The Nat Phillips signing...

MadAmster

38 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

After that performance and result at the weekend, if Paul tries anything different from that formation in his next game he should be sacked on the spot and be banished from football for life.

I don't see how he can change it, we have constantly looked awful when we try his 3 at the back.

Agree in essence but if any of the starting XI from the Bristol game isn't fit to play, it might not be simply a case of replacing that one player. Ozoh out, Osborn in, for instance, isn't a like for like swap and that change might persuade any coach that if they're forced into one change, to get the best out of the incoming player, he might believe he has to change one or two more.

Look at the right back position. On paper we have Nyambe, Ward and Wilson. The latter 2 are pretty much interchangeable but Nyambe is a different kind of full back to the two W's. If Nyambe is injured and you want to keep the RB role defensive, you may well go for Nelson there with Phillips or Bradley taking his place in the centre. Might you then think of replacing one of the midfielders with a wing back? 

He will certainly move to a back 3 eventually. None of our cbs are bench warmers, and you never rotate centre backs, the same ones tend to play every minute of every game.

Arguably our best run of form last season was the promotion run in, and that was when the back three seemed to click.

The confusing part for me is will we drop Jackson or NML, as I can’t see us playing with two centre mids, and also where does that leave Harness?

It feels like a 352 would suit us, but then we have NML, Jackson and Harness all competing for the free role just off of Yates.

Something like this would look good to me away from home against tougher teams.            

Zetterstrom

Nelson Phillips Cashin

Nyambe                                 Osborn

Ozoh       Adams

Kenzo

Jackson        Yates

14 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We won't play with wing backs, we will play 3-4-3 when we play 3 at the back

I think there's definite potential in that formation, the only thing I would wonder about is the 2 cms. Would it mean dropping Kenzo perhaps? With just 2 cms, it certainly seems more likely to have Ozoh and Ebou in there. 

I'd be tempted to have Osborne on the left rather than Elder for his composure in possession and his extra creativity. With either of Ward/Wilson on the other side it is good to have a few options! The pacey forwards at our disposal in the 3 would give the midfielders options to feed.

I certainly wouldn't expect us to move away from the same team as Bristol for the Cardiff match, but there's some tough ones coming up with Sheff utd and sunderland away, where we may want to do something different. That team looks potentially solid and set up well for counter attacks

26 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We won't play with wing backs, we will play 3-4-3 when we play 3 at the back

It’s still wing backs, you’re asking the wider two players of the four to cover defensively.

i don’t think we’re good enough technically to move the ball quickly when playing a back three/five. Ends up with half the team being defenders and then a midfielder drops deep. Leaves with no midfield and struggle to move the ball up the pitch.

PW in the DET 

"That's what I said to him. You can play, there will be loads of defending for you and you won't be unemployed, guaranteed. We will get you to score goals and you don't know where that will take you next summer.

"I think he brings a bit of calm and he will enable me to play three when I want to with two up top. That is what I will do."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-nat-phillips-9532505

6 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

PW in the DET 

"That's what I said to him. You can play, there will be loads of defending for you and you won't be unemployed, guaranteed. We will get you to score goals and you don't know where that will take you next summer.

"I think he brings a bit of calm and he will enable me to play three when I want to with two up top. That is what I will do."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-nat-phillips-9532505

"When I want" being the key bit of that I think. We shouldn't be trying to force a system on the team if it's not the best way to get results. Horses for courses and all that.

Phillips we are talking about has a CB which he primarily is but he has also played a number of games for Liverpool at right back and defensive midfield.So he covers more than one area and gives us numerous options 

We’ll probably switch between 3 and 4 at the back when needed. I suspect we’ll stick to 4 in the next game. 

I also expect Phillips to displace Nelson if that’s the case going forward, given he is more right sided. That might not be a popular choice given the accolades he got last year and how good he was, but we have to be ruthless. We’ve gone up a division and no one is undroppable. 

I also expect the same situation with NML and Harness.

On 05/09/2024 at 11:05, Ram-Alf said:

Like I said with JWZ you don't go hunting for your prey only to sit him on the bench, Liverpool will have let it be known...you want him you play him, I can only see a 3 at the back.

Now the issue will be...who plays wide left and right, Who plays in the middle? will Harness start...if so who drops out...PW must be licking his lips knowing that we have real competition...for once. 

You say that, but with him being in the last year of his contract, with the freedom to speak to perspective new clubs in January, will they be that annoyed if their 6th choice centre half is getting decent minutes??  I can't see them kicking up too much of a fuss unless we don't pay fees/wages.  More likely is that he asked to come to us to put himself in the shop window, ether for us or another team to make him an offer...

23 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

You say that, but with him being in the last year of his contract, with the freedom to speak to perspective new clubs in January, will they be that annoyed if their 6th choice centre half is getting decent minutes??  I can't see them kicking up too much of a fuss unless we don't pay fees/wages.  More likely is that he asked to come to us to put himself in the shop window, ether for us or another team to make him an offer...

I think Liverpool will be less desperate for him to start with him being 27, than they would if it was a teenager who had lots of room for development. I wouldn't have been overly surprised if it was to put him in the shop window to sell him on during January transfer window or to offload part of his wages.

On 05/09/2024 at 12:23, jimbobram said:

We should not be trying to accommodate loan players no matter who they are. They need to work hard to push the others out, and only then should they put into the team. I don't think we should change a shape we saw work really well, just to try and fit someone in. The formation we have played so far will work as long as the midfielders push on and support the striker like they did against Bristol city. 

Not sure I agree. First of all part of team selection will be down to who we are playing and countering specific strengths they might be perceived to have. There will always be shuffling and tweaking to best counter an opponent.  Then, leaving that element out of it; we should be aiming to arrive at a system that enables us to use the maximum number of our best players in their best positions, most effectively. Doesn’t matter if ours or loaned. 4411/352/4231 meh 

Put out the best team of the day, don’t get into inflexible dogmas of any system. Be flexible, have plans A/1 A/2 and A/3

Well at least that’s how I see it 🙂

On 08/09/2024 at 11:29, ramsbottom said:

Think you are right . He has only played 19 games in 5 years for Liverpool. ( many as sub ) . If he wants a new club next year - he has to perform . 

On 05/09/2024 at 11:15, Macintosh said:

The conclusion must be that we can attack and attack well, and the division is not any stronger now than it was before our relegation, forget that myth. I can't remember us ever having better tacklers at our club. Nyambe as a right-back is terrific and rarely does not come out with the ball, Elder wins more than his fair share. In central defence, we rarely get overrun, outjumped or outfought. The midfield pairing of Adams and Ozoh wins a tremendous amount of second balls and have wonderful energy and determination. The wingers of Mendez-Laing and Jackson do so much tracking back. That's our strength, and few, if any, will be able to match it. I'd prefer us to only revert to three at the back when the game is won, the extra player is for security, not formation.

100% 

Well said. We should keep our current shape and not just throw that out for the signing of one player. Phillips will have to out perform Nelson or Cashin to take his place...

19 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

100% 

Well said. We should keep our current shape and not just throw that out for the signing of one player. Phillips will have to out perform Nelson or Cashin to take his place...

I agree sort of, but then how can he be seen to perform unless he is playing ? I am not sure because I lack the detailed knowledge about left of 3 right of 3 or centre but if it is 3 I’d suggest it is those 3 as potentially the best trio - if we are playing 3 at the back