Jerry Yates

43 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It's Tw(h)ine - he's complaining about NML making a run across the 'keeper, in spite of there being a City defender playing everyone onside.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 11.59.35.png

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It's Tw(h)ine - he's complaining about NML making a run across the 'keeper, in spite of there being a City defender playing everyone onside.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 11.59.35.png

There's a better view from one of the Bristol City vloggers. There's about 3 defenders playing him onside.

Here's the moment NML ducks/heads for the shot. The linesman is bang in line with #14, with #12 also slightly behind NML.image.thumb.png.171d067c545931e00c4baff477659f4f.png

But obviously the above is irrelevant as the offside will be from when Jackson kicks the ball. NML is in line with the two defenders he's between and has #12 and #14 playing him yards onside. The linesman again in perfect position in line with the furthest defender #14.

image.thumb.png.031ce6d877d483bbb8f1653d5fee3496.png

Similiarly with the Yates/Cashin double effort, Yates is well onside despite the vlogger being adamant he was off. It was the third follow up that offside. There's a deflection on the ball through to Yates, so a debate over if we're counting from Elder's shot or the deflection. Either way, he's onside.

Elder's shot, Yates in the middle of the cluster of Bristol players:

image.thumb.png.64be0d07ecd6f86a6c2dfd0a473c3095.png

Or the deflection through to Yates, with him still played on by two defenders;

image.thumb.png.43154790d93c5bc28929e992010b7bc3.png

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k48TOH9cCc

Twine is just a grade A whinge bags.

On 01/09/2024 at 05:45, DCFC1388 said:

Yates showed that he is more than capable of leading the line. Some of his touches were class, the understanding between him and the likes of NML & Jackson will only get better with time too.

He will bag his first goal vs Cardiff with him being an ex Swansea player. He will get 10-15 goals for us this season.

I think not only that but the players close to him will also score a bunch. It's not surprising that Jackson scored, NML hit the post and Goudmijn could have had a hat trick.

On 01/09/2024 at 21:48, May Contain Nuts said:

Continuing what I saw from him pre-season. A far more capable footballer than many would have realised with some good link up play, quick enough and has all the right instincts in front of goal to score double figures with relative ease should he get the chance.

I'm simply not sure what Swansea were doing to him for their fans to think he was crap, unless they wanted him to play as an (aerial-centric) target man.

It could easily be a case of trying to get him to do something he's not good at or by not playing to his strengths. It'd be easy to look at him at a glance and see 'small mobile striker' and think poacher or at the very least somebody solely you want to play in behind and pair him with a target man. When in actuality his biggest strength looks to be his link up play and his awareness of how to drift into pockets of space between lines. And I suspect based on how he plays that he's likely better on his own than in a two. Tactically think about him more like a false 9 and I think you start to see him shine. 

Get the ball into his feet, get people close to him and get people running off him.

I’m currently working in south wales and was talking to a Swansea fan yesterday about Yates.

He said he was crap, but then added, “mind you, we didn’t play him too his strengths. We’re all tippy tappy.”

I think Yates is maybe an instinctive striker who can react quick, but if he has too much time to think maybe it’s a different game?

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

I’m currently working in south wales and was talking to a Swansea fan yesterday about Yates.

He said he was crap, but then added, “mind you, we didn’t play him too his strengths. We’re all tippy tappy.”

I think Yates is maybe an instinctive striker who can react quick, but if he has too much time to think maybe it’s a different game?

See that surprises me based on what we've seen. He looks like he'd be good if your are involving in the short passing game. Sometimes though with teams like that though they don't want their striker involved in the build up play at all and wanting them just sitting waiting to get released. 

Actually taking a look at it there is something interesting that I think gets at what might be going on. His goal record for Swansea is actually not too bad 8 in 24, what's interesting though is average number of passes. So far for us he's averaging 14.9 per 90 mins (and consider that's supressed by the Watford game) and in his best seasons at Blackpool he's averaged 18.1 and 19.3 whereas at Swansea it's only 11.2.  It does loosely suggest that at Swansea they weren't playing to get him on the ball as much as when he performs well especially when you consider that Swansea are likely to have had a bigger share of the possession than Blackpool and us.

17 hours ago, brady1993 said:

See that surprises me based on what we've seen. He looks like he'd be good if your are involving in the short passing game. Sometimes though with teams like that though they don't want their striker involved in the build up play at all and wanting them just sitting waiting to get released. 

Actually taking a look at it there is something interesting that I think gets at what might be going on. His goal record for Swansea is actually not too bad 8 in 24, what's interesting though is average number of passes. So far for us he's averaging 14.9 per 90 mins (and consider that's supressed by the Watford game) and in his best seasons at Blackpool he's averaged 18.1 and 19.3 whereas at Swansea it's only 11.2.  It does loosely suggest that at Swansea they weren't playing to get him on the ball as much as when he performs well especially when you consider that Swansea are likely to have had a bigger share of the possession than Blackpool and us.

Probably meant they’d lost possession before they tippy tapped it anywhere near him.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Probably meant they’d lost possession before they tippy tapped it anywhere near him.

Not necessarily, those stats are for the amount of passes he made not the amount of passes to him, maybe Swansea were relying on him to finish attacks more than Blackpool or Derby?

20 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Probably enjoys a more fast paced game where he can run the channels, come short, get in behind etc. He seems an all-action type of player, so if you’re more methodical and slow in your build up it likely stifles him a bit. 

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Probably enjoys a more fast paced game where he can run the channels, come short, get in behind etc. He seems an all-action type of player, so if you’re more methodical and slow in your build up it likely stifles him a bit. 

That’s what I felt in that friendly against Real. He passed / moved / darted in to spaces and his touch looked comfortable. Thought then, this lad will score goals or be a a real catalyst.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the little I've seen of Yates so far. Actually think it might have been a blessing that we didn't get a big heavy target striker because now we suddenly feel more unpredictable in the final third. So with Yates we look more exciting as he seems to have speed in both head and legs!

Agreed…. But just like with Collo last season we are one injury away from a crisis with Yates….

Such a shame we couldn’t offload Wash….

I really hope our lack of acquiring a good additional centre forward dor the third window running doesn’t come back to really bite us…

22 hours ago, ram59 said:

Not necessarily, those stats are for the amount of passes he made not the amount of passes to him, maybe Swansea were relying on him to finish attacks more than Blackpool or Derby?

I’m not sure, to be honest I was only talking to him as I wanted him to make me a cup of tea.