Brayford to Stoke City ?

BBG

I really don't think he's worth £2.5m. A top player, yes, but he's not worth that much. If a player like him for that sort of fee, I'd be incredibly dissapointed.

Providing Clough could reinvest that in to the squad, I'd bite Stoke's hand off.

£2.5m could buy you 6 more John Brayfords.

But I'd ONLY sell him if it went straight in to the transfer kitty.

It's all about potential.. The best clubs spot this. Whilst John Brayford isn't worth $2.5mill, he's not even worth over $1mill IMO based on his level currently, Stoke wouldn't be buying him for his level now, more for his level in 3 years time.

$2.5mil is a bargain if in 2 or 3 years he's going to be Englands right back and consistantly good for the remainder of his career ie. another 8 years.

It's like the Andy Carroll deal. His ability now isn't worth $10mill let alone $35mill. But he's got the next 12-13 years at PL level and when you have a player who will put in brilliant performances for that period of time it's worth it.

If you could go back in time and buy Ryan Giggs, Paulo Maldini or Raul (knowing they'll still be putting in near world class performances well into their 30s) when they were 18 years old how much would they be worth? For 20 years of consistant brilliant/world class performances you're looking at $50mill each.

John Brayfords potential (if he fulfills it) makes the $2.5mill bid seem a pittance. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a flop and have a resell value of only $500k.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stay John.

Stoke have peaked this year, and they will pass us as we go up to the Prem.

But,

If I were him, and Derby came in for me while I was at a lower league club, I'd want to go to my home town club too.

It's all about potential.. The best clubs spot this. Whilst John Brayford isn't worth $2.5mill, he's not even worth over $1mill IMO based on his level currently, Stoke wouldn't be buying him for his level now, more for his level in 3 years time.

$2.5mil is a bargain if in 2 or 3 years he's going to be Englands right back and consistantly good for the remainder of his career ie. another 8 years.

It's like the Andy Carroll deal. His ability now isn't worth $10mill let alone $35mill. But he's got the next 12-13 years at PL level and when you have a player who will put in brilliant performances for that period of time it's worth it.

If you could go back in time and buy Ryan Giggs, Paulo Maldini or Raul (knowing they'll still be putting in near world class performances well into their 30s) when they were 18 years old how much would they be worth? For 20 years of consistant brilliant/world class performances you're looking at $50mill each.

John Brayfords potential (if he fulfills it) makes the $2.5mill bid seem a pittance. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a flop and have a resell value of only $500k.

Unless we get promoted, he's not going to develop in to a player worth more than £2.5m, I'd say.

As I say, £2.5m = 6 more Brayfords for us now, and maybe we could get in to the sort of position where we could think about keeping them.

I'd trust Nigel with that sort of money, the one fee he paid for two players in the summer went to this season's Young Player and Player of the Season.

Unless we get promoted, he's not going to develop in to a player worth more than £2.5m, I'd say.

As I say, £2.5m = 6 more Brayfords for us now, and maybe we could get in to the sort of position where we could think about keeping them.

I'd trust Nigel with that sort of money, the one fee he paid for two players in the summer went to this season's Young Player and Player of the Season.

Why sell them? There is no need to sell so why sell them. I would prefer not to sell and give Clough the same amount again to find another Player of the Season and Young player of the season.

Agree - the key point here is that we're told that we don't have to sell. So, I'm willing to wait on this one and then, in Glick's own words, judge them on their actions rather than their words. We're told that we don't need to sell, so will we?

I'm 99.8% certain JB was released as a schoolboy by Stoke before he joined the Pat Lyons/Wass academy at Burton. Unless I'm having made up flash backs - I also think he went through a bit of a tough time when he was released and it took Pat and Wass some time to rebuild his confidence, maybe he'll remember that when it comes to deciding to move back "home" !!

I hope we don't sell but a +5 times return on investment over a 12 month period might be tempting. it would also show the "buy young talent to develop with high sell on potential" tactic had worked already.

I don't think he needs to move yet and I think he'll know that - he seems a pretty down to earth lad - he's only had one season at this level and he's got time on his side.

If, and it's a huge if, Stoke have offered £2.5m, John Brayford will not be a Derby player next season.

It is a good offer for the player, which probably overvalues him, and would represent enough cash for Nigel to seriously overhaul the team without the owners having to find a penny. IMO the club would certainly sell for that figure.

I'm sure Brayford would jump at the move. He has just brought a house in Stoke, he's from there orginally and supported them as a kid. He will get a much higher wage there and, potentially give himself the chance to edge towards the England team. I'm not saying he's international quality yet, but he'll be more likely to get noticed on the bigger stage should he improve further.

I just hope the story is not true, because if it is, Reading will be John's last game for Derby.

if they offer 2.5m he will go. i think we might push them up though and 3m would be a very tidy sum considering. that could shape a good squad with maybe 2m from the board thats good investment. I do think Brayford will get to an England squad if he moves on. maybe in the next year or so, he certainly has the potential.

I'm of the opinion that unless an offer is derisory, which this isn't, you should put it to the player. It's their career and I think they should be given the option.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in it though. Seems an easy connect the dots for any journalist. Player of the year for struggling Championship side linked with mid table Prem side that's where he was born.

We wait and see.

Stoke will also be playing European football next season

If it's true, I can see JB putting in a transfer request should the inital bid get rejected.. And can you blame him?

Stoke are currently light years ahead of our current level.

I really do not know if this is true or not but the mere rumour annoyed me as i thought here we go again ! I think he is a qualiity player and has great potential

in todays market i dont think 2.5m is over valued at all. as an ex central defender i watch the defence carefully. he has proved a class player this season. in the QPR game he made two great interceptions that were given as goal kicks! roger johnson went from cardiff to brum for 5m, dawson went from forest to spurs for 4m, so 2.5m is a bargain for stoke.

go for bujis a free replacement. get kozluk back from blades if not too old?

2.5million for Brayford is a lot of money, surely that valuation has him down as easily the best right back outside the premiership, Gunter worth about 2million along with rangel and perhaps orr.

however if we did sell Brayford for 2.5million, I don't think any of us can complain.

2.1million pound profit inside a year.

The complaint for me wouldn't be the fee.

It'd be with the ridiculous "building a young hungry team for future" plan.

How does selling Brayford fit into that? We going to get another lower league young RB? Keep him if he's rubbish and sell him on if he's good?

Genius plan.

£2.5m wont help us get promotion. Good players will. Brayford is a good player. Sell the rubbish ones. Or forget this fool plan of building young hungry talent to take us to the PL.

Has it been mentioned in the media again yet? Or was it just a fleeting rumour.

Like CaughtOffside reported Liverpool will now move for Taraabt and Charlie Adam in £20m swoop. Man Utd are to bring in Given and Buffon if they can face off the stiff compettition from Arsenal. Arsene Wenger is willing to spend £30m this summer to sure up his defence.

The Sun reporting Chelsea will spend £80m on Fabregas and Bale.

If it's like those rumours..... well then lets not get too worked up. :rolleyes:

The complaint for me wouldn't be the fee.

It'd be with the ridiculous "building a young hungry team for future" plan.

How does selling Brayford fit into that? We going to get another lower league young RB? Keep him if he's rubbish and sell him on if he's good?

Genius plan.

£2.5m wont help us get promotion. Good players will. Brayford is a good player. Sell the rubbish ones. Or forget this fool plan of building young hungry talent to take us to the PL.

Has it been mentioned in the media again yet? Or was it just a fleeting rumour.

Like CaughtOffside reported Liverpool will now move for Taraabt and Charlie Adam in £20m swoop. Man Utd are to bring in Given and Buffon if they can face off the stiff compettition from Arsenal. Arsene Wenger is willing to spend £30m this summer to sure up his defence.

The Sun reporting Chelsea will spend £80m on Fabregas and Bale.

If it's like those rumours..... well then lets not get too worked up. :rolleyes:

That particularly made me laugh, Buffon would fit in at Arsenal tho. But I think he's too poor for United and would be a high price. Really don't think he should be touted as one of the worlds best as he is clearly very overrated and naturally to the Italian goalkeepers, Both erratic and punch-loving. Thought Pagliuca and clearly Zoff were phenomenal tho.

Anyway, Good post. Although financially genius, Only really sell Brayford if he REALLY wants to go and can't wait for later in his career. Europe would completely sell him tho. Bloody Tyrone Mears the second!!! :mad::mad:

Archived