. My parents and I have held a season ticket since the 1975-76 season.

"The last campaign was dire but I'm ever the optimist. I'm pleasantly surprised that 16,200 have renewed.

"Signings are the key now, otherwise the money back guarantee could be tested – but not by me."

Derby said they had around 19,800 season ticket holders in the season just completed. The average attendance was 26,023, a figure more than 3,000 down on last season but still the second highest in the Championship behind Leeds (27,299) and the 15th best in the country. They had an average gate higher than seven Premier League clubs.

therams.co.uk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still amazed that we can even dream those sort of figures, let alone achieve them.

Are we the only club in the country to have the right sized ground for our fanbase?

Obviously I know you are being sarcastic because of teams like Arsenal, Man Utd etc., but more on our level, Norwich always seem to fill their ground.

Well of course it will be mate; im not going to buy 16,000 season tickets myself lol ;) Attendance gap is closing my dear friend

Funny how it's still merely closing despite us being so **** and you doing well again.

I wasn't being sarcastic (for once), how many clubs in this country have grounds they can't fill?

Coventry, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Darlington - why build a new stadium!?

Any club that can't fill 75% of their ground has a ground too big for them, and there are so many of them around. Pride Park is a rare example of a ground being just the right size, because even when we're crap, we only have about 6,000 spare seats.

I wasn't being sarcastic (for once), how many clubs in this country have grounds they can't fill?

Coventry, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Darlington - why build a new stadium!?

Any club that can't fill 75% of their ground has a ground too big for them, and there are so many of them around. Pride Park is a rare example of a ground being just the right size, because even when we're crap, we only have about 6,000 spare seats.

When I was in uni I decided to go watch Darlo vs Burton Albion. 26,000 seater stadium with about 1,000 home fans. Atmosphere was dire. They expected only about 50 Burton fans too. Turns out we weren't playinjg that day so quite a few Derby fans turned up. There was about 1 pie on sale and a Mars bar. Absolute joke

Well, there is the money back option of course. That will have convinced many people, myself included, to renew their ticket now before the prices go up, see what happens, then get their money back if they are not satisfied with signings.

I was adamant that I would not renew until the club announced the money back offer. Then I figured I have nothing to lose.

I don't agree with Clough's comments in the article though where he states that performances in general have improved at home this season. We have been appallingly bad for the majority of the season. It sounds like more spin to me. He's been spending too much time with Tom Glick.

We all rush to renew because the price goes up after a certain specified date. Why would anyone wait to pay more for exactly the same product when they could have bought it earlier for a cheaper price?! There is a recession on!
I am not talking about supporters,I am saying why the push by the Yanks, the more people that pay the full price the better for them surely, and if they ARE pumping millions in why the big push ?

To be honest, Its a great figure for us to have after the season we have just had. Plus, from many people I have talked to who are NOT renewing, their words are that they will "jump on the bandwagon" should the club do well. If this is the case, the sale of full price season tickets and individual match tickets will be much higher, bringing in a bigger amount of revenue than just early bird season ticket money, that for the majority of people, is spread over three of four payments anyway! Quids in Lads!

Archived