Wildsmith

DCFC1388

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Can’t we have a separate ‘glory days’ thread ? You lot could recount tales of footie derring do to your hearts’ content and everyone else would be able to decide whether to share the glorious nostalgia 

We're bored Kev.....

There's no rumours, nor confirmed incomings.

We're whiling away time.

Not really a problem though is it? Not distracting you from the total lack of any news or owt is it?

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We're bored Kev.....

There's no rumours, nor confirmed incomings.

We're whiling away time.

Not really a problem though is it? Not distracting you from the total lack of any news or owt is it?

It’s just that it’s  embarrassing to be reading about the heroics of 40 year old amateur footballers when there’s a champions league final to be watched 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Can’t we have a separate ‘glory days’ thread ? You lot could recount tales of footie derring do to your hearts’ content and everyone else would be able to decide whether to share the glorious nostalgia 

I've heard a rumour that @MadAmster is coming out of retirement as Paul Warne is looking for an experienced midfield player 👌

34 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've heard a rumour that @MadAmster is coming out of retirement as Paul Warne is looking for an experienced midfield player 👌

Should be fine as we don't use our midfield, read it on here.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Oi!!

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s just that it’s  embarrassing to be reading about the heroics of 40 year old amateur footballers when there’s a champions league final to be watched 

Personally I'd be more embarrassed about organizing my evening around watching a bunch of sausage eaters and bull fighters bore everyone to death.

But maybe that's just me.......

• 2 months later...
On 24/04/2024 at 00:43, Ram1988 said:

One of the best keepers we have had for years. I would be offering him a new contract. 

How long have we been talking about replacing the Golden Glove winner ? Can’t say we have not had enough time . 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

How long have we been talking about replacing the Golden Glove winner ? Can’t say we have not had enough time . 

RD Ed Dawes reckoned that until a few days after the Carlisle game - according to Wildy - there was a contract on offer but we changed our mind to his surprise. I suppose you could ask why he didn't sign it before then but...as you say we've had 'uncertainty' over our no.1 keeper for quite some time. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

RD Ed Dawes reckoned that until a few days after the Carlisle game - according to Wildy - there was a contract on offer but we changed our mind to his surprise. I suppose you could ask why he didn't sign it before then but...as you say we've had 'uncertainty' over our no.1 keeper for quite some time. 

I expect whatever Wildsmith had been asking for, the club had decided long before then they weren't going to come to an agreement, but there is no way they could pull the existing offer while the season was still in-play.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

I expect whatever Wildsmith had been asking for, the club had decided long before then they weren't going to come to an agreement, but there is no way they could pull the existing offer while the season was still in-play.

And so still the Club/Warne knew we needed another keeper for quite some time, as @jimtastic56 said.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

The Golden Glove is more a testament to our defence, I can't think of many games when the points earned were solely down to Wildsmith.

Out of curiosity, I've just run through Whoscored's ratings for last season and Wildsmith comes in at 13th on match ratings, that's bottom half. Part of this is probably down to the fact that he generally had little to do, but would you be wanting the 13th best league one keeper in the Championship this season?

Regarding the amount of time available to sign a keeper, we are in the hands of other teams and players here, if we were in Birmingham's situation without restrictions and mega rich owners, then they can afford to pay out over the odds for players to get things done early, but we have a strict budget to work to and won't be blackmailed into wrecking our financial structure for one or more players. Let's hope that the club have got it right with JWZ and he's worth hanging on for.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

The Golden Glove is more a testament to our defence, I can't think of many games when the points earned were solely down to Wildsmith.

Out of curiosity, I've just run through Whoscored's ratings for last season and Wildsmith comes in at 13th on match ratings, that's bottom half. Part of this is probably down to the fact that he generally had little to do, but would you be wanting the 13th best league one keeper in the Championship this season?

Regarding the amount of time available to sign a keeper, we are in the hands of other teams and players here, if we were in Birmingham's situation without restrictions and mega rich owners, then they can afford to pay out over the odds for players to get things done early, but we have a strict budget to work to and won't be blackmailed into wrecking our financial structure for one or more players. Let's hope that the club have got it right with JWZ and he's worth hanging on for.

WhoScored's ratings I would say is more beneficial for attacking players and midfielders than defenders and goalkeepers as they tend to use volume metrics, so the busier the goalkeeper the more points they score and higher rating. Wildsmith was solid for us, bar some moments of madness, we really can have no complaints. 

I do feel that we could've gone with Wildsmith for this season and probably had no complaints, but I always felt that Warne & Co were never completely sold on his mechanics/ability despite him being solid for us. I suspect that's why we moved on when we did and I suspect that's why there wasn't a ton of options for him despite being on a free. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

WhoScored's ratings I would say is more beneficial for attacking players and midfielders than defenders and goalkeepers as they tend to use volume metrics, so the busier the goalkeeper the more points they score and higher rating. Wildsmith was solid for us, bar some moments of madness, we really can have no complaints. 

I do feel that we could've gone with Wildsmith for this season and probably had no complaints, but I always felt that Warne & Co were never completely sold on his mechanics/ability despite him being solid for us. I suspect that's why we moved on when we did and I suspect that's why there wasn't a ton of options for him despite being on a free. 

How do you know this? His choice was WBA, we don't know who he turned down.

Edited by RoyMac5

Wildsmith was offered a new deal. He dithered. The club said fine, we'll move on, hence the interest in Václav Hladký, Johansson, Iverson, Rodak and JWZ. Listening to the traditional carpers on here you'd think we've not even tried to replace him. Joe had an opportunity, he tried to be cute and the club called his bluff. He's yesterday's man and has ended up as a benchwarmer as a result. 

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And so still the Club/Warne knew we needed another keeper for quite some time, as @jimtastic56 said.

Would you rather overpay on new signings? Protracted negotiations are part and parcel of getting value on new arrivals. Or we could return to the MM approach of just paying over the odds to get our man quickly- that worked out really well didn't it?

Identifying targets and obtaining their signature are two radically different processes, handled by two separate teams. The fact you've namedropped Warne here is actually quite comical because he has virtually no sway in length of transfer negotiation. You'd be more accurate chucking Stephen Pearce's name in there, though for some reason you seem to think Warne is more of an issue than the mastermind who executed MM's transfer strategy in the latter years... 🤔

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Would you rather overpay on new signings? Protracted negotiations are part and parcel of getting value on new arrivals. Or we could return to the MM approach of just paying over the odds to get our man quickly- that worked out really well didn't it? Identifying targets and obtaining their signature are two radically different processes, handled by two separate teams. The fact you've namedropped Warne here is actually quite comical because he has virtually no sway in length of transfer negotiation. You'd be more accurate chucking Stephen Pearce's name in there, though for some reason you seem to think Warne is more of an issue than the mastermind who executed MM's transfer strategy in the latter years... 🤔

Is that the only other option? 

Warne gets the final say on who is signed doesn't he?

So Pearce does our contract negotiating - I've asked before who does it, but no reply.

Thanks for your input. 

Edited by RoyMac5