Alton Towers

MrsRam

Went yesterday. Stayed at the Splash Landings Hotel Thursday night, had an hour in the park the next morning for just the hotel guests - not all the rides were open, but did nemesis and oblivion twice. :D. Then walked at least five miles round the whole park, in totally wrong footwear. Was left hanging at the end of Air over a massive pile of sick, for 10 minutes, whilst they checked something :eek:

Can't believe I've lived so close to it all my life, and have never been.

A part of me was disappointed.......anyone else feel the same.?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to queue - I think we were lucky, with the kids having an inset day. The longest we had to wait was 40 minutes, and that was with a 10 minute break down, so it wasn't too bad. I came away with the feeling that Alton Towers is resting on it's name and doesn't feel that it has to sell itself to anyone. Praps just my feeling of the place.

The black hole is no more, but oblivion is the best......:eek:

Blackpool Pleasure beach is better.

Free parking o nthe street nearby.

No Queues

As many big rides - Big One, Infusion, Revolution, Big Dipper, Rollercoaster, Grand National, Avalanche, Valahalla.

Kids section has loads of rides in easy walking distance (<5 mins) to all adult rides. Great for parents to share the young kiddie burden and spend time on big rides wihtout someone missing out.

You can walk from one side of it to the other in under 10 minutes.

Lots of old rides that make you think you are going to die - Steeple chase where you sit on a carasel horse and go round a track at 30mph and almost fall off in the bends, one fo the fastest caroussells ever that tries to throe you off and into the workings.

Dodgems

Great Kiddie rides, and my kids loved them too.

And costs less than Alton Towers, is open later and the big rides open even when it is raining.

AND BEST OF ALL NO FECKING QUEUES. we went midweek at end o fAugust and didnt Queueu -Fridays are the best day because its changover day in Blackpool.

Theres a MCD's just down the road for cheap eats, and the country's biggest Burger King on the site which isnt much more than high street prices.

Well being as any coastal club we've ever played inthe last 3 seasons, are on a week night - we knew we'd have to pay for the pleasure. Still the same this season isn't it. Perhaps Norwich might be a good weekend - even the Scum got weekends at blackpool, and they're further up the list of hooligans than us.......:mad:

Went yesterday. Stayed at the Splash Landings Hotel Thursday night, had an hour in the park the next morning for just the hotel guests - not all the rides were open, but did nemesis and oblivion twice. :D. Then walked at least five miles round the whole park, in totally wrong footwear. Was left hanging at the end of Air over a massive pile of sick, for 10 minutes, whilst they checked something :eek:

Can't believe I've lived so close to it all my life, and have never been.

A part of me was disappointed.......anyone else feel the same.?

I live 6 miles from the "Towers" and never go there unless we get a free ticket. My son-in-law sometimes gets freebies as he does some contract work there otherwise we'd never go.

The queues are miserably long most of the time and the food and drink is dearer and worse than at Pride Park.

Horrible place.

The youngsters love it though so perhaps I am just a grumpy old ****.:frown:

i can guarntee norwich is a good weekend, seriosly i walked round in a debry shirt after the game i didnt buy a drink all night, god love the norfolk boys

Had some amazing days (and nights) in Norwich. Good pubs and the locals are sound as long as you don't take the mick too much.

Away fans are generally welcome even late in the evening after the match.

One of the better places to go to watch the Rams.

Lookin forward to Norwich then - it's a bank holiday if i'm not mistaken.

Uttox - I wouldn't go back unless someone paid for me tbf. The kids loved it - the fact we've been to Florida twice, seemed to escape them. One or two good rides, nice gardens, (I think, it was foggy), kids went off to go on Air for the third time, I just sat in a bar with Stella - :D

Alton Towers is actually a nice place Mrs. Ram, the gardens are superb and it is set amongst some beautiful scenery and countryside. Like you say, the youngsters love it, some good rides etc. But for those having to pay full price its a dear day out and can be very frustrating with the queues.

we have got wet,n wild(ooh err mrs) movie world, dream world about 10 mins from where i live , only been to them once due to the vast amounts of holiday makers

brilliant place for famillys to spend the day , locals can buy a season ticket for $99 dollars which gives them unlimited access,

so if anyone is coming to the gold coast let trig know and will sort out cheap tickets for you

Lookin forward to Norwich then - it's a bank holiday if i'm not mistaken.

Uttox - I wouldn't go back unless someone paid for me tbf. The kids loved it - the fact we've been to Florida twice, seemed to escape them. One or two good rides, nice gardens, (I think, it was foggy), kids went off to go on Air for the third time, I just sat in a bar with Stella - :D

Hi mrsram, how you doing? Hope you are well:)

I kind of agree with you about Alton Towers. It's pretty in parts and well maintained, the only bit that's not I think is used as a haunted wood? I bet that would be good come halloween.

I think it's a bit too spaced out, there is miles of walking to do isn't there inbetween "zones", I'm sure if I remember rightly I've had to walk barefoot because my shoes were killing me:frown:.

Have they re-opened the cable cars yet? The last time we went it one of the stations had been damaged by fire - the one near the charlie and the chocolate factory ride I think it was. One of our kids is going on a school trip there tomorrow and I told her to jump on them if they are working, it might save a bit of a hike (and I've had to bulldoze her into wearing her trainers, she wanted to wear heels!!)

Sometimes I think the rides need to be a lot higher and a lot longer but they aren't allowed to build anything above tree height because of the land laws in place. A bit of a shame that because I suppose they're always going to be restricted and can't do anything like Blackpool can.

But, oh well - Air is good anyways, and Nemesis and oblivion. I didn't like that one where you go upside down and water jets come up at you, Ripsaw I think it's called. Scared me silly that one did.

The re-fill on drinks is quite a good deal though - but you get my vote for having a Stella! :D

This thread makes me feel very ancient! I remember as a 10/11 yr old in early 50's driving for hours cos my mum wanted to see the gardens! We lived in darkest Leics! If I remember correctly, the height of excitement was a model train layout!!

I've always loved fair rides - Blackpool was great even back then - but my great disappointment has been that I developed vertigo just as these modern rides were being developed. I did once ignore it, take a pill and enjoy it - then had to lie down for 3 days!

Oh bad luck there Archram - my father-in-law always used to love the big rides too but was advised by his doc to stop, due to his health reasons.

The Big One at Blackpool is great though, but when you're on it and you have hailstones coming at you, it bloody hurts and you end up wishing you'd not got on in the first place :frown:

Oh bad luck there Archram - my father-in-law always used to love the big rides too but was advised by his doc to stop, due to his health reasons.

The Big One at Blackpool is great though, but when you're on it and you have hailstones coming at you, it bloody hurts and you end up wishing you'd not got on in the first place :frown:

I'm surprised you didn't have to pay extra for all that excitement! Mind you, there's a few rides I would have been better not to get on!!!;)

This thread makes me feel very ancient! I remember as a 10/11 yr old in early 50's driving for hours cos my mum wanted to see the gardens! We lived in darkest Leics! If I remember correctly, the height of excitement was a model train layout!!

I've always loved fair rides - Blackpool was great even back then - but my great disappointment has been that I developed vertigo just as these modern rides were being developed. I did once ignore it, take a pill and enjoy it - then had to lie down for 3 days!

The first time I went the main attraction was Corkscrew and Log Flume - the train set was still their and they a had a great mini luge thing in a concrete track which was cool.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/oldrides/alpine.htm

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/oldrides/coasters/alpine3_small

Archived