David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Barkhusien scores and will replace Lawrences goals but another goal snatcher like a 'Bobby Davison' is key. 

I'm also worried about the goals , although if our defence is solid we only need the odd player to score over 10 to do well in this league and I think hourihane and barkhuizen and mcgoldrick could get close , I do feel like we are still missing the main goalscorer that could be the difference between midtable/play offs to top 3 etc

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If it's true that both are coming, I hope it's Stretton who is kept as third choice. Collins, McGoldrick and Kazim would seem excessive to me.

You would rather Stretton than Kaz?

For me Stretton has shown naff all when playing for the first team. 

1 minute ago, w8sey said:

We'll be lining up with 1 up top, therefore, game time for 3rd choice will be limited. Stretton will be on lower wages, offer something different to the others, but still be a goal threat as he has shown at ever level he has played.

Three 30+ forwards isn't the way I would go. Two experienced forwards with an up and coming youngster (Stretton) is what I would do, so some wages could go towards someone with a more important role in the squad.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'll be lining up with 1 up top, therefore, game time for 3rd choice will be limited. Stretton will be on lower wages, offer something different to the others, but still be a goal threat as he has shown at ever level he has played.

Three 30+ forwards isn't the way I would go. Two experienced forwards with an up and coming youngster (Stretton) is what I would do, so some wages could go towards someone with a more important role in the squad.

It’s not the age necessarily more you’ve got three very similar players, Stretton gives you a different option, could even play 2 up.  Plus he’s an exciting talent who will probably flourish in the next couple of seasons.

10 hours ago, w8sey said:

Ah yes, after 7 appearances for the first team, mostly as a late substitute, and **only** one goal, we must consign this 20 year old local boy to the scrapper.... ? 

I remember Dean Sturridge making his early appearances and thinking "this kid is quick, but he can't hit a cow's a**e with a banjo". How wrong I was..... 

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ah yes, after 7 appearances for the first team, mostly as a late substitute, and **only** one goal, we must consign this 20 year old local boy to the scrapper.... ? 

I remember Dean Sturridge making his early appearances and thinking "this kid is quick, but he can't hit a cow's a**e with a banjo". How wrong I was..... 

Not sure Stretton has quite got the pace of Deano ?

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I would be happy to be proved wrong. But let's be honest there must have been a reason why he only made 7 appearances. Plange moved himself ahead of him and we played Lawrence out of position when kaz/plange where unavailable. He won't get a season with less competition than last season.

1 minute ago, w8sey said:

I would be happy to be proved wrong. But let's be honest there must have been a reason why he only made 7 appearances. Plange moved himself ahead of him and we played Lawrence out of position when kaz/plange where unavailable. He won't get a season with less competition than last season.

He was injured wasn’t he ?

8 minutes ago, w8sey said:

But that reason doesn’t automatically have to be that the lad isn’t up to it. Maybe he wasn’t quite right after his injuries and couldn’t be risked. Maybe he wasn’t ready for the fight at the time but has put on some muscle over the summer given that he’s probably still physically growing. Maybe Rooney didn’t fancy him to play the lone striker role but Rosenior will. Maybe Rosenior will utilise him in a front 2 in a different formation. 
It could be that he wasn’t up to the task, it could be any number of other reasons. The facts now are that he’s part of the small squad we have, he’s scored goals in the academy, we currently have limited options and so let’s get behind him and see how he does in pre-season and the season itself. 

35 minutes ago, w8sey said:

He was injured for most of last season. Niggly stuff. He needs to get clear of that stuff, but he's got as good a nose for goals as I've seen come through our ranks. 

I hope he can stay fit this season and show what he's capable of. He could do some damage in L1 with the kind of service he'll get from Barkhuizen, NML, Hourihane and Mcgregor.