Notts County or Chesterfield

MarsdenRam

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Should be called the Lionel Pickering Stadium.  The insane amount we paid for Craig Short, 300 k more than we got for Mark Wright a year before, paid for it.  A second tier club breaking the British transfer record for the sale and purchase of a defender  and at the same time holding the overall British record for a transfer fee all in 12 months.  Only at Derby. 

I seem to remember Graham Richards calling it the Lionel Pickering Stadium in the 90's which didn't go down well in Nottingham.  😁  Short and Tommy Johnson together were around 4 million which was the majority of the stadium's cost.

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not much quality on show- can't imagine PW is coming away from Wembley thinking of bidding for any he's seen this afternoon.

Spirites back in front in extra time.

I bloody hope not

My notts mates have been raving about rodrigues and langstaff all season.

iv watched the last 3 games and wouldn't touch either with a bargepole 

Not much quality on show in this game, but nevertheless as a neutral  I have enjoyed watching it, especially with the bonus that it is a good result for local football either way.

So happy Notts won they deserved to be promoted after the season they have had. Think it's about time 3 National League teams get promoted, to get 107 points and lose out in a play off would have been devastating for Notts. Imagine how we would feel if that happened to us? The only criticism I have of Notts it was like they were been managed by COCU with there negative passing around. 

I think when the promotion was set between the Conference and EFL there was a much bigger gap in terms of finance between the two. 

The thought of relegation from the EFL would have been devastating. It was almost a death sentence for a club.

These days the Conference is much stronger, with some great teams, grounds and attendances. BT Sport coverage, too.

Only one automatic promotion place is ridiculous.  Should be two, with a third coming up through the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think when the promotion was set between the Conference and EFL there was a much bigger gap in terms of finance between the two. 

The thought of relegation from the EFL would have been devastating. It was almost a death sentence for a club.

These days the Conference is much stronger, with some great teams, grounds and attendances. BT Sport coverage, too.

Only one automatic promotion place is ridiculous.  Should be two, with a third coming up through the playoffs.

I agree, one automatic promotion place makes it an incredibly difficult league to get out of. Increasing it to two has been mooted for next season though whether it happens is anyone's guess, I suspect the biggest stumbling block might be the EFL although it must benefit them having the likes of Notts and Wrexham back. The playoffs are loaded in favour of the higher placed teams though with 2nd and 3rd going straight to a one game semi final with home advantage

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Your so right angieram it shows you the strength of the Conference when last year's champions Stockport are in the league 2 play-off's to get into league 1 for next season, also against Salford another former Conference team. I've enjoyed a lot of the football from the Conference on BT Sports. 

7 minutes ago, chezzyram said:

I agree, one automatic promotion place makes it an incredibly difficult league to get out of. Increasing it to two has been mooted for next season though whether it happens is anyone's guess, I suspect the biggest stumbling block might be the EFL although it must benefit them having the likes of Notts and Wrexham back. The playoffs are loaded in favour of the higher placed teams though with 2nd and 3rd going straight to a one game semi final with home advantage

Well, if two went up automatically,  they could have a four team playoff that mirrors the EFL arrangement,  would give an extra team something to play for and increased revenues too.

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, if two went up automatically,  they could have a four team playoff that mirrors the EFL arrangement,  would give an extra team something to play for and increased revenues too.

There are currently 6 teams in the playoffs so it would reduce it by one but I agree it would be a much more sensible and fair way of doing things, especially in a season where the top two exceed 100 points.

Congratulations to Notts, a team of that size and tradition should be in the football league but hats off to Chesterfield too, they were there very much as the supporting cast but gave everything and gave Notts a very hard fought game