Investment

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Americans love on brand empires so LA Rams owners being the owners of Derby who are known as the rams would be a lightbulb moment for them. Problem is, the Kroenkes own it an they also own Arsenal so cannot own another club in england. 

The Kroenkes could always dispose of Arsenal and trade up to the Rams😂

Seems a highly logical thing to do in my view 😂😂

22 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t think anyone will buy 80% of the club to leave DC running it.  He’s talking about remaining as chairman. imo he’d be chairman of a board stacked with nominees of the majority owners 

That’s the way I read it. Chairmen of most limited companies are not much more than figure heads. They certainly don’t run the day to day business 

16 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

What is truly our potential? We have a 33k stadium and the home capacity has been filled a few times recently? Posters always say “30k” each week but it’s really about 27k/28k. This might sound pedantic but the likes of the Dirties have 26k waiting list for STs and are planning to expand their ground to 53k. The dogs are planning to expand to 50k. Granted our population is a lot smaller than those two but i wonder where we top out…

Leeds has a population of 900K? Derby 250K? It’s not surprising Leeds have a waiting list for season tickets. Their support is actually poor considering the size of the city. 

23 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

What I find amazing is that many fans still think that having wealthy owners who will throw money at football clubs, and constantly allow them to run at a sometimes vast loss is the way forward.

I think every club should be made to run within its means, any declared trading loss (ie more cash out than in) Should be an immediate points deduction both in the current season and the next two seasons also. Lets get serious about it.

If football was run this way there would be no need for wealthy owners on an ego trip.

Lets face it, "investment" is never going to create any sort of return in today's football world. We could lose a large amount, gain promotion and then still need more to make good the vast losses made in the premier league. Why? basically because players are paid way too much, and ridiculous transfer fees, which are lost at the end of the contract when a players moves for free.

So wage cap, squad size cap, and no trading losses allowed. Plus some transfer value allowed on a player at the end of a contract. Easy...

If you make clubs run within their means then there will never be a change to the hierarchy. The “big 6” have had a couple of decades to build up £1B+ turnovers with massive international fan bases. 

If we want other clubs to ever be able to challenge them they have to be allowed to invest cash into their squads to try and level the playing field on the pitch. 

20 years ago its was Man City trying to crash the party. Now it’s Villa and Newcastle. 

I’m not sit suggesting reckless owners is a good thing but a certain amount of losses should be allowed. 

17 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

What is truly our potential? We have a 33k stadium and the home capacity has been filled a few times recently? Posters always say “30k” each week but it’s really about 27k/28k. This might sound pedantic but the likes of the Dirties have 26k waiting list for STs and are planning to expand their ground to 53k. The dogs are planning to expand to 50k. Granted our population is a lot smaller than those two but i wonder where we top out…

I don’t think ground size makes much difference . Bournemouth are proof of that , but they do have excellent training facilities. Look at theirs and the likes of Leicester. They make Moor Farm look like an old folks home with Rams stickers in the window . Mels B S was that it was “State of the art”. 

37 minutes ago, Ravanelli said:

Leeds has a population of 900K? Derby 250K? It’s not surprising Leeds have a waiting list for season tickets. Their support is actually poor considering the size of the city. 

Not just the city, but there are no other decent sized clubs in the area at all, whereas we have 5 or 6 similar sized clubs within an hours drive, and some smaller ones like Forest as well.

also when they were rubbish they didn’t even open all the stadium, it’s only because they had a couple of Prem seasons that they’re filling the ground.

42 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I don’t think ground size makes much difference . Bournemouth are proof of that , but they do have excellent training facilities. Look at theirs and the likes of Leicester. They make Moor Farm look like an old folks home with Rams stickers in the window . Mels B S was that it was “State of the art”. 

It was good for a Championship club - we wouldn't have got Cat.1 status without it. Don't you remember the major scheme that got rejected by Erewash? That was designed to make it first class. 

A new investor might have the financial chops to build a new and better one in a location away from Earwash Borough Council and Oakwood nimbys.

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Taken with a pinch of salt, that "derby5hire" bloke on twitter reckons it's a US consortium led by Stephen Pagliuca that's close to investing.

And interestingly...

This kind of thing would be ideal. The model of multiple clubs in different regions under one owner is certainly successful. You get some best practice knowledge of how to be successful from other clubs in the group. 

City Football Group have stakes in about 7 clubs now besides Man City.

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

A new investor might have the financial chops to build a new and better one in a location away from Earwash Borough Council and Oakwood nimbys.

There was a married couple who had moved to Oakwood from Norwich a few years before Moor Farm was built, At Planning they organised a Not in my Back Yard protest, Plenty of signatures/complaints and objections...Derby City Council won the day and Moor Farm got the go ahead.

Soon after the Norwich couple bailed out, It was found out that they were a couple of habitual protesters that knew what was what...so I guess they moved onto their next project.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

There was a married couple who had moved to Oakwood from Norwich a few years before Moor Farm was built, At Planning they organised a Not in my Back Yard protest, Plenty of signatures/complaints and objections...Derby City Council won the day and Moor Farm got the go ahead.

Soon after the Norwich couple bailed out, It was found out that they were a couple of habitual protesters that knew what was what...so I guess they moved onto their next project.

Deleted my pedantic comment and it was pointless and I don't want to be an internet pedant (any more than I already am).  As you were and apologies.

Edited by LazloW

7 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Our support doesn't just come from Derby. We have a very large population within a 20 mile radius of Derby City centre and only have Forest, Notts County and Burton to compete with. We can certainly be a premiership club if Bournemouth, Burnley and Brentford can be( just sticking with the B's to illustrate the point) We just need a few years of consistent good management in the Boardroom and some reasonable investment plus a good manager. I think we have all of those ingredients now minus perhaps the investment which is what this thread is about   

Fair comment and a good point ..

I sometimes wonder if the rich man’s play thing will endure. I don’t mean established PL clubs, they are trophies for very big hitters and sovereign wealth funds. It verges on politics . I mean one step down. Mel for us, Reading currently and other large ish Championship clubs, do available funds run out ? How many are making a genuine profit ? Not many .. so “investment” will always initially be a gamble on promotion otherwise it isn’t going to yield anything. Different story if you go up beforehand and invest to keep/reap the rewards. 

Meanwhile I wonder  what any of us would define a “reasonable investment ? (Beyond what’s going in now and in the recent past ) Regardless of controlling stakes and who’s the head man in the long run; what has it got to be as a cash injection to actually spend on players and wages to attract and maintain those players ? Bigger transfer budget and funds for the consequent wage bill: 10 / 20 / 30 million ? And for how long if the goal isn’t achieved ?

If Amanda Staveley sold her small stake In Newcastle Utd , she could easily afford to buy the Rams . She is well connected and would bring in massive investment . We could get in the Prem and pay the likes of Raheem Stirling £250k a week . But would us Rams fans be happier paying double for our season tickets ? We haven’t had a poll for ages . 

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

Taken with a pinch of salt, that "derby5hire" bloke on twitter reckons it's a US consortium led by Stephen Pagliuca that's close to investing.

And interestingly...

You know for a fact the first dodgy dealing we do from our sister club Atalanta we'll have the book thrown at us, even though Watford have done the same for years.