People who are universally loved

13 hours ago, Crewton said:

Mandela's a difficult one. There's no evidence he ordered or took part in any attacks that harmed people, and he called a halt to the armed struggle pretty quickly to concentrate on peaceful protest. Eventually, he earned the respect of many who once hated him, except perhaps the real white supremacists - but does their opinion matter?

In general, if someone is hated only by bad people, should that be taken out of the assessment?

In fairness, it's a fact that he formed MK, the armed wing on ANC so can't be absolved of links to violence but he clearly advocated action that led to minimal casualties.

I briefly met Mandela in the 90s and can confirm from that brief encounter that he's a decent chap. Don't believe anyone is universally popular though....

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Heard quite a few musicians and producers interviews, who have worked with him during the 70s and 80s say he was difficult to work with. Arrogant, spikey, not receptive to constructive criticisms. 

Linda McCartney on the other hand, they all went out of their way to say how wonderful she was.

Maybe. The stuff I've read tends to be more recent. Pretty sure Michael Parkinson said he was one of the most unassuming superstars he'd interviewed. 

And Quora is largely members of the general public posting. I'm sure even the nicest people clash over artistic differences. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Maybe. The stuff I've read tends to be more recent. Pretty sure Michael Parkinson said he was one of the most unassuming superstars he'd interviewed. 

And Quora is largely members of the general public posting. I'm sure even the nicest people clash over artistic differences. 

Phil Collins said he was spiky and was fully aware that people were getting to work with Paul McCartney when it came to getting it his way.  On the flip of that, Collins  first job as a professional in the studio was with George Harrison doing some drum filling and apparently he was brilliant, especially with young musicians who were fully aware they were working with George Harrison and he really put them at ease and had a laugh.  In interviews he always seemed quite the misery, so looks can be deceiving.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I suppose I based it on that I'd never heard anybody who had met them say anything other than good stuff. And all of the ones I mentioned, there is a lot of kind stuff under the radar that only gets out when the recipient shares it.

I knew a guy who was a lighting engineer on a bunch of Hollywood movies. He said Robbins always ate with the crew, ever stayed in his trailer as many do and would spend all his downtime talking to the crew and making everybody laugh. I also had a mate meet him in SF (my mate is a local) and he stopped to talk with him for 20 minutes.

Thinking about it, Keanu Reeves is another one who just seems to be a lovely, caring person by all accounts. I think a lack of ego is what I'm getting at.

I know two people who've encountered him.  One who was working at a theatre in London- expected -and one who had a chat and photo with him when he was in The Crewe and Harpur at Swarkestone - not so expected-.  He was very nice on both occasions.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hans Datdo-Dishes said:

A teenager at birth 😃

Haha - I think they meant Priscilla. Yes she was 14 when she met Elvis but they didn't marry until she was 22

According to her autobiography, Elvis was a devout christian and refused to have intercourse until they were married. In interviews she admitted to being a virgin when they wed, but added "mind you, my mouth sure wasn't!" 😳

Edited by Stive Pesley

From my young niece to my Dad...all the family loved Rik Mayall. Me personally, followed his career since 'A Kick up the Eighties' and the Kevin Turvey character. Met him once after a standup show. He was very polite to myself and others. Happy to stay and do chat/autographs/pictures. We could not believe it when he passed away.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

I would venture to speculate that no one is universally loved, everyone has their faults, even Jesus isn't appreciated by all.

4 musicians come to mind who are to the best of my knowledge widely respected.

Bob Marley - he was a serial adulterer, but even his Xes spoke well of him (on camera)

Ringo Starr - some overbearing fans complained that he was rude to them and ignoramuses call him a poor drummer.

Cat Stevens, until he became a Muslim?

John Lennon, hugely respected for his music and peace activism, yet had horrible personal faults.

Remember a dentist in The States paying a lot of money to buy his molar. He also had the teeth of other celebrities in a rather macabre display in a unit.  His ambition was to hold onto them till DNA can be extracted and manipulated to ensure any offspring he had or any grandchildren can have it infused into their own DNA to give them the genius inherentent in these teeth.

Rather grisly and in the case of John Lennon he'll have children who can write some good tunes but will drop out of school,  go to court refusing to be his child at 18 and be obstinate to the point of driving him to tears.  He's not really considered the other bits, or that creative genius or not, you need to be right place right time or have the cash to circumnavigate it.

11 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

In fairness, it's a fact that he formed MK, the armed wing on ANC so can't be absolved of links to violence but he clearly advocated action that led to minimal casualties.

I briefly met Mandela in the 90s and can confirm from that brief encounter that he's a decent chap. Don't believe anyone is universally popular though....

Yes I met him as well then. Seemed a really nice bloke but he had his detractors, some denouncing him as a communist terrorist and others saying he worked too closely with apartheid supporters

6 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yes I met him as well then. Seemed a really nice bloke but he had his detractors, some denouncing him as a communist terrorist and others saying he worked too closely with apartheid supporters

Such is life, no-one will be without detractors...

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

A bit less serious than some others mentioned but nonetheless valid. For us old uns anyway.

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton. 

Possibly the two most loved football players in England. Not even fans of the biggest rivals of the clubs they played for disliked them.

Strangely, Beckham is pretty popular these days (although far from universally), whereas he was despised everywhere after the Argentinian sending-off. 

Hugh Jackman is another actor who few people have bad things to say about. And Chris Evans (the actor not the DJ).

Posted (edited)

In this day and age it's unlikely you won't find dirt on someone if you dig enough. 

Remember there was a story of Shaun Barker arrogantly pushing his way to the bar in Derby one night

When all he really did was what a lot of people do in a crowded bar. Reached through with his hand holding money to get it on the bar. 

Edited by Alph

On 06/06/2024 at 21:10, Cisse said:

Muhammad Ali

I'm the biggest Ali fan from a boxing perspective but politically he had some quite challenging beliefs, particularly around mixed race marriage. He also was a pretty poor husband until very late in life. But what a boxer!!!