Sequel prequel..

Chester40

@Crewton inspired me so blame him.

What prequels/sequels...or call backs, redux, rebirth , even re-do overs etc worked, were an improvement or died on their arses?

Obviously I'm thinking film franchises  .. but could be Queen without Freddie, Marathon to Snickers (and briefly back again this year I hear)... could even be the Premier League revolution!

I'm saying (Alien to) Aliens - great film. 

Terminator 2.

Star Wars should have stopped at the 'first' 3.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

@Crewton inspired me so blame him.

What prequels/sequels...or call backs, redux, rebirth , even re-do overs etc worked, were an improvement or died on their arses?

Obviously I'm thinking film franchises  .. but could be Queen without Freddie, Marathon to Snickers (and briefly back again this year I hear)... could even be the Premier League revolution!

I'm saying (Alien to) Aliens - great film. 

Terminator 2.

Star Wars should have stopped at the 'first' 3.

I agree with those, other than I can't judge Star Wars because (yes, it's true) INSSW!

I loved the original Star Trek, but never got into the sequel (it just didn't fit into my lifestyle at the time) but I've enjoyed all the films.

I thought Rock and Chips (the prequel to OFAH) was under-rated - for me, it worked. The follow-up sitcom with Boycie and Marlene moving to the countryside didn't really work.

Remakes of classic films - we could be here a long time.

Terminator 2 is the best of them all isn’t it? What a film. 
Also Mad Max reboot I think is better. 
Die Hard 3 edges out Die Hard. Love em all though. 
The Batman franchise with Christian Bale is the best. And even within that the second movie is best. 
I wonder if we’ll be adding Gladiator 2 to the list…. Pfft 

Can we include The Hobbit > Lord of The Rings books? 

Crystal Maze. Richard Ayoade makes everything better. 
I prefer the new Gladiators with Bradley Walsh 

I can’t think of any music I like where the face of a group has left and I like the group better since. That’s a tough one? 

Just now, Alph said:

Terminator 2 is the best of them all isn’t it? What a film. 
Also Mad Max reboot I think is better. 
Die Hard 3 edges out Die Hard. Love em all though. 
The Batman franchise with Christian Bale is the best. And even within that the second movie is best. 
I wonder if we’ll be adding Gladiator 2 to the list…. Pfft 

Can we include The Hobbit > Lord of The Rings books? 

Crystal Maze. Richard Ayoade makes everything better. 
I prefer the new Gladiators with Bradley Walsh 

I can’t think of any music I like where the face of a group has left and I like the group better since. That’s a tough one? 

I was with you     .. then Bradley Walsh???

His son makes my toes curl.

I generally don’t like prequels because of the lack of jeopardy if the same characters are involved. 

It’s why in my mind the Star Wars Solo film didn’t work but Rogue One definitely did. 

I don’t like the Star Trek re-boots because they’ve just re-written the timeline and of course JJ bloody Abram’s storytelling and fascination with lens flare🙄

Just now, Day said:

Always remember the wife telling me there is a sequel to Titanic coming out. I politely asked where she had heard such information. Facebook came the answer.

My next question, which I found much harder to stifle my laughter, what happened in the original film?

”It sank”

Exactly.

If anyon says they hate the sequel to their first marriage... that's a massive worry. 

What’s the story morning glory?

Godfather part 2

Desperado (that’s a good one, cos it’s kind of a remake, but kind of a sequel to El Mariachi, basically Robert Rodriguez got a bit of money behind him and wanted to remake his first, no budget film, which is exactly what remakes should be for. But he did it in a way that it works as a sequel). 

they did a weird for word, shot for shot remake of psycho once. What’s the point? If a film is already 5 out of 5 stars, and modern technology couldn’t possibly improve it, then, just, why?

if a film had a great concept, big just looked a bit shonky or was badly directed or ruined by the studio or something, that’s when a remake can be justified.