Realistic expectations for this season.

I filled out my season predictions (results for every game) for the RR group. I totalled 47 points.

That in previous years gone by is anywhere between 23rd and 19th.

I mentioned before but the Championship is such a funny league depending how you are. Every game can look winnable, or a tough game.

Swansea (A) looks an easy game for somebody like Leeds, but a tough game for somebody like Sheffield Wednesday.

When I filled out the predictions I didn’t see too many games where you think ‘banker three points there’. 

I think we will start every away game, bar maybe Oxford or Plymouth, as underdogs. Even Millwall will probably start a home game with us as slight favourites. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I filled out my season predictions (results for every game) for the RR group. I totalled 47 points.

I mentioned before but the Championship is such a funny league depending how you are. Every game can look winnable, or a tough game.

Swansea (A) looks an easy game for somebody like Leeds, but a tough game for somebody like Sheffield Wednesday.

When I filled out the predictions I didn’t see too many games where you think ‘banker three points there’. 

I think we will start every away game, bar maybe Oxford or Plymouth, as underdogs. Even Millwall will probably start a home game with us as slight favourites. 

Liverpool will win the Premier League...

I meant Arsenal..

No, sorry, that was a typo, it's Liverpool, definitely Liverpool...

Actually, Arsenal have by far the easiest run-in

Oh crap...

Remind you of anyone?

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I meant Arsenal..

Actually, Arsenal have by far1 the easiest run-in

Oh crap...

Remind you of anyone?

Very cynical.

Fortunately for you... I can see your stars have aligned today and someone will approach you today with an opportunity, and someone close to you with a name starting with a C or an M ....or a B..will contact you with good news.

Hopefully that will convince you of the Mystic Meg capabilities of our community. 

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How can you do predictions until the transfer window shuts ? Another 4-5 players especially a couple of decent forward ones could change things very quickly. Then also down to squad depths if injuries hit. 
Same goes for all teams , last season the Champ was rather poor and congested from say 10th down , don’t see it being much different this year. 

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

How can you do predictions until the transfer window shuts ? Another 4-5 players especially a couple of decent forward ones could change things very quickly. Then also down to squad depths if injuries hit. 
Same goes for all teams , last season the Champ was rather poor and congested from say 10th down , don’t see it being much different this year. 

Perhaps then one could do another prediction based on that? Or is that forbidden. 😄 #COYR

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yup agree and not forbidden 😉 , but seems a waste of time doing one now without knowing the full squad for us and the other teams ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

This thread is about realistic expectations for the season, id say every post in here is completely pointless, all 10 pages worth, if we need to wait until the end of the window to make a prediction.

Things could change, infact things WILL change, more players will arrive.

But at the minute, with no number 1 and no signs of the forward line having been significantly strengthened from last season, id say a relegation battle and most likely relegation, would be a realistic prediction.

Derby do have a history of not delivering the final player(s) needed, so this could be the case come September 1st...hopefully though expectations are raised massively.

40 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yup agree and not forbidden 😉 , but seems a waste of time doing one now without knowing the full squad for us and the other teams ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Keeps one off the streets. 😄

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I actually think being the underdogs will suit Mr Warne and the way he wants to play, I think it could upset quite a few teams especially away from home. I think that's where he comes good 

5 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Because it has to be done before the first game of the season. 

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I meant Arsenal..

Actually, Arsenal have by far the easiest run-in

Oh crap...

Remind you of anyone?

So I was wrong about who won the PL title last season. And? I don’t think I ever claimed to be some sort of mystic meg.

If I could successfully predict the future, I would be a multi millionaire. Alas, I’m not.

Our chances of survival/competing will solely rely on who we sign. If we struggle to sign any worthy attacking mids or a goal scorer at this level, I see us fighting to get out the bottom 6, if we do sign the above, I see us competing mid table, which would do me fine.

I would be happy if we stayed up, anything better is a bonus. Last year I think the difference between 14th and 22nd was 6 points. Two wins doesn’t sound much but in our case I think it will six hard won draws. I believe we will become difficult to beat, possibly after a tough start. I hope we will do better than 21st, but that is where many YouTube pundits have us. Bet365 had us at 16th, but that may only be 3 points above 21st. Some say that Warne will be gone before Christmas, and their logic is that he isn’t a strong enough tactician or a ruthless manager. I like the chap, I hope he succeeds. He has brought us back up and achieved our best points tally yet, finishing stronger than teams around us. I believe we will be okay, my worry, like most of you on here ( that know a lot more about football than I do) is we will not get a strong enough striker to compete, and we may struggle to score goals. So I think we will survive but I’m not confident about finishing above 16th, but clearly I expect us to be automatically promoted. 🤥

I think the main big goal for me is 17 wins and depending on how many draws you have on top of that can get you as high as 9th or it can take you as low as 16th but aiming for those amount of wins is a good sign of growth. It's definitely achievable and I think we can really pick up some good results in that mid season/depths of winter where the football can get a bit scrappy like we did last season.

Two elements that is going to be interesting is our fanbase at home. Can we claw some points with our atmosphere and not be moany groany if we are 1-0 down with 30 mins to go. Also what's going to be interesting is Warne's nature to try and win matches at all costs rather than taking the draw. It's going to be interesting to see if Warne has that other side to him of being pleased to take a draw.

Either way back the team and if we keep a positive atmosphere as a fanbase we can hopefully see the best out of our players. 

Gah. I thought pre-season was a time of false hope and unrealistic expectations. 

And yet, everyone is hoping that we scrape into one place above the drop. 

Shame on you all. B4 would reprimand reach one of you for such negativity. 

Reminds me of one of Chubby Brown's cleaner jokes: "I was in Darlington the other night. No, don't laugh. It's not easy coming from somewhere where the football season ends in October."

On 07/08/2024 at 10:24, Marriot Ram99 said:

Would people really be happy with 21st place , 48 points, a -20 goal difference and 7 home wins? I know I wouldnt, if we are s*** but stay up I wouldnt be pleased as I think we should be putting in foundations for future seasons as long term we dont want to be at the bottom end of the league closer to bottom than top 6.I think Clowes may sack Warne if he backs him with some decent signings and our performance was around that.

Generally agree with this & @IslandExile sentiments. The idea we should be content with 21st is depressing (even if many of us fear it) & I don't think is representative of what the club would accept. Whilst it certainly won't happen this season & possibly not next, the plan will be to have Derby competing at the top end of this division certainly by Year 3 but for that to happen, the foundations need to start being put in place asap - not simply a relentless focus on desperate short term survival. Warne can also forget about new contract talks until he demonstrates he is able to firmly establish the club back at this level.

Obviously others will have their own benchmark for what is acceptable or not but for me the benchmark is 55 points (and tracking throughout the season at or above that level). Why 55? Two reasons; firstly, no side has ever been relegated from the Championship with 55 points (54 the highest but generally 50 or lower for 22nd placed team) & in the majority of seasons, that would be enough for a placing above the bottom 6. Secondly, 55 points was the tally that Wayne Rooney's ragbag side earnt on the field in 2021-22 in some of the most difficult circumstances that any Derby manager has ever had to endure. Therefore for Warne to achieve less than 55 points (or to be on track to achieve less) considering the relative advantages he has in comparison would be unacceptable in my eyes & should see his position at risk. I should add that its only fair for Warne to get properly judged on this metric once the window has finished & he has had a few games with his finalised squad - i.e. from mid-October.

Anything above 55 points constitutes a solid season & something from which we can build in season 2. Anything above 60 points & Warne should get enormous credit. He sounded bullish in his Telegraph interview posted today, lets hope he backs it up with the results.