James Collins

RoyMac5

12 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Just before my time...but he must have been better than Collo.

It's impossible to say as we'll never see Hales play in this team against this opposition or Collins play in the team Hales did but Hales wasn't very good at all. Possibly not as bad as we remember him because he arrived in his prime (I can't remember how old he was) after scoring for fun at Charlton so our expectations were probably much higher. 

Collins is on 8 or 9 goals so far? To be honest I think if others were scoring around him I don’t think we’d really notice a lack of goals, especially considering that he’s in and out of the side. Not that I particularly want to point fingers but like on Saturday we create chancers that aren’t being put away by our attacking players in general, it’s not down to one player.

He needs decent crosses into the box, most of which end up in row z or towards the corner flag. I imagine he’d be quite dangerous from set pieces, in which our delivery of is also pathetic. 

I imagine he must get quite frustrated at watching the 12th cross of the afternoon soar over his head or hit the first defender. 

granted he’s not Haaland but we’re not playing to his strengths, at all

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It's impossible to say as we'll never see Hales play in this team against this opposition or Collins play in the team Hales did but Hales wasn't very good at all. Possibly not as bad as we remember him because he arrived in his prime (I can't remember how old he was) after scoring for fun at Charlton so our expectations were probably much higher. 

Read my assessment of Hales at the bottom of page 2 in this thread. Tells you all you need to know about the lad. He was 25 when we signed him.

5 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I always smile when I read "Derek Hales" when it comes to "poor DCFC players". Admittedly, he only got 4 goals in 28 appearances so the stats say he wasn't very good. We paid £440K for him. Sold him to Wet Spam for £330K. He scored 10 in 24 for them. They sold him back to Charlton for, IIRC, £100K. IMO 10 in 24 at WHU was a decent return.

Pre Derby, he was at Charlton. Scoring goals for fun. How? He had a strike partner (I still think strikers should hunt in pairs), Mick Flanagan, a 6 foot 3 striker. His knock downs and flicks on supplied some of the ammunition for Hales to score. The rest came form his running on to through balls using his electric pace over 20 yards. That was his skill set. That was his style. DCFC saw the goal stats and bought him. Once bought, we stuck the number 9 on his back and played him as the target man. Not his bag by any stretch of the imagination. His goal stats stand up everywhere he played. Except that is at Derby. We played to his weaknesses rather than his strengths and I blame DCFC for the lad's failure at the BBG.

Truth is, he only became available because he wasn't the only Hales that MF was "scoring" with. That led to a training ground fight and the transfer away.

Basically, I blame the club for Hales' ineffectiveness, not Hales. 

It’s what we do, even when we aren’t forced to by EFL restrictions as we are st the moment.

Or, as Mel once said, “It’s the Derby Way”!!!

Edited by DavesaRam

17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

It’s what we do, even when we aren’t forced to by EFL restrictions as we are st the moment.

Or, as Mel once said, “It’s the Derby Way”!!!

Yep. Buy donkeys who have had less than average careers. They then have one good season at CF so buy them and... play them on the wing. As we have proven on more than one occasion, that doesn't work.

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Yep. Buy donkeys who have had less than average careers. They then have one good season at CF so buy them and... play them on the wing. As we have proven on more than one occasion, that doesn't work.

Although I thought Collins looked better out wide than in the middle, but that's not saying much! 😄

On 27/03/2023 at 11:05, TuffLuff said:

Collins is on 8 or 9 goals so far? To be honest I think if others were scoring around him I don’t think we’d really notice a lack of goals, especially considering that he’s in and out of the side. Not that I particularly want to point fingers but like on Saturday we create chancers that aren’t being put away by our attacking players in general, it’s not down to one player.

Actully he Is on 11 goals for season.

On 26/03/2023 at 09:17, Rich3478 said:

Was going to say this, he tries to press but rarely if ever actually wins the ball or blocks a pass.

I think the willingness is there but the half yard he used to have when younger isn’t there and his touch isn’t good enough once that’s gone. He could still poach but we play in a way that doesn’t provide that many poachers chances. 
My Nephew who remembers him playing for Luton in his younger days says he was always a worker and crafty with it, but just as they were about to hail him as a god he start playing rubbish for games on end, then just about when everyone was groaning and moaning at full pitch, he’d score a brace 

todays the day Collo !

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

I do wonder why we don’t give Barkhuizen or Dobbin a try up front.

They have both previously had games in that position, and can’t be any worse…

Hes tried dobbin the other week but it was his like of end product let him down, cant remember what game it was he tried it off the bench, i keep saying give barkhuizen a go up top he played it for preston multiple times

In all fairness to collins he works really hard i have been massively critical on him in the past but at least he has passion and fight for our team! Currently thats what we need we try to be too nice as a team league 1 is a dirty league and it doesnt suit alot of our players, we should of kept kaz! 

Edited by Dcfcsr92
Added abit

I wasn’t too displeased to see Collins in the team yesterday but even his closing down seemed to have lost its zip.

McGoldrick needs a more dynamic partner. Time after time yesterday he was holding off defenders waiting for someone, anyone, to make themselves available.

Confidence is low and no one is demanding the ball.

The way Cashin and Forsyth pass to each other without committing defenders or advancing us in any way when we’re losing is embarrassing.