The Nat Phillips signing...

MadAmster

... is this a prelude to PW reverting to his favoured 3 at the back?

Nat is thought to be an excellent CH, Nels is playing as well as he was last season, Cash is back to his best. Those 3 to start?

It would not surprise me but I would be concerned as we look better with a 4 than a 3, IMO.

Don’t think I’ve been as excited by the signing of a defender for many a year. Full credit to PW and the recruitment team. Also DC as I don’t think Phillips will have come cheap. Can see us alternating between 3 and 4 at the back as the situation requires. No disrespect to Sonny but I’m quite relieved to know we most probably won’t be turning to him too often when we go with a 3. As for going with a 4, rather PW than me to make that decision of who to leave out from Nels, Cash and Phillips.

All of a sudden, with everyone fit we have in my opinion quite a strong squad. Power and pace yes, but also no shortage of skill. I'm finding it very hard to pick our best eleven which means we will have a strong bench. I will be very interested to see our line up against Cardiff.

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

I’d imagine we will revert to a back three when away to teams in the top half, I also think we should play a back three if we can’t play Ozoh and Ebou. If we are without Ozoh or Ebou for a game we will be very exposed if we play a back four as we seen against Blackburn and Middlesbrough with How deep we go. 

That would leave Kenzo in midfield with one of Ebou or Ozoh beside him and Wilson and Elder or Osborn at wing back. Which is a well good enough midfield to compete. 

Warne said he wanted to sign better players than his best players. So wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him drop Nels for Phillips, at some stage. The mood before the Bristol game was foul, 1 win changed that completely. Lose 2-0 to Cardiff next Saturday and it can easily go back the other way, with a raft of changes, 1 of which could be a shift to the the inevitable 352. Certainly got the players for it now (at long last) One things for sure - these options are nice options to finally have 

We should not be trying to accommodate loan players no matter who they are. They need to work hard to push the others out, and only then should they put into the team. I don't think we should change a shape we saw work really well, just to try and fit someone in. The formation we have played so far will work as long as the midfielders push on and support the striker like they did against Bristol city. 

42 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Warne said he wanted to sign better players than his best players. So wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him drop Nels for Phillips, at some stage. The mood before the Bristol game was foul, 1 win changed that completely. Lose 2-0 to Cardiff next Saturday and it can easily go back the other way, with a raft of changes, 1 of which could be a shift to the the inevitable 352. Certainly got the players for it now (at long last) One things for sure - these options are nice options to finally have 

The mood was foul on here. It was pretty solid at my work, optimistic in the pubs, and pretty much electric after the ground, even first 20. IMO.

How brilliant to have a strong area of the team where we might be able to improve further. Been a while since it wasn't about just shoring up weaknesses.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Nat is thought to be an excellent CH, Nels is playing as well as he was last season, Cash is back to his best. Those 3 to start?

It would not surprise me but I would be concerned as we look better with a 4 than a 3, IMO.

The way we played against Bristol should be the blueprint unless we are against a team so obviously better than us it would be suicide. I'd be annoyed if we pulled out a performance like that then instantly changed systems.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Like I said with JWZ you don't go hunting for your prey only to sit him on the bench, Liverpool will have let it be known...you want him you play him, I can only see a 3 at the back.

Now the issue will be...who plays wide left and right, Who plays in the middle? will Harness start...if so who drops out...PW must be licking his lips knowing that we have real competition...for once. 

The conclusion must be that we can attack and attack well, and the division is not any stronger now than it was before our relegation, forget that myth. I can't remember us ever having better tacklers at our club. Nyambe as a right-back is terrific and rarely does not come out with the ball, Elder wins more than his fair share. In central defence, we rarely get overrun, outjumped or outfought. The midfield pairing of Adams and Ozoh wins a tremendous amount of second balls and have wonderful energy and determination. The wingers of Mendez-Laing and Jackson do so much tracking back. That's our strength, and few, if any, will be able to match it. I'd prefer us to only revert to three at the back when the game is won, the extra player is for security, not formation.

3 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

Nels got done for pace early on Saturday and we were saved by Zetterstroms excellent double save.

Cash doesn't have pace either.

Nat Phillips could in theory displace either.

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nels got done for pace early on Saturday and we were saved by Zetterstroms excellent double save.

Cash doesn't have pace either.

Nat Phillips could in theory displace either.

Neither does Phillips. He brings a lot of things, but pace is definitely not one of them.

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

We should not be trying to accommodate loan players no matter who they are. They need to work hard to push the others out, and only then should they put into the team. I don't think we should change a shape we saw work really well, just to try and fit someone in. The formation we have played so far will work as long as the midfielders push on and support the striker like they did against Bristol city. 

All players new to the squad need to earn a starting place and we shouldn't differentiate between loan and permanent signings. I wouldn't change the starting eleven against Cardiff - it would send the wrong message to anyone dropped from the Bristol City match.

14 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Neither does Phillips. He brings a lot of things, but pace is definitely not one of them.

He has a huge stride though which can be a big advantage in defensive situations.

4 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

The mood will depend, if we lose but go down fighting, we will still be behind the team. If we go down faffing about like we did at Barrow, the only reason e will be behind the team is to give them a right good kick up the backside.

5 hours ago, MadAmster said:

After that performance and result at the weekend, if Paul tries anything different from that formation in his next game he should be sacked on the spot and be banished from football for life.

I don't see how he can change it, we have constantly looked awful when we try his 3 at the back.