David Mirfin - Scunthorpe

chaperz21

This point about not being mobile bcause you're big doesn't stack up though.

Addison looks less mobile, because he's got alot bigger on the top half of his body. I'm guessing due to his foot injury, leg work wasn't an option, and i think that's the prolblem with him.

If this guy works his legs aswell then he won't be any less mobile....quicker if anything.

fair point i suppose. but it all depends how he works his legs. if he just does heavy weights and low reps he will be slower and stronger and more than likely slower.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening gents - first post so please be gentle in any assassinations.

It strikes me that we rams have long lacked that "scare" factor in our centre halves. I don't tie this down to abilitly in any individual player per se, but if we want to go forward then we have to tighten up. 1.5 goals per game over the last 3-4 years aint good enough. Part of this HAS to be someone who scares the oppo forwards. No? Forget mobile. If he stands there and makes the other teams forwards "brick it" then that, to my mind, is useful. After all, that's more or less what dave mackay did.

It strikes me that we rams have long lacked that "scare" factor in our centre halves. I don't tie this down to abilitly in any individual player per se, but if we want to go forward then we have to tighten up. 1.5 goals per game over the last 3-4 years aint good enough. Part of this HAS to be someone who scares the oppo forwards. No? Forget mobile. If he stands there and makes the other teams forwards "brick it" then that, to my mind, is useful. After all, that's more or less what dave mackay did.

Hi Hants and welcome! I agree we need a presence in the heart of defence but not in the extreme- we have had players in the past that take half an hour to turn around!

This point about not being mobile bcause you're big doesn't stack up though.

Addison looks less mobile, because he's got alot bigger on the top half of his body. I'm guessing due to his foot injury, leg work wasn't an option, and i think that's the prolblem with him.

If this guy works his legs aswell then he won't be any less mobile....quicker if anything.

Miles has lost a lot of upper body mass already.

That's a good point.

How scary can a centre back be who can't pivot or put weight on or tackle with his left knee though? A fully fit Shaun Barker would help solve things, no doubt.

Welcome aboard!

Isn't he the big Number 6 for Scunny. The old big massive strong centre half. Always looks good against us. I would welcome him alongside Barker.

Think you're thinking of Rob Jones.

Ssausagehorpe United goalkeeper Joe Murphy and defender David Mirfin have left the club following their relegation to League One.

The duo have not been offered new deals and boss Alan Knill said both had told him they wished to move on.

"They're good players and you don't want to lose good players," Knill told the club's official website.

Rory Coleman, Johnathan Williams, Paris Cowan-Hall, Ian Morris and Josh Wright have also left Glanford Park.

Republic of Ireland international Murphy, 29, had been with Ssausagehorpe for five years and made 227 appearances.

His spell with the club saw two promotions to and two relegations from the Championship and a Johnstone's Paint Trophy final defeat by Luton at Wembley.

Mirfin, 26, joined the Iron three years ago and played 111 times.

Knill continued: "With Joe and David, they more or less came out and said they wouldn't be here next year. We had meetings with both players and they effectively said they were looking to be somewhere else.

"Unfortunately, the ball was in their court and they both decided they wanted to be somewhere else next season.

"I wish them luck, they've done really well in the short time I've been here and I have been really impressed with their attitude."

Neither left-back Coleman nor midfielder Williams made a first-team appearance for the Iron.

Morris, another midfielder, made 92 appearances for the club, but spent last season on loan at Chesterfield. Cowan-Hall, a striker, made a single appearance before spending the last three months of the season on loan at Rushden & Diamonds.

Wright made 81 appearances for the club over two seasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13469477.stm

Archived