Signing players from abroad, an added bonus if you find a gem

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Brighton are on a different level for this kind of thing. Wenger had it easy when he started, he just went back to France. Wolves just got any Portuguese players on Jorge Mendes book.  Brighton seen to have the entire planet covered.

It's 'easy' when the first step of scouting is done via stats - filter every palyer worldwide down to a select few. Being an established PL club known for developing players before selling them to top clubs is also a major selling point.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's 'easy' when the first step of scouting is done via stats - filter every palyer worldwide down to a select few. Being an established PL club known for developing players before selling them to top clubs is also a major selling point.

I agree to a point the analysis is one thing, the interpretation of the results is another. This might me where our new data science comes into play. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The second step isn't easy though, how much would a club be able to sell Bellingham for if Southgate was manager?  

5 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Brighton are on a different level for this kind of thing. Wenger had it easy when he started, he just went back to France. Wolves just got any Portuguese players on Jorge Mendes book.  Brighton seen to have the entire planet covered.

He did a great job at Arsenal financially as he had an uncanny knack of getting players for a knockdown like Henry and then selling them for a huge sum just as before they became half as good.  He did nick Petit of Derby though.  Literally on his way to sign a contract, then turned the car around when he got an offer from Arsenal. 

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

That's where the Peterborough philosophy of focussing on attacking play comes in. 

That’s a good point . If you can win games 4-3 then the players stats for goals/assists look much better . It’s much easier to sell players who rack up 20 goals a season . Brighton have a similar system . 

5 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I agree to a point the analysis is one thing, the interpretation of the results is another. This might me where our new data science comes into play. 

In a book about how the Pittsburgh pirates baseball team used data to revolutionise the way they played the game, their general manager spoke about how everyone can read a piece of data, but it takes a talented analyst to interpret the data and use it efficiently.

While I only have a small understanding of the backgrounds of the new analysts, the fact that they worked with the England cricket team is promising. They were very effective in using data to find the characteristics of an ideal XI down to what they wanted from each role, then finding players that can carry out the role they were assigned to. Nathan Leamon and Ben Jones wrote about this is their 'Hitting against the spin' book.

The likes of Brighton and Brentford have been very successful in signing players who fit the mould of a player they were looking for while using data. However, there have been teams who didn't use it as well. In the National league I believe Oldham were into using data to recruit players. What they ended up with was an expensive squad who were far better on paper than they were on grass.

All being well the new analysts will open up new markets for us to recruit quality players from and help us push forward. This may have already started as who had heard of Kenzo Goudmijn or Jacob Zetterstrom before this summer? Both look decent on clips I've seen, so hopefully they play just as well for us.