So who likes a good (possibly crap) book then?

Alex W

I'm writing a book currently and could use some test readers, i've got it up on a writing site but i've pretty much left that so not getting that many hits on it.

It's a historical fiction book with sci-fi elements to it.

Quick summary of it is that a Celtic warrior is killed during the times of the second Roman occupation of Britain. He is then resurrected using a future life force and the remnants of his skeleton, before being put to battle in a huge colliseum against other fighters from every generation of human existence for big money.

A gladiator Premier League, if you will. There's a whole plot to it but I don't want to mention it really as it becomes clear over the book, i'd spoil it if I mentioned it now.

I'm aiming to write a chapter every three days, so is there anyone who's into those kind of books who'd do me a favour and be a test reader? :)

No payment apart from my thanks of course, that and a pint at PP if ever we bump into each other. Let me know on here anyway, cheers folks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds interesting. I have dabbled with the idea of writing a book of some sort, possibly a collection of short stories...but I never get started so praise to you for that.

I would be willing to give it read. Providing I can find myself some spare time from the uni work I should be doing...I don't really read that sort of thing (though History is my "subject") but if you are desperate.....

No worries trigg, cheers anyway :)

And it's up to you mate, if you can spare the time it'd be much appreciated :) It's not fully edited, so a few sentences will be a little clunky, but it's the general story i'm looking for critique on.

The Epilogue (i'm thinking of going with this as the first chapter and having a different epilogue, not sure yet) is here: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Bonkers4DCFC/647469/

It's all set in a different setting after this, but if you're still interested after that then i'd be much obliged for any help.

Alex, I found this on a tablet of stone outside Pride Park a couple of weeks ago, is it part of your work?...

..Large groups of burberry clad chavs roamed the urban wilderness, intent on causing distress and mayhem on the ordinary, hardworking inhabitants of the pleasant city nestled alongside the river Derwent.

The locals, although intimidated by the sheer numbers of the Sheriff of Snottinghams evil foot soldiers, grouped together, buoyed by their collective courage and willingness to look after each other, took the fight to the dogs, who were known as reds, the long suffering but faithfull folk of ancient Derventia once again proved their mastery of the heathens from the arseend of the lands known as "mid".

As the battle raged, the onlookers who had taken refuge at the home of francois and benedict and also sought solace in the underworld known as "subway", witnessed a fearsome battle as the "ones who wear the badge of the island of stone" were severely kicked to feck by the loyal battalions from the East (stand).

:D

I suggest you use a spell checker for the book as you've spelt Coliseum wrong ;) Good luck with it mate.

Darn typos :p

Thanks for the comments lads, I tried to write a book a while ago and just couldn't keep at it.

Going to try and get this one done properly :)

Uttoxram75, just do what i'm going to do, every three days write a chapter. Might just be an 1-2 hours of writing every three days and within a month you've got a decent amount of it done.

And I do believe that tablet is a snippet from your youth, is it not? :D

Hi alex - just had a quick shufti at your writing and although the genre isn't normally what I'd read, I think you have some talent there :)

One thing I noticed though, a couple of paragraphs in - you started to talk about what he could see in one of your action plots, and then in the next sentence, you talked of something else before coming back to what was happening.

For me, I wouldn't break off in mid description, just keep going with the action of it. Reading it as it is, it kind of broke my concerntration on the developing plot, if you see what I mean.

Another tiny thing, my English teacher at school always taught me to never begin a new sentence with the word "and". I know that not everyone follows this rule though, but maybe use a different connective word?

Other than that, the plot is very well laid out and I do like the names you have used - and I especially liked the describing of the deer and why he didn't like killing them.

It does make you curious as to what happens next and that for me, is a sign of a good book. Keep at it! :)

My plan is to one day write a series of children's bedtime stories but like everything else, I just don't seem to get the time.

Thanks for the feedback, ladyram, it's much appreciated :)

Some bits will be a bit clumsy, as it'll all be edited once it's finished to make it flow better. But thanks for the tip, will make sure to highlight that bit for editing for when I do it.

The 'And' thing I was always told too, but I generally ignored it aslong as I didn't over do it. If it can be changed for the better I definately will though.

You should just start writing it, people always seem to say "I've always wanted to write a book", and even if you only get a few paragraphs down that night it's still a start :)

Archived