Formula One World Championship 2011

Duracell

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How important is the driver in F1. It seems to me that whoever has the better car each year tends to win.

If Button was in the Red Bull-renault for instance, he'd probably win it.

It's still incredibly important. F1 drivers get paid even more than footballers, with demand shifting the price for their services out of control.

To compare it to football - Kris Commons can shine for Derby, be an important player, but he's not going to make us win anything single-handedly and he won't win anything with Derby, because it's a team game. So he joins Celtic where he can.

Similarly, Fernando Alonso used to drive at the back for Minardi. He shone and was signed for Renault and the rest is history.

F1 is just like any other team game in many ways.

Sometimes, one car can be clearly better than the rest, but there's still 2 drivers for each team that have the same car. Between them it's down to athleticism, car control, reactions etc that will shine through.

The cream rises to the top.

I understand that one driver may have fractionally better reflexes than another, but, in a F1 race, there is very little between them. Like you say, the cream rises to the top, therefore the starters in a F1 race are the best.

The car makes the difference.

Even someone with a very limited knowledge of the sport knows that the 2nd driver in a team has a role to play and may have to follow orders occasionally.

I understand that one driver may have fractionally better reflexes than another, but, in a F1 race, there is very little between them. Like you say, the cream rises to the top, therefore the starters in a F1 race are the best.

The car makes the difference.

Even someone with a very limited knowledge of the sport knows that the 2nd driver in a team has a role to play and may have to follow orders occasionally.

And fitness is a massive issues these days. One of the reason Schumacher is way off the pace compared to his team mate is that he just can't put the car quite on its limit.

And yes, that is true, because the drivers are employed by the team. But one of the fascinating thing about F1 is the team rivalry. It's like 11 football teams playing each other on the pitch at the same time.

Yet still, in F1 history, F1 drivers are remembered more than the cars they drove. Everyone can name some old F1 drivers - Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Jackie Stewart, Juan Manuel Fangio etc. Most people can't name the cars they drove.

yeah i understand that Donny. I was just pointing out that one year Jensen Button is the best driver in the world, the next year he ain't!

The margins between the drivers' skill must be smaller than that between the car's technical abilities.

yeah i understand that Donny. I was just pointing out that one year Jensen Button is the best driver in the world, the next year he ain't!

The margins between the drivers' skill must be smaller than that between the car's technical abilities.

That was the ill-informed media telling you that, us lot 'in the know' understood he was propelled by one of the best cars this side of the millenium ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Webber on pole on Barcelona, Vettel 2nd, 3 hunderths of second seperate Hamilton in 3rd, Alonso in 4th & Button in 5th.:eek:

The grid:

Pos Driver Team Time Gap

1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m20.981s

2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.181s + 0.200

3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.961s + 0.980

4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.964s + 0.983

5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.996s + 1.015

6. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m22.471s + 1.490

7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.599s + 1.618

8. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m22.888s + 1.907

9. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m22.952s + 1.971 1

10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes No time

Q3 cut-off time: 1m23.506s Gap **

11. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1.691

12. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari + 1.827

13. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 2.154

14. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 2.162

15. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault + 3.863

16. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 4.586

17. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 5.031

Q3 cut-off time: 1m25.874s Gap *

18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault + 3.561

19. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 3.950

20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 4.355

21. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth + 4.849

22. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth + 4.948

23. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth + 5.596

24. Nick Heidfeld Renault No time

107% time: 1m28.767s

* Gap to quickest in Q1

** Gap to quickest in Q2

Vettel just beats Hamilton, Button 3rd. Schumacher 6th.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain;

66 laps; 307.104km;

Weather: Sunny.

Classified: Pos Driver Team Time

1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1h39:03.301

2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes + 0.630

3. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 35.697

4. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 47.966

5. Alonso Ferrari + 1 lap

6. Schumacher Mercedes + 1 lap

7. Rosberg Mercedes + 1 lap

8. Heidfeld Renault + 1 lap

9. Perez Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap

10. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap

11. Petrov Renault + 1 lap

12. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap

13. Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap

14. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap

15. Maldonado Williams-Cosworth + 1 lap

16. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 2 laps

17. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 2 laps

18. Trulli Lotus-Renault + 2 laps

19. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 3 laps

20. D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth + 3 laps

21. Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth + 4 laps

Fastest lap: Alonso, 1:26.727

Not classified/retirements:

Driver Team On lap

Massa Ferrari 60

Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 49

Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 29

World Championship standings, round 5:

Drivers: Constructors:

1. Vettel 118 1. Red Bull-Renault 185

2. Hamilton 77 2. McLaren-Mercedes 138

3. Webber 67 3. Ferrari 75

4. Button 61 4. Renault 46

5. Alonso 51 5. Mercedes 40

6. Rosberg 26 6. Sauber-Ferrari 11

7. Heidfeld 25 7. Toro Rosso-Ferrari 6

8. Massa 24 8. Force India-Mercedes 4

9. Petrov 21

10. Schumacher 14

11. Kobayashi 9

12. Buemi 6

13. Sutil 2

14. Di Resta 2

15. Perez 2

All timing unofficial

Are David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan having a competition on who can wear the worst belt with tight jeans?

Then there's EJ hair, shirts and glasses. Who dresses him?

I love everything about BBC's coverage, and the pundits' clothing is right up there with my favourite stuff.

EJ is constantly donned in purple.

I love everything about BBC's coverage, and the pundits' clothing is right up there with my favourite stuff.

EJ is constantly donned in purple.

I miss Martin Brundle walking through the grid just before everyone runs like a girl off to the side with their trolleys and stuff.

I'm sure his shirt had another button undone every time he butted in on Italys live interviews to ask a driver a question he wasn't allowed to answer. :D

He's brilliant in the commentary box, so is DC, but i would love his walk through the grids to comeback. :D

I miss Martin Brundle walking through the grid just before everyone runs like a girl off to the side with their trolleys and stuff.

I'm sure his shirt had another button undone every time he butted in on Italys live interviews to ask a driver a question he wasn't allowed to answer. :D

He's brilliant in the commentary box, so is DC, but i would love his walk through the grids to comeback. :D

He still does his grid walk-throughs?

Archived