Electric Vehicles

ram59

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

It's going up to £190 per year next year unless the new government scrap the proposed change....and there is a lot of talk of scrapping Road Tax completely and switching to a mileage based system, though I've no idea how that would be implemented....

Extra tax on fuel. Oh, yeah, wouldn't work for EV drivers... 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I realise that the "no Road Tax" benefit was introduced as an incentive to switch to EVs, but it's completely iniquitous, unless someone is going to claim that EVs don't travel on roads 😉

Surely, eventually, they're going to have to either reintroduce RT for EVs or road pricing tolls for all, because roads don't come free?

For years I drove a 1.6 diesel, and that was zero road tax. I know the rules changed , so if I bought that car new now, there would be road tax. I think though, if I was to buy the same car second hand now, it would still be zero tax. 

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

It's going up to £190 per year next year unless the new government scrap the proposed change....and there is a lot of talk of scrapping Road Tax completely and switching to a mileage based system, though I've no idea how that would be implemented....

Same basic principle as smart meters for domestic electricity. A gadget in your car connected to the 3g phone network. Likely offered as a benefit at first... "Get one these fitted and benefit from reduced road tax". 

But that won't last long. Loss of tax income from falling ICE fuel sales will need to be made up from somewhere in the future.

22 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Same basic principle as smart meters for domestic electricity. A gadget in your car connected to the 3g phone network. Likely offered as a benefit at first... "Get one these fitted and benefit from reduced road tax". 

But that won't last long. Loss of tax income from falling ICE fuel sales will need to be made up from somewhere in the future.

Trouble is that the gadget can potentially be disconnected/blocked and then people won't be paying - I'd expect a proliferation of ULEZ type cameras across the country (which will then be used for all sorts of shady monitoring by big brother). There's not an easy answer that people won't object to or that they can't get around - particularly with older cars that don't have the technology already built-in....

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

I realise that the "no Road Tax" benefit was introduced as an incentive to switch to EVs, but it's completely iniquitous, unless someone is going to claim that EVs don't travel on roads 😉

Surely, eventually, they're going to have to either reintroduce RT for EVs or road pricing tolls for all, because roads don't come free?

Our 65 plate Nissan Note is zero road tax.

9 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Trouble is that the gadget can potentially be disconnected/blocked and then people won't be paying - I'd expect a proliferation of ULEZ type cameras across the country (which will then be used for all sorts of shady monitoring by big brother). There's not an easy answer that people won't object to or that they can't get around - particularly with older cars that don't have the technology already built-in....

I know people won’t want tracking.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a Volvo xc40 recharge full electric car.

We have ran a plug in hybrid for the past 3 years and it's been great but we realised we primarily use it in electric mode,rarely dipping into petrol.

We have found charging at home is extremely cheap and on the odd occasion we have to public charge,I'll treat as you would putting petrol in on the motorway i.e a very rare event.