Desktop v laptop

Phoenix

Don't know if this is covered earlier, but I'm considering replacing my rather geriatric desk top computer (slow chip, smallish disk, upgraded but still smallish memory, Windows XP, slower than a lame donkey).

Question. Do I get another desktop, or do I get a powerful laptop, similarly spec'd, and stick it on the desk. Ignoring portability, is their anything a desk top computer can do that a laptop can't. A mouse and a printer can now be accessed wirelessly, so I can't see a problem with connectivity.

I use most of the computer's facilities except I don't do gaming, and I also have a (much lower spec'd) laptop which suits my needs when travelling about.

Any views on this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desktops also tend to have a longer lifespan than a laptop. If you're just going to leave it on a desk then I'd say get a desktop, you will get a better spec for the money, if you fancy browsing the net whilst on the toilet get a laptop.

Whilst you get more for your money from a desktop, and you'll get a better performance from similar specs on a desktop, I'd still opt for a laptop.

We've got one of each and I honestly can't remember the last time I actually used my desktop.

The laptop's got a dual core, 4Mbs RAM, and a 1Gb gfx card. Haven't found anything yet that I can't play on it.

One other thing to remember, whatever you get, just make sure the OS isn't Vista, it's sh1te.

Thanks, folks. I'm not sure that Vista's shipped anymore, it seems to be exclusively Windows 7.

Having had a cast round at various specs, I'm not entirely sure that you do get much more bang for your buck with a desktop anymore, maybe the popularity of laptops has brought the relative prices down a bit.

Whilst I like the convenience (like the pun?) of my laptop, the problem is that I'm in the process of archiving my old vinyl LP collection through a program called 'Clean' and dumping them on to CDs.

I'm not sure that I've come across a line-in socket on a laptop (and the mike socket doesn't do the trick) unless any of you know something to the contrary. My current desktop is really painfully slow doing the cleanup stuff (and everything else). Moreover, I dont really want to buy a new tuntable/amplifier just to get a USB input plug. Maybe there's a converter.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Decisions, decisions!

Archived