Why Porter Snubbed Cardiff

David

New signing Chris Porter has explained why he chose to join Derby County ahead of promotion-chasers Cardiff City.

Derby landed the 25-year-old striker from Motherwell just as he looked set to link up with Cardiff, who sit fourth in the Championship.

Porter said there was only one choice after meeting Rams manager Nigel Clough and being shown around the “superb†facilities at Moor Farm and Pride Park.

“When I came and met the people at Derby and saw the facilities, I was blown away by it all,†he added.

"Everything is superb and the manager is obviously inspiring – I’m sure he is going to turn the place around.

“It is such a big club. Cardiff is a great club as well and they are flying at the minute but you just get a feeling sometimes and I just had a great feeling when I talked to the people at Derby.â€Â

Derby have paid in the region of £400,000 for Porter who will sign a two-and-a-half-year contract. The final paperwork will go through today.

Porter said he was not put off by Derby’s League position compared with Cardiff’s.

“Not at all,†he said. "I think it is too big a club to go down and I don’t think we will.

"When we stay up, things will turn round and we’ll do a lot better next season.

"It has been a whirlwind few days, an exciting few days, but I’m glad it’s all sorted out.

"It is very flattering to have two managers like Nigel Clough and Cardiff boss David Jones interested in you.

“Nigel Clough had a great record at his last club and I think he will do a great job here.â€Â

Porter, who scored 27 goals in 67 appearances for Motherwell, watched Derby beat Coventry City on Saturday to climb out of the relegation places.

He is not eligible for Wednesday’s FA Cup fourth round replay against Nottingham Forest but is for the trip to Plymouth at the weekend.

He is looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Championship.

“Moving from English to Scottish football and the Scottish Premier League was a big challenge but this is a great challenge,†said Porter, who has also played for Bury and Oldham.

"I have wanted to come back and play in England.

"If it had not been now, it would have been in the summer.

"I really enjoyed my time in Scotland and at Motherwell. I had some great experiences, especially against Celtic and Rangers, and playing in front of 60,000.

"I think I am a better player for my time at Motherwell. Mark McGee and Scott Leitch, and the rest of the coaching staff up there were brilliant with me and improved me as a player.

"I’m by no means the finished article, I don’t think any player actually is and I’ll just keep working and trying to score goals for Derby.

“Bury was a great starting place to learn my trade followed by Oldham. Each club I have had has been a gradual step up. Hopefully, this will be the next step for me.â€Â

Former Rams midfielder Bob Malcolm was a team-mate of Porter at Motherwell.

“It all happened so fast, I didn’t really have time to speak to anybody,†said Porter.

“I spoke to Bob before and asked him how it was here and he only had good things to say about the club.â€Â

Porter is Wigan-born and his girlfriend is based in Manchester studying law.

“As I said, there were numerous reasons why I chose Derby and it is a bit closer to home for m,†he said.

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/why-striker-porter-decided-to-join-the-rams]http://therams.co.uk/stories/why-striker-p...o-join-the-rams

Hopefully its true and it's not because we are paying him stupid money

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived