PS3 or Xbox 360?

Hartley Hare

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too late, already got a Wii, that's the "family" console, though in truth my lad uses it mostly. Thinking of a console for my lads room, hoping to put an end to the constant "No you can't play on the Wii 'cos I want to watch I'm A Celebrity/X Factor/Anything I choose as long as you don't get to play on the Wii!" type of discussions. I should've been a hostage negotiator, not a software developer....

What games are you looking to play?

I'm not - it's for my lad. He'll play almost owt. He likes things likeFIFA/PES, Madden (although he's got that on Wii), Half-Life/Orange Box, Bioshock, Supreme Commander on PC, but I'm trying to get him off the PC for gaming so I don't have to keep upgrading it to keep up with game specs. He also wants to not have games on PC so that he can better segregate his time - laptop for college work, console for leisure.

Times being as they are, I'm maybe going to see if I can get a pre-owned from Game or somewhere. Or new if there's not much price difference.

I'm not - it's for my lad. He'll play almost owt. He likes things likeFIFA/PES, Madden (although he's got that on Wii), Half-Life/Orange Box, Bioshock, Supreme Commander on PC, but I'm trying to get him off the PC for gaming so I don't have to keep upgrading it to keep up with game specs. He also wants to not have games on PC so that he can better segregate his time - laptop for college work, console for leisure.

Times being as they are, I'm maybe going to see if I can get a pre-owned from Game or somewhere. Or new if there's not much price difference.

I know that Game Station were doing very good offers on pre-owned PS3s at one point.

I'm edging away from Boycie :D

I think the newer Xbox 360's have wifi too? And access to online content like iPlayer, etc?

I was thinking that the blu-ray would swing it towards PS3 for me, but he might never use it since we don't have any other blu-ray players in the house at the mo' (so we wouldn't be looking to buy any blu-ray discs for some time).

Given that he'll likely only be using it for gaming, is the PS3 that much better than the Xbox to make it worth the extra wonga? Or is anyone going to speak up for the Xbox?

They both have some exclusive games to the console, so maybe ask him if there are any particular console games that he'd be looking forward too.

The PS3 is the better machine, but the 360 I think is far more fun to play online, with better controllers. Almost every game is on both platforms anyway, with the odd exception.

The 360 has alot of problems though, so expect it to break down at some point. A plus side to the PS3 is that you can cook bacon on it (That's actually true) so food = games might sway you that way.

I'd say the 360 was the better package, but that comes with a few issues (paying for online, danger of it breaking etc)

PS3, while being a good machine, isn't as fun online for some reason. Plus the 'Trophy' aspect they copied from Microsofts version is awful in comparison with the achievements system on the 360.

It's all relative to what kind of games he plays of course, but by the sounds of it from what you listed the 360 is the way to go.

Just had a quick browse for you....

The best bundle deal I could find was on Amazon.

For £279 you get:

PS3 320GB Slim Console

Gran Turismo 5 Collector's Edition

2M HDMI Cable

Gioteck Real Triggers

Fifa 11 or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part one or Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit or Sims 3 or Fallout: New Vegas or Medal Of Honor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_157814307_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000457153&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19NMGWE9WQD3RX2J3RBV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=220233047&pf_rd_i=506846

For the same price you can get a similar bundle but with the normal version of Gran Turismo 5, this one you get the Collector's Edition.

Your choice at the end of the day, for the choice of games at the bottom I'd go for the Harry Potter game myself as that is a relatively new release then get Fifa11 seperately as you can get that on amazon for £25 anyway compared to £35 for Harry Potter.

get an Atari.Theyre dead good at shooting people games,like Dads Army old ops and Dambusters,medals of honour.

Not a bad effort there Dangerous.

I liked the Atari Empire strikes back, shooting down then 4 legged walking things. Arh, old school.

The new 360 slim has built-in wifi. You also get Sky Player on Live if you're a Sky subscriber.

It depends on a number of factors as to which console to get;

Is it intended just for gaming or as a wider media centre?

Is it intended to play online as well as offline?

What machine do the majority of his mates have?

If the emphasis is on a media centre then PS3. If it's more for online play then it's a 360. If it doesn't really matter about any of that then just get the cheapest.

Also worth checking the range of exclusive games per console - Sony have some great titles for the PS3, but the 360 has the Halo series, Gears of War, Forza etc.

I've got both consoles, anyone saying that either is 'just better' than the other is talking out of their @rse, and you may disregard their 'opinion' accordingly.... ;)

Archived