Best Derby County signing

Curtains

Maybe not be the flashiest and maybe not truly the best but I think Forsyth deserves an honourable mention. The amount we've got out of a player we signed for pennies, been through all the turbulence we've had in the last few years, who seems like he's going to get nudged out of the side every few years before finding his way back in is all pretty remarkable.

On 23/09/2024 at 08:45, Curtains said:

Alan Biley was some player 

Signed from Cambridge 

IMG_0211.jpeg

I recall him hobbling about, toe-poking the ball from a standing position, in one game, due to injury.  All to ensure we didn't finish the game with 10 men (as subs were already done... I assume it was still only one sub back then?)

It was like watching a Gladiator refusing to fall and die.  

What a hero.  What a legend!   🐏

On 23/09/2024 at 12:50, Macintosh said:

John 'Jack' Nicholas. Signed from Swansea in 1926. Only skipper to have lifted the cup, managed the team in the war years and as a caretaker manager in the 1950s. 21 years with us as a player, 31 in total. Our chief scout until 1957. His dad was also a star player here for seven years before the First World War.

Trying to get my head round this...

So a player/captain post war (1946), but the manager during the war (before the cup win, obvs!)?  I assume player/manager then? 🤷‍♂️

Wiki shows him as a (senior) player from 1928-'47, and manager during that period ('42-'44), but doesn't specifically mention player/manager anywhere.

🤷‍♂️

On 23/09/2024 at 16:18, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

There have been so many players in my lifetime, but the one that really stands out to me as a signing that just made sense at the time and worked out perfectly is Przemysław Kaźmierczak.

On 23/09/2024 at 17:58, RodleyRam said:

Have you included this just to demonstrate your fluency in Polish? Because I thought that Kamil Jan Jóźwiak was a better signing personally...

I'd have gone for Tomasz Cywka, of all those from Poland... or wherever it is they came from!  👀

*No members of the Clough family were harmed in the production of this post.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

So a player/captain post war (1946), but the manager during the war (before the cup win, obvs!)?  I assume player/manager then? 🤷‍♂️

Wiki shows him as a (senior) player from 1928-'47, and manager during that period ('42-'44), but doesn't specifically mention player/manager anywhere.

🤷‍♂️

The complete record lists him as acting player- manager 1942 to March 1944.

Between 1931 and 1939 he played in 328 out of a possible 331 league games, probably didn’t even know what a metatarsal was😂

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I recall him hobbling about, toe-poking the ball from a standing position, in one game, due to injury.  All to ensure we didn't finish the game with 10 men (as subs were already done... I assume it was still only one sub back then?)

It was like watching a Gladiator refusing to fall and die.  

What a hero.  What a legend!   🐏

I remember that game, the majority of the crowd booing him to get off the pitch, him hopping on one leg and getting in the way of all the other players. It became a pantomime. 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

🤷‍♂️

He played in the first games Derby participated in during the war, the matches in aid of the Mayor of Derby War Fund and Matches in aid of Derby Civil Defence Benevolent Fund, in 1941-42. These were against the Czechoslovakian Armed Forces, Anti-Aircraft Command, the Belgium Army, the RAF, an Army XI. Guests appeared in our side from other clubs, many were working at Rolls-Royce. Our manager George Jobey was then suspended permanently by the FA for illegal bonuses, along with five directors in 1941. From 1942-43 clubs started playing proper games. We were in the Football League North and War Cups without a manager. Nicolas played in most of those so would be as a player/manager. In March 1944 Ted Magner took over as manager and Nicholas continued as just a player. There was a game in 1944 away at Barnsley, wartime travel meant that regular goalkeeper Frank Boulton was stranded in Birmingham. Reserve keeper Vanham was sent for but didn't get to Derby Bus Station in time. Who went in goal, Jack Nicholson. We lost 2-0. Tommy Powell was first seen in a Derby shirt in this period, dad of Steve.

46 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Best signings of the 80s 

Davison Williams Gregory Callaghan Micklewhite Forsyth 

Wright, Saunders, McMinn, Gee, Hindmarch?  Rob Hindmarch came on a free transfer and played for us right through the divisions. Phil Gee came from non league and scored loads of the goals that got us promoted

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

I remember that game, the majority of the crowd booing him to get off the pitch, him hopping on one leg and getting in the way of all the other players. It became a pantomime. 

Ha!  So true!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the last 5 minutes or so either.  If I had to guess, it must have been a good 20+mins?  I do have a rubbish memory though, so stand to be corrected.
I certainly don't recall the opponents and/or the score!  🤷‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ha!  So true!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the last 5 minutes or so either.  If I had to guess, it must have been a good 20+mins?  I do have a rubbish memory though, so stand to be corrected.
I certainly don't recall the opponents and/or the score!  🤷‍♂️

I think it was against Orient (1-1) and he never played for us again if my memory is right (often isn't), except in a pre-season friendly, moving on to Everton and eventually finding his scoring boots later at Portsmouth. Replaced in the team by Kevin Wilson.