Army

xXDcFcXx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very nearly went, I had the interview about it and only decided not to go a few days before I was due to sign the forms.

It's a huge decision to take, so talk to your family and only do it if you really want to go. If you're thinking "Might as well go, nothing else on", then don't go as your heart won't be in it. Go to your careers officer, talk to them, talk to the army themselves, they're very helpful with it all.

Like I said, it's a big decision, so talk to your family and the army and see if it's something you'd actually want to do.

I'm in my first year of college and I've had this thing in my head that is telling me to join the army after college. Anyone here been in the army for a bit? What is it like if you have?

I dont know how old you are but the Army Cadet Force could be a good way of getting experience in the Army structure - its not part of the army and you can't be called up for service by being a member, could be worth looking at this website

http://www.armycadets.com/join/instructors/qa/

Dav used to be in the TA until he moved to Bournemouth for 18months of training for a new job (thankfully for me he got discharged from the reserve list the day we went into Iraq so now cant get called up). That could be another option, and you get paid for it too. But bear in mind the TA route means you could be called up at any time and sent to War.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/benefits/pay/pages/territorialarmy%28ta%29.aspx

Not trying to scare you or anything but hope the above helps

I have the upmost respect for anyone in the army but I wouldn't want to be abused by government and sent in an unnecessary war as cannon fodder.

It's tragic that this is what it has become.

How many wars are actually 'just' though?

A soldier fights because he is paid to do so. There are very few real causes to go to war, yet it happens constantly. If we weren't there, we'd be somewhere else, not in the same capacity but we'd be peacekeeping in Africa or something like that.

How many wars are actually 'just' though?

A soldier fights because he is paid to do so. There are very few real causes to go to war, yet it happens constantly. If we weren't there, we'd be somewhere else, not in the same capacity but we'd be peacekeeping in Africa or something like that.

Totally true. But if we were peacekeeping in Africa we wouldn't be hearing about soldier's deaths on a regular basis, because the people in charge had underestimated the danger of the opposition they are fighting.

It would be better if the government was non-interventionist and we had a well trained army just there in case rather than fighting whatever American fights for the sake of keeping a special relationship in tact.

Totally true. But if we were peacekeeping in Africa we wouldn't be hearing about soldier's deaths on a regular basis, because the people in charge had underestimated the danger of the opposition they are fighting.

It would be better if the government was non-interventionist and we had a well trained army just there in case rather than fighting whatever American fights for the sake of keeping a special relationship in tact.

True, unfortunately the world is, for lack of a better term, 'fecked' in this regard.

We'll always be fighting, somewhere or other. Just depends where and what type of combat is involved. A soldier is a soldier because he wants to be, i'm not sure they care where their government sends them for the most part.

Make sure to think about what part of the army you'd like to go into if you want to do it.

Guess Iv got a lot of time to think about it lol. If I go to Uni then I have no idea what to do after for a career. I cant even find a part time job now :frown:

Guess Iv got a lot of time to think about it lol. If I go to Uni then I have no idea what to do after for a career. I cant even find a part time job now :frown:

What kind of a career would you enjoy? That's the best thing to go for.

I feel my nephew is being pushed into joining the army. His family are always telling him how much money he will make, and not be spending etc. it upsets me. I have the feeling, he doesn't want to, but he will to make everyone happy. :mad:

I feel my nephew is being pushed into joining the army. His family are always telling him how much money he will make, and not be spending etc. it upsets me. I have the feeling, he doesn't want to, but he will to make everyone happy. :mad:

Ah Mrs, that can't be right can it? The poor lad!

Always wanted to join up but asthma stopped that.

I think its a good career choice but only for the right reasons, if you have any doubts then it may not be for you. Its not just a career but a lifestyle.

Best thing to do is go to army careers and have a chat with them. Also try getting up every morning and going for a run come rain or shine. If you do go ahead it will be a good habbit to get into.

Archived