Year on Year Improvement?

Ramalama

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No we are not.

We are getting rid of players that although they can do more than a capable job in this league, increase our wage bill, we are a business not a football club and therefore bringing in players from the lower league in a hope that they may be as good is the way forward.

Add to that a player or 5 from Non League and we suddenly have a team that is going to challange for the top 6, on a very low wage budget.

Also Tom says we will be investing this year, not like other years where he only indicated money would be available, this time it will be and I belive him.

No we are not.

We are getting rid of players that although they can do more than a capable job in this league, increase our wage bill, we are a business not a football club and therefore bringing in players from the lower league in a hope that they may be as good is the way forward.

Add to that a player or 5 from Non League and we suddenly have a team that is going to challange for the top 6, on a very low wage budget.

Also Tom says we will be investing this year, not like other years where he only indicated money would be available, this time it will be and I belive him.

I may be a bit dumb here but I'm struggling to work out whether you are taking the p**s or not! :confused:

Forget it, you are taking the p**s!

I'm sure the apologists will be out in full force again though, last year it was injuries, this year it's the wage bill.

Yep, those are pretty big reasons. You have barely a decent first team and when key players get injured like we had last season, it doesn't take a genious to understand the impact it will have.

Likewise with cutting costs rather than investing in better players. Pretty good reason why we haven't made progress.

What I'd be interested to hear your excuses for not actually understanding these points - other than you think Clough is ***** and GSE are bullshitters?

Yep, those are pretty big reasons. You have barely a decent first team and when key players get injured like we had last season, it doesn't take a genious to understand the impact it will have.

Likewise with cutting costs rather than investing in better players. Pretty good reason why we haven't made progress.

What I'd be interested to hear your excuses for not actually understanding these points - other than you think Clough is ***** and GSE are bullshitters?

What else do you need?

we're all talkin about building teams on a budget, managers like my man Gus Poyet, and Paul Lambert and even Malky Mackay are doing very decent jobs with players on lower wages...

They dont dis the players in public, and dont send them to 'coventy' for one bad game....

As i have said b4, its been said he's intelligent and in a big learning curve, if GSE intend to keep him lets hope the curve is flattening out,and he's learnt that being an arrogant. stoppy, petulant, stuborn, abusive manager was maybe good for his dad, but times have changed.......

and it doesnt make other decent managers want to lend u players on loan,(liverpool aside) which looks like part of the overall plan

are we going backwards or just standing still whilst everyone else builds better teams than us?

I think personally we are going backwards, and that is a worry! :frown:

We have never been the best of teams for building on success, or even building on failure. :confused: We have of course had our moments including the fairly recent Billy Davies promotion business, but generally we are ****! None League Nigel has not done enough in his 3 year (almost) reign to warrant any confidence in his or his Coaches to get us anywhere near The Premiership.

I hate The Yanks but can see why they are not pumping money in - who would?

Daft thing is I am a season ticket holder and DTID but where are we going?

Pete Derby and his fans may think Clough is God ;)- but I am not so sure. Nearly 3 years of relative failure cannot be blamed on lack of investment - surely one decent player from the Academy should have been born?

Football is a results based business and results lead to league positions, we will know whether we have improved this season or not in 7 games time.

I think personally we are going backwards, and that is a worry! :frown:

We have never been the best of teams for building on success, or even building on failure. :confused: We have of course had our moments including the fairly recent Billy Davies promotion business, but generally we are ****! None League Nigel has not done enough in his 3 year (almost) reign to warrant any confidence in his or his Coaches to get us anywhere near The Premiership.

I hate The Yanks but can see why they are not pumping money in - who would?

Daft thing is I am a season ticket holder and DTID but where are we going?

Pete Derby and his fans may think Clough is God ;)- but I am not so sure. Nearly 3 years of relative failure cannot be blamed on lack of investment - surely one decent player from the Academy should have been born?

It's unlikely that you will spot a player, bring him in and then have him in the team within 3 years. How many 15 yr olds who will be good enough to play for the first team at 18 aren't already at a club?

Unfortunately, the good work done in an Academy is usually reaped by a manager or two down the line.

There are 2 trains of thought on this issue, firstly that NC has created money from practically every transfer window and has managed on an overall minus transfer budget.

Pro's -

He has signed some exciting players at value prices (Barker, Brayford etc)

Slashed the wage bill from £18.5M and it is currently around £8.5M and kept us in the CCC while doing this!

Con's

Tactically inept!

Players players out of position.

Lambasts players publcally.

Cannot motivate the players.

Does not lead the team from the touchline effectively

Overall, I think the Board should thank him publically for his efforts this season and then pay him off. Get an experienced manager in for me, before he blows any transfer budget on the likes of ben Davies type signings - clearly not good enough!

There are 2 trains of thought on this issue, firstly that NC has created money from practically every transfer window and has managed on an overall minus transfer budget.

Pro's -

He has signed some exciting players at value prices (Barker, Brayford etc)

Slashed the wage bill from £18.5M and it is currently around £8.5M and kept us in the CCC while doing this!

Con's

Tactically inept!

Players players out of position.

Lambasts players publcally.

Cannot motivate the players.

Does not lead the team from the touchline effectively

Overall, I think the Board should thank him publically for his efforts this season and then pay him off. Get an experienced manager in for me, before he blows any transfer budget on the likes of ben Davies type signings - clearly not good enough!

You forgot the third train of thought:-

Some fans think they're experts at something they've never done in their lives and tend to forget this when making sweeping statements about replacing the manager.

Some fans can't fathom the sense in a more pragmatic argument for lack of progress at the club (other than it's the managers fault), so they're only default response is 'you're in love with the Clough name'.

Overall, I think the club should do what they say they're going to do, and fans should let Clough get on with it and support their club.

You forgot the third train of thought:-

Some fans think they're experts at something they've never done in their lives and tend to forget this when making sweeping statements about replacing the manager.

Some fans can't fathom the sense in a more pragmatic argument for lack of progress at the club (other than it's the managers fault), so they're only default response is 'you're in love with the Clough name'.

Overall, I think the club should do what they say they're going to do, and fans should let Clough get on with it and support their club.

So basically fans who ever they support can't think the manager isn't doing a good job as they clearly wrong and can't have that opinion as they arent professional football managers.

Isn't that part of what makers football so great not only the matches but all the debate by media and fans afterwards. Bit rich from someone who posts a lot on a football forum .

Good post, totally agree. Our 'decline' can be attributed to a number of things, and not one person can be solely responsible.

With regard to a negative being 'publicly lambasting players', he seemed to have got some good performances out of Cwyka since the ridiculous furore after the Leicester game. What makes it so negative?

Archived