Matt Duke - Hull City

derbydan

Experienced goalkeeper Matt Duke has joined Derby County on an emergency loan for the remainder of the season from Hull City.

The 33-year-old custodian has joined the Rams as cover for first-choice shot-stopper Frank Fielding following Stephen Bywater's loan switch to Cardiff City, which was completed earlier today.

Sheffield-born Duke played under Nigel Clough at Burton Albion, and the Derby boss believes he has the necessary experience to work alongside Fielding to compete for the number one spot.

Clough said: "We know Matt well; he has good experience both in the Championship and Premier League, and he is ideal for us to work alongside Frank and Ross Atkins."

The 6ft 5in goalkeeper began his career in the non-league circuit with Matlock Town, and after a brief spell at Sheffield United he joined Burton Albion in 2000.

He spent the next four years playing under Clough, and his fine performances attracted interest from a number of Football League clubs.

In the summer of 2004 Hull won the battle for his services, and he acted as cover for the impressive Boaz Myhill during their promotions from League One, in 2005, and, in 2008, the Championship.

He made his Premier League debut in January 2009 and saved a penalty during a Man of the Match display against West Ham United at the KC Stadium, although the Tigers lost the game 2-0.

After Myhill's departure to West Bromwich Albion last summer he began this season as the Tigers' first-choice goalkeeper in the Championship, but he hasn't made a league appearance since the end of November.

Duke has been handed the number 33 shirt and will be in the Derby squad to face Barnsley at Pride Park Stadium tomorrow.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good number 2 I hope he isnt on more money than what Deenny is on as cant see him playing any more games than what Deenny has!!!

I think you will probably find he is on much more then Deeney.

Interesting enough I work with Stephen Warnocks(villa full back) cousin and Matt Dukes(hulls keeper) brother in law. I've never met either of them or really spoke much about them, however can tell you that Matt Duke is infact on 12 grand a week, not bad for an average championship keeper... ay!

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4996&highlight=duke&page=2

We are now probably paying wages for 6 keepers!!!!!

Fielding

Some of Bywaters?

Severn

Atkins

Deeney

and Duke

He's played around twenty games in the Premiership within the last three years, kept a few cleansheets.

I cant see us paying all his wages as Ive previously said he was on 12,000 a week at Hull, can ask on Monday if the bloke at work as heard anything, could perhaps shed some light on the move, im guessin' they will probably see each other at the weekend if Duke has moved down this way!

I cant see us paying all his wages as Ive previously said he was on 12,000 a week at Hull, can ask on Monday if the bloke at work as heard anything, could perhaps shed some light on the move, im guessin' they will probably see each other at the weekend if Duke has moved down this way!

If he is on 12k and we are paying more than 25% of his wage's I dont think it is that good of a deal we have keepers that can sit on bench, wouldnt it of been better loaning a left back:confused:

Oh dear I'm one of those posters who criticize a signing before the ink is dry:frown:

If he is on 12k and we are paying more than 25% of his wage's I dont think it is that good of a deal we have keepers that can sit on bench, wouldnt it of been better loaning a left back:confused:

Oh dear I'm one of those posters who criticize a signing before the ink is dry:frown:

+1.

why on earth have we not signed an LB?

• 2 months later...

Duke has been released by Hull. One of Clough`s trusted soldiers of old to return here??

Clough has a penchant for signing players who he already knows or has managed. Could he be offered a deal as a back up keeper to Fielding?

You would have thought they must have had a chat about it when he was here on loan at least.

Guess it depends if Deeney is offered another year extension and also if Clough wants to get rid of Bywater. Clough must be aware he has been a bit of a wind up merchant with his tweets.

Bywater is certain to want a move this summer as well.

he's bound to have suiters but is still under contract with us. Think he will be a disruptive influence if he stays.

Doubt Atkins would be penned in as the back up keeper to Fielding, but maybe that is the plan. Atkins is still learning and seems a humble enough character to understand he needs to gain further keeping experience on loan next year.

I think Duke would be a good signing. This season has shown the folly of only having ne proper keeper. Fielding will be number one, but it can only be good that he knows there is an experienced backup waiting for his chance. Atkins seems like an excellent number three and could be loaned out to get some more experience.

I don't think Bywater would be welcome back even if he wants to come. I think we'll see him move in the summer. If Deeney was going to get a new contract he'd have got it by now. Being injured didn't seem to prevent Buxton from being extended.

He was actually on 16,000 a week which he managed to keep hold onto even after they were relegated, no wonder he didn't mind sitting on the bench, this is why Deeney is a brilliant choice along with Atkins because we should only use them at most 5-10 a year, so picking up a first team wage is an absolute waste, if worse comes to worse it seems easy enough to loan in anyway!

Archived