Average league position of opponents - remaining games

admira

The average league position of the remaining opponents for each promotion contender:

Some of the lower teams are fighting for their lives so not always to use this as an identifier of 'easiest run-in' but here goes anyway.

Looks like we could have it all to do...

Overall:

image.png.136aeb5e7b31793fa1d20c4eaa0ae12e.png

Home games:

image.png.b91691db1b3d92b9c97d888ca1e79316.png

Away games:

image.png.7b09efeafde0e7b18842b462264f4118.png

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

With our inability to beat anyone decent in this league we could end up with only a couple more wins and that’s it.

Exactly. I've heard people calling Exeter away as 3 points.  Really?  Not on current form it won't be. 

If we don't vastly improve we've got no chance of making the playoffs.

You can look at graphs, take in stats, look at form but nobody's going to predict exactly what will happen in every remaining fixture. We can all guess and I've done that loads of times. I stated a while back that the current top 6 (yes it's still the same 6 teams) will remain in the top 6. What positions they will finish in is even hard to predict now, but a few matches ago most were saying Sheff Weds was nailed on for automatic promotion (agree they are still favourites with the bookies).

7 hours ago, admira said:

The average league position of the remaining opponents for each promotion contender:

Some of the lower teams are fighting for their lives so not always to use this as an identifier of 'easiest run-in' but here goes anyway.

Looks like we could have it all to do...

Overall:

image.png.136aeb5e7b31793fa1d20c4eaa0ae12e.png

Home games:

image.png.b91691db1b3d92b9c97d888ca1e79316.png

Away games:

image.png.7b09efeafde0e7b18842b462264f4118.png

Not too surprised to see this given how many of the bottom 8 we've played so far - Warne's spell in particular has seen us play a disproportionately high % of bottom half teams;

image.png.6681f1d3e4e07a54d406487a9311467f.png

As yesterday's game demonstrated, unexpected results can happen in this division but our results are quite predictable given the data above. It would be surprising if we started to deviate significantly from that in our remaining 8 games.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not too surprised to see this given how many of the bottom 8 we've played so far - Warne's spell in particular has seen us play a disproportionately high % of bottom half teams;

As yesterday's game demonstrated, unexpected results can happen in this division but our results are quite predictable given the data above. It would be surprising if we started to deviate significantly from that in our remaining 8 games.

Rosenior beat more top half sides in his short spell than Warne has since.

Now I’m not saying one is better than the other.

But our form against the better sides is a concern. And I think it’s fair to question the manager in this regard.

I don’t for one minute feel our squad isn’t good enough for the top six.

Yet if you do a league table of the current top half teams against each other since Warne came in, Derby would probably be bottom.

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Could this be why PW failed with Rotherham in the Championship every time?

When his teams come up against teams with better (more successful) managers, with better tactics and more adept players , he hasn't go the tactical  know how to respond.

Edited by StrawHillRam

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

Could this be why PW failed with Rotherham in the Championship every time?

When his teams come up against teams with better (more successful) managers, with better tactics and more adept players , he hasn't go the tactical  know how to respond.

You may be right but we won’t know until he has built a team with the players he wants. Maybe Rotherham were not able or prepared to fund the purchase of players (and offer attractive enough wages) to be competitive in the Championship (they were doing OK this season before he left weren’t they). 

Barnsley's 12 match unbeaten run came to an end tonight, beaten 3-1 by Exeter City, Stats, charts, form tables can be thrown out the window it's the business end of the season. Teams at the top, have no easy games, if you are playing a team near the bottom they're fighting to stay up. If you are playing a team in the play-offs or just outside, they are fighting to stay in contention. If you are playing a mid table team, the pressure is off they can play with no worries and some of their players are playing for new contracts or trying to get noticed by a better/bigger club.

I think we are done.

If there was 1 factor for our poor form I'd say we could turn it around, if it were an injury, a suspension, an off day, for example.

But it isn't, the players and manager have just suddenly imploded. 

Warne isn't picking the right teams (what has Barkhuizen done wrong), our midfield isn't able to dominate, key players like Mendez-Laing look knackered and our defense has more leaks than a holy bucket.

Such a shame after a great season, but that is where we are.

I expect us to finish around 8th or 9th, it'll go down as an opportunity missed, but a better than expected season and Warne starts his rebuild sooner.

20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think we are done.

If there was 1 factor for our poor form I'd say we could turn it around, if it were an injury, a suspension, an off day, for example.

But it isn't, the players and manager have just suddenly imploded. 

Warne isn't picking the right teams (what has Barkhuizen done wrong), our midfield isn't able to dominate, key players like Mendez-Laing look knackered and our defense has more leaks than a holy bucket.

Such a shame after a great season, but that is where we are.

I expect us to finish around 8th or 9th, it'll go down as an opportunity missed, but a better than expected season and Warne starts his rebuild sooner.

So with 24 points still to get you've surrendered. Sheff Weds have lost 2 games on the bounce and have'nt won in 3, are they not getting an automatic place as well. We are 6th, the only way we would lose that position would be for the teams below us to get more points than us, even if they match us on results they fail to get above us. I think our current position is a true measure of where we are, that's being the 6th best side in the League. When you consider the squad was only put together a few weeks before the season started it's a brilliant achievement. And if we do remain in the top 6 after the last game of the season, we end up playing cup games, the league position no longer counts. 

So FGR (our next away game) beat Sheffield Wednesday. Exeter (another of our away games) beat Barnsley. All we need now is for MK Dons to win at Wycombe on Saturday to reinforce any fears we have about our remaining fixtures. 

Of course a MK Dons win would be an excellent, if incredibly unlikely, result for us.