Chris Maquire

davenportram

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were linked to him in January too, only in one report as a throw away comment when they were writing about Sammon. Another case of Clough the Stalker.

But another young player, another U21 international, and another player who's club still wants him. Could be a good signing.

http://dcfcfans.co.uk/threads/5302/#post-127427

Looks like Stimacked was right about him being a summer target too.

Really, really, really hope this comes off, for me this is the kind of signing we need to make.

£400k? Bargain. He might not be as good as Graham but Graham certainly isn't over 5 times better than Maguire, as his transfer fee would suggest.

He isn't 5 times as good Duracell, but Wayne Rooney isn't (say) 20 times as good as Danny Graham either. But he would probably fetch at least 50 million if not more

The issue here is margins. Like in tennis or anything else, the extra 5% that the top players have over people maybe ranked 100 in the world is all it takes for them to ne multi milionnaies and the guy who is ranked 100 to be on 50K a year

Maguire needs to be good enough, and it may be as little as 5% here or there which defines whether he is or he isn't

Agree with you entirely though that where possible we need to be polishing up our own gems rather than paying top dollar for players that other people have polished. The thing with that is there is no sure thing, and we are at the stage where some serious money has to be invested on some 'sure things'

afOQ9j8lcX4

Tek a bow son! I'm happy with this lad signing, looks like he has potential and would be a useful addition. However, he is not proven at this level and I expect us to sign at least 1 or 2 good Championship level strikers this summer.

Do not be fooled by this halfway line effort. The boy is pish. Major attitude problem, got done for vandalising cars etc. 3 of the 12 goals came against a lower league opposition in the Scottish Cup. Only 7 league goals. The 400k we're going to get for this boy is a joke. 300k + Russell Anderson.

I've heard of his attitude problem, but also heard the guy has ability. I am reluctant to judge young players on their past results especially at the age of 21, just seems ridiculous. He is rated by the national coaches and is talked about quite a lot as a promising young player, may not come straight into the first team and be a key player but for if he is a player with potential which even Aberdeen fans will grit their teeth and say he has then 400k is a decent shout, I wouldn't mind us letting Anderson go to Aberdeen either.

He does have a cap, but the cap came when Scotland were 3-0 up in what is pretty much a meaningless competition. He started off very bright when he was younger and everybody thought he was going to be this and that. He is also 22. Suprised Derby are making a move for him. Unless there are already strikers in place or Clough intends to bring in some other striking options. I doubt Maguire has 10 goals in him for Derby. Big Russ back to Pittodrie will do fine.

Think the Aberdeenshire Rams (all three of us) are pretty much in line with Ross on this one. And if Russell does want to head back home there is no doubt that he will get a welcoming reception, however knacked his knees and strings are now.

He does have a cap, but the cap came when Scotland were 3-0 up in what is pretty much a meaningless competition. He started off very bright when he was younger and everybody thought he was going to be this and that. He is also 22. Suprised Derby are making a move for him. Unless there are already strikers in place or Clough intends to bring in some other striking options. I doubt Maguire has 10 goals in him for Derby. Big Russ back to Pittodrie will do fine.

I think that is the plan, we're lacking depth upfront so I know we was on about bringing in 2 or even 3 more strikers in on top of Robinson who has just signed. I know Aberdeen fans really REALLY dislike his attitude but sometimes that happens, I doubt he'll come to a new club and carry the same chip on his shoulder, but then again.. can't guarantee anything!

I think that is the plan, we're lacking depth upfront so I know we was on about bringing in 2 or even 3 more strikers in on top of Robinson who has just signed. I know Aberdeen fans really REALLY dislike his attitude but sometimes that happens, I doubt he'll come to a new club and carry the same chip on his shoulder, but then again.. can't guarantee anything!

Commons anyone?

Archived