Jerry Yates

Yates showed that he is more than capable of leading the line. Some of his touches were class, the understanding between him and the likes of NML & Jackson will only get better with time too.

He will bag his first goal vs Cardiff with him being an ex Swansea player. He will get 10-15 goals for us this season.

Edited by DCFC1388

Couldn't make it to the game but just from the highlights a few things stood our with Yates:

1st goal he was so alert and following in the shot by Goudmijn, ready for a rebound if needed.

2nd goal was a quality touch to set up Jackson. I've pulled out a lot of hair over the years when our throw-ins were just casually volleyed back at the thrower and went out of play. The touch and awareness was excellent.

His positioning was great for the shot that hit the post, controlled a tricky ball and very unlucky not to score. Good confidence to take it on his left foot too! 

Lots of positives to build on!

Continuing what I saw from him pre-season. A far more capable footballer than many would have realised with some good link up play, quick enough and has all the right instincts in front of goal to score double figures with relative ease should he get the chance.

I'm simply not sure what Swansea were doing to him for their fans to think he was crap, unless they wanted him to play as an (aerial-centric) target man.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

5 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Couldn't make it to the game but just from the highlights a few things stood our with Yates:

1st goal he was so alert and following in the shot by Goudmijn, ready for a rebound if needed.

2nd goal was a quality touch to set up Jackson. I've pulled out a lot of hair over the years when our throw-ins were just casually volleyed back at the thrower and went out of play. The touch and awareness was excellent.

His positioning was great for the shot that hit the post, controlled a tricky ball and very unlucky not to score. Good confidence to take it on his left foot too! 

Lots of positives to build on!

Watched the goals back and pretty sure is a Bristol defender going crazy about Yates being offside. Was straight from the throw wasn’t it?

When you consider how difficult the striker market was, to get Yates with not much of a fanfare surprised me. He was far beyond what I expected. He was an excellent player for Blackpool in all phases, 74 goal involvements in the last 4 years with three club top goalscorer awards AND 2 player of the year awards. 

He didn’t settle in Swansea, to our benefit, but he’s a very good player at this level. 

We were under the cosh until NML dummied the ball to him, and got it back from a great reverse pass.  From that moment on the team & crowd were lifted, and we were the better side from then on.  His constant pressing from the front and running into channels gave us a positive outlet.  Shame that one of the post didn't go in, would've capped an excellent performance...

22 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Watched the goals back and pretty sure is a Bristol defender going crazy about Yates being offside. Was straight from the throw wasn’t it?

It's Tw(h)ine - he's complaining about NML making a run across the 'keeper, in spite of there being a City defender playing everyone onside.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 11.59.35.png

Edited by Animal is a Ram

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It's Tw(h)ine - he's complaining about NML making a run across the 'keeper, in spite of there being a City defender playing everyone onside.

Yes, I remember that. I couldn't work out what he was moaning about!

What pleased me most from Saturday was his first touch. He didn’t always try and bring the ball close and inevitably end up with a defender tackling him, he would try and gain a yard with a flick away and then run on to it. It meant the defender didn’t like getting tight and often opened up a counter attack from the space he had.

Really intelligent play that kept bringing the runners around him in to play. 

On 31/08/2024 at 21:13, RadioactiveWaste said:

My Swansea mate didn't rate him at all, hopefully, gets proven massively wrong.

I agree. Yates is rubbish and Swansea should just cut their losses and leave him with us for a token £250k fee. No idea what we'll do with the lad, but perhaps he could help pop some cones out for the other players or summat. Another rubbish Warne signing, mither, mither.

22 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He didn’t settle in Swansea, to our benefit, but he’s a very good player at this level. 

Can you blame him? It's a 'pretty shitty city'.

34 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yes, I remember that. I couldn't work out what he was moaning about!

The high pitch note of his whining means it's only discernible to dogs and those with finally attenuated hearing levels. Luckily, l fall into the latter bracket (or both according to some poor judges) and confirm that he was not in fact complaining about an offside, but rather the fact that, 'that Irish barstool just gave me a f****** wedgie'. No need to thank me.