David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Hope not.

One of the biggest questions for next season is if Stretton is finally able to stay fit. If so, we will set the division alight with his goalscoring ability. If not, we'll need someone else to give a regular supply of goals and that is definitely not David McGoldrick. There will be young, hungry, pacey, powerful strikers in the lower leagues who will be champing at the bit to come to a club as big as us to show what they can do.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hope not.

One of the biggest questions for next season is if Stretton is finally able to stay fit. If so, we will set the division alight with his goalscoring ability. If not, we'll need someone else to give a regular supply of goals and that is definitely not David McGoldrick. There will be young, hungry, pacey, powerful strikers in the lower leagues who will be champing at the bit to come to a club as big as us to show what they can do.

I think you will find we need experance players as young players we going to need depth in the team now like I said we will be playing 3 cup compensations this season fa cup league cup papa John's troupys.

8 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Presumably he would not sign for us on less money than Boro were offering? 

Maybe this tells us something interesting about Championship clubs trying to save costs?

If you live in nottingham would you prefer to drive to Derby every day or Middlesbrough?

I like the idea of McGoldrick due to his experience, proven quality and knowing how to find the back of the net.

McGoldrick, CZR and Stretton would certianly give us options and squad depth. This will be important as the season goes on and to give us fire power off the bench. Neither McGoldrick and CZR will be able to play every game due to their age and having options will help keep them fresh.

My only slight concern is will Stretton get the minutes needed to develop?  

Edited by Ram1988

1 minute ago, Ram1988 said:

McGoldrick, CZR and Stretton would certianly give us options and squad depth. This will be important as the season goes on and to give us fire power off the bench. Neither McGoldrick and CZR will be able to play every game due to their age and having options will help keep them fresh.

My only slight concern is will Stretton get the minutes needed to develop?  

That's two blokes in there mid thirties- one who's basically been injured constantly bar a couple of months for a year and a young lad who is also constantly injured.  I'd take McGoldrick but we need two strikers of a decent fitness and one needs to be able to score some goals fairly regular and not just link up which is his game.   Wage wise this really needs to a priority as it's likely to be the most expensive bit of any rebuild.  Can see CKR being sacrificed to free wages to be honest.  We need some pace up top and have done for 3 years.

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's two blokes in there mid thirties- one who's basically been injured constantly bar a couple of months for a year and a young lad who is also constantly injured.  I'd take McGoldrick but we need two strikers of a decent fitness and one needs to be able to score some goals fairly regular and not just link up which is his game.   Wage wise this really needs to a priority as it's likely to be the most expensive bit of any rebuild.  Can see CKR being sacrificed to free wages to be honest.  We need some pace up top and have done for 3 years.

Hopefully McGoldrick won't demand massive wages but he wants to come for the challenge and be part of something and not just a pay check. The fact he lives fairly local also has to be a bonus.

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Martin didn't have pace, but his skill set allowed those around him to prosper - wingers and AM. McGoldrick will be our L1 equivalent 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Martin didn't have pace, but his skill set allowed those around him to prosper - wingers and AM. McGoldrick will be our L1 equivalent 

He scored regular though.  Granted he has a reasonable record of goals in this league for Coventry but that was some years back.  Not against it as we need players but we do need some goals.  Getting someone without a fee or low fee is tricky as are wage caps on a striker with 20 goals in them so may have to be some Malcolm Christie type of shopping on the go. We have done some of the best non league striker hunting to match any club really back to the 70's Davis, Gee, Wilson, Christie and there's probably more. 

I agree that mcgoldrick will be a decent signing but if we could find a young lower league striker from here or abroad I think it’ll help as we do need someone like a Bobby Davison or an Alan Biley type player who are goalscorers im yet to be convinced by Stretton  or maybe look at a loan from prem 

On 03/07/2022 at 12:45, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Depends what kind of system we're looking to play... 2 up front then definitely! He holds the ball up well and would bring a lot of chances to a strike partner... As a lone striker, I think we need someone with a better strike rate.

The sort of player that might dovetail with Sibley in the team - Sibbo needs those players who hold it do little give and goes. 

17 hours ago, S8TY said:

I agree that mcgoldrick will be a decent signing but if we could find a young lower league striker from here or abroad I think it’ll help as we do need someone like a Bobby Davison or an Alan Biley type player who are goalscorers im yet to be convinced by Stretton  or maybe look at a loan from prem 

We will hopefully see some younger strikers next season who might fancy a move to us in the future if we want them